“Lots of charm”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
London, United Kingdom
“Lots of charm”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed for one night at this charming hotel. Lovely grounds, lots of character and friendly but not over the top staff. I stayed in room 14. Excellent night's sleep - quiet with a very comfy bed. Large bathroom - slightly odd layout around sink as nowhere to put your things but this wasn't important. I'm not sure if the central heating system was working or not but the two stand alone radiators in the room were very efficient.

I'm not a breakfast eater but the coffee was good, my colleague ordered waffles and I've never seen anything like it. She hadn't either and polished it all off! For a relaxed break, I would definitely consider staying at Ettington again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AnnaRz123
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for completing your review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel is stunning, both visually and in the levels of service and standards of accommodation and food which they offer. The hotel is set in extensive grounds which include a formal garden and a derelict chapel. Deer wander freely across the lawn as you are having breakfast and sheep graze in pastures beyond.
Our daughter's wedding took place here recently and we have visited several times over the last year to make arrangements. Each time we enjoyed excellent food served in matchless surroundings - dinner in the library or in the small indoor chapel is a feast both for the senses and the palate. The food is not cheap, but the quality is faultless and easily matches the standards of the top London restaurants. Service is always with a smile and nothing is too much trouble.
As we reserved many rooms for the wedding, we had a chance to view the full spectrum of accommodation on offer, from simple guest bedrooms to suites and all were spotlessly clean, with modern well-equipped bathrooms and supremely comfortable beds with light duvets and plenty of pillows.
The Victorian Garden Suite was ideal for the bride and her attendants to get dressed before the wedding, being huge with plenty of natural light from many large windows. It was also well-heated and had extra tables, chairs and sofas and a view of the chapel. The Shakespeare suite has an enormous window leading onto a 'Juliet balcony' which provided some fantastic photo opportunities.
The hotel has its own dedicated wedding team who made sure that the day ran like clockwork - unbelievable how efficiently we were moved from one room to another, which had been prepared whilst we were occupied elsewhere...
Breakfast was plentiful and hot, catering for vegetarians, those who like a 'full English', and both pastries and cheese and cold meats for the continental option. You were invited to take exactly what you liked, mixing and matching, adding yogurt, fruit, cereal etc., and a request from my husband even provided 'an excellent kipper'. They also managed to cater for a guest who we had warned was on a gluten-free diet.
We were too busy to use the swimming pool, which looks extemely inviting,however, in common with so manyother guests in our party, we really hope to return to Ettington Park again soon...

Room Tip: The Park Suite is extremely spacious and can take an extra bed for a child if required without feeli...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank noelrosie
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are so pleased to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay with us, your review has been shared with my team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us in the near future. Kind regards
Solihull
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a Friday night for wife's birthday. Had stayed before a few years ago and remembered how lovely the hotel was and we were so pleased we chose this hotel.

Ettington Park is like staying at a wonderful National Trust property. It is a beautiful building that has been well maintained and it is a privilege to stay there.

However, what was exceptional was the service. The staff were so helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I would say it is the best overall service I have received at a hotel.

The food was great too. We started early midday with "elevenses" a savoury version of afternoon tea which was wonderful and made even better by being able to enjoy it in the wonderful lounge with a huge Xmas tree. The evening meal in the Oak Room was superb - starter Pigeon followed by Guinea Fowl (full of flavour) and finished with a delightful Fig tarte. Then coffee in the lounge again which really is a lovely room.

Breakfast is excellent too and so much choice.

In conclusion, if you want somewhere special to stay that won't cost a fortune then Ettington Park is the place to book!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AndyM12345
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are delighted to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay with us, your comments have been shared with my team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I came to see Stratford, but wanted to spend half my 6 days, in the countryside, in an old manor, and with a heated pool, as I love swimming. This place is beautiful, and has many extraordinary and lovely rooms to see, so I suggest exploring. I didn't dine in their restaurant at night, but had a lovely soup in their beautiful lounge with a glass of wine when I first arrived, cold tired and jet weary. I was welcomed warmly and efficiently, shown a nice room, but looking out directly into rooms across the way and a dismal rooftop, when I had asked months ago, for a room on the to floor. When I called to be moved to the floor I had requested, I was told the entire 2nd, (top), floor, was being allocated the next night, to the guests of a wedding reception being held there. I am confused as to why these guests should be given all the rooms, and my request simply ignored? It doesn't seem right that my request was ignored completely, nor can I understand how having one guest or couple, from the wedding, sleep on a floor other than the 2nd, would inconvenience them? I travelled all the way from Texas, USA to stay 3 nights at this hotel, and requested a top floor room months ago. Then, my TV didn't work, but a nice woman from reception came up and fixed it. I have to say, I could hear the couple next door through the wall where my head was laying, as I tried to go to sleep, but oh, well. It was late, so I asked to be moved to a room not looking out on a wall, the next morning. I was shown a "garden" room, in the new wing. Also, very nice, but a bit more modern, yet they have taken great pains to keep it in the style of the original building. Then the Internet went down. Oh, well. Came back on later. The service was good, the breakfast good, but you can sort of tell they get a bit overwhelmed when the wedding people start arriving. It took a while to get served in the breakfast room. But there was a huge selection, plus ordered hot dishes, and the breakfast room itself is beautiful. The pool is lovely and warm, and there is a jacuzzi as well. I loved this. With the wedding finally over, I asked if my final last night, I might finally have a room on the top floor, which I was given. Moving 3 times, in 3 days, to finally get the room I'd requested months ago, was a bit rough. But I wanted at least ONE night, in the room I'd asked for and been looking forward to for so long. I have to say, I was annoyed, and exasperated, and felt less respected than these wedding guests, which I didn't understand. Finally getting into the room I wanted, I called to ask for a late check-out, but was informed curtly, that the answer was "NO", as, you guessed it, they had ANOTHER wedding coming in. Once again, the non wedding guests are treated like 2nd class citizens, as apparently ALL revolves around the wedding guests?! Whatever. Now, I couldn't wait to leave. Shame. Also, I was on foot, and told there was a bus to get to Stratford easily. It is a long walk down the drive to the road, especially in the cold and pouring rain, and there is only a sign on one side of the road. I got different directions from different people, and ended up standing on wet grass by the side of the road for 30 minutes with no bus, getting splashed by cars and trucks going by, and almost run over. I had to go BACK, and then out again, and finally made it to town. Then was given wrong information by townspeople, and ended up on the bus the the Ettiington CHASE Hotel, miles away. I was in tears by this point. Dark, pouring rain, and the bus driver told me I could walk across the fields to get to my hotel. Mercifully, and angel from Heaven- Rachel, from the Ettington CHASE Hotel, drove me herself, in her own car, back to my hotel. Bless her. So if you don't have a car, and are visiting Stratford, I can't recommend this bus business. If you decide to do it, get SPECIFIC directions as to where the stop is, and for God's sake, try to avoid being run over as you stand on the side of this busy road. Beautiful, old hotel, Pete and Ellen there were very nice, lounge and bar servers lovely. Do NOT understand why they choose to ignore individual guests wishes over the wedding parties. Why would I come back? I don't know what to say, as it's a lovely place. Charming, pretty rooms. Just be prepared to be pushed aside for the all important, never ending wedding guests! Oh, and they need to clean the phones in the rooms.

