My husband and I have been regular customers of Handpicked hotels for 3 years now and Ettington Park definitely lived up to the Handpicked expectation.
We booked Ettington Park for a night away and a bit of R and R. The hotel itself is a beautiful old building with lots of character set in stunning surroundings. As everyone else has commented looking out the window and seeing the deer running or grazing a few feet away is really special.
Our room was just beautiful, room 50, the Pritchard Suite, right up in the rafters of the hotel with stunning views across the parkland! Beautifully decorated with a real home from home feel and a lovely raised area with table chairs and dressing table. Tons of character and a really really comfortable bed!!!
A welcome addition was the fresh milk in the fridge - something we have always felt would have been nice in the other hotels.
There are wellies, umbrellas and bikes in reception so you can go out exploring no matter the weather. Natasha the receptionist also provided us wih information on walks locally and showed us the book she had made in reception full of information about what to do in the local area. Very handy!
We had dinner at the hotel, an experience that is always a real treat at Handpicked. Canapes and pre dinner drinks in the Grand Drawing room - an absolutely stunning room, followed by dinner in the dining room. Aaron our barman made us delicious cocktails and Hubert our waiter was equally fab during dinner. I had the deconstructed kedgeree followed by locally sourced Lamb and then local cheeses. My husband had cheese scone with poached egg, lamb and the baked meringue. All was delicious! Breakfast the next morning was a continental buffet with hot cooked to order. Again well cooked - my personal favourite is the poached smoked haddock and poached egg. Big thanks to Nick the head chef.
We also made use of the swimming pool - definitely a must do - the glass roof would be lovely in the summer and the jacuzzi has a nice canopy of star lights above it.
Picking up on a couple of other people's comments - the house is an extremely old building with lots of history - part of the charm of the building I personally think! So yes occassionally something may go wrong or not work as well but the joy of staying at Ettington Park was the fact the staff seem to be genuinely proud of their hotel and want to make you feel as welcome and at home as possible. Any problem would be quickly resolved! The lift was a little tempermental when we were there - but someone always offered to help us carry our cases.
There was a large conference happening when we were staying but we did not find this detracted from our experience at the hotel - it was all kept seperate from the main hotel.
Particular thanks go to Damon - full of enthusiasm and a welcoming face when you arrive, Aaron the bar man who was fab in the evening, Hubert our waiter who provided a discreet but personal service, Nick the maitre de and Natasha the wonderful receptionist - she really takes pride in her job and making sure your stay is as wonderful as possible.
Our only regret was that we only had one night booked!!
Thanks to all at Ettington Park - you have definitely won us over as our favourite UK hotel now! We will definitely be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ettington Park Hotel, the only AA 4 Red Star hotel in Stratford-Upon-Avon, is set in 40 acres of parkland in a verdant valley with the River Stour meandering through it. Situated just six miles from the centre of the famed home of Shakespeare and just a few miles from the start of The Cotswold Way, this spectacular property is a world apart from the hustle and bustle of contemporary life. Built from six types of Cotswold stone, Ettington Park is furnished with fine paintings and decorated with friezes that trace its centuries of tradition and heritage. This is a country house where historic extravagance meets contemporary comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms, Priceline, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Lastminute, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Ettington Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Ettington Park
- Ettington Park Stratford Upon Avon
- Ettington Hotel Park
- Ettington Park Hotel Alderminster, Warwickshire