Room Tip: I think the rooms are all nice, depends on whether you like being up high or whatever. Apparently th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank InlovewGstaad
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regard to your comment made relating to your room allocation this is to ensure all guests who are not part of the wedding receive quiet rooms. Please accept my apologies that this was not explained to you at the time. I do very much hope that this will not deter you from visiting the hotel again in the future and should you decide to do so please contact me and I will ensure you receive the room you request. Once again please accept my apologies. Kind regards
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is the second hotel I have stayed in from the "Hand Picked Hotels" group. They are beautiful hotels. Our room was the largest hotel room I have ever been in. The bathroom was beautifully clean. The staff were very professional but friendly. The hotel building has been beautifully restored. The staff seem very proud of the hotel and it's history. The food was very good. Standards of hygiene were very high. The grounds and views were stunning. Thank you to all staff at Ettington Park for making our romantic stay perfect in every way.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Barbara S
Thank you for the completing your review and the comments you have made we are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and delighted that the team helped to make your romantic stay memorable. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My husband and I have been regular customers of Handpicked hotels for 3 years now and Ettington Park definitely lived up to the Handpicked expectation.

We booked Ettington Park for a night away and a bit of R and R. The hotel itself is a beautiful old building with lots of character set in stunning surroundings. As everyone else has commented looking out the window and seeing the deer running or grazing a few feet away is really special.

Our room was just beautiful, room 50, the Pritchard Suite, right up in the rafters of the hotel with stunning views across the parkland! Beautifully decorated with a real home from home feel and a lovely raised area with table chairs and dressing table. Tons of character and a really really comfortable bed!!!

A welcome addition was the fresh milk in the fridge - something we have always felt would have been nice in the other hotels.

There are wellies, umbrellas and bikes in reception so you can go out exploring no matter the weather. Natasha the receptionist also provided us wih information on walks locally and showed us the book she had made in reception full of information about what to do in the local area. Very handy!

We had dinner at the hotel, an experience that is always a real treat at Handpicked. Canapes and pre dinner drinks in the Grand Drawing room - an absolutely stunning room, followed by dinner in the dining room. Aaron our barman made us delicious cocktails and Hubert our waiter was equally fab during dinner. I had the deconstructed kedgeree followed by locally sourced Lamb and then local cheeses. My husband had cheese scone with poached egg, lamb and the baked meringue. All was delicious! Breakfast the next morning was a continental buffet with hot cooked to order. Again well cooked - my personal favourite is the poached smoked haddock and poached egg. Big thanks to Nick the head chef.

We also made use of the swimming pool - definitely a must do - the glass roof would be lovely in the summer and the jacuzzi has a nice canopy of star lights above it.

Picking up on a couple of other people's comments - the house is an extremely old building with lots of history - part of the charm of the building I personally think! So yes occassionally something may go wrong or not work as well but the joy of staying at Ettington Park was the fact the staff seem to be genuinely proud of their hotel and want to make you feel as welcome and at home as possible. Any problem would be quickly resolved! The lift was a little tempermental when we were there - but someone always offered to help us carry our cases.

There was a large conference happening when we were staying but we did not find this detracted from our experience at the hotel - it was all kept seperate from the main hotel.

Particular thanks go to Damon - full of enthusiasm and a welcoming face when you arrive, Aaron the bar man who was fab in the evening, Hubert our waiter who provided a discreet but personal service, Nick the maitre de and Natasha the wonderful receptionist - she really takes pride in her job and making sure your stay is as wonderful as possible.

Our only regret was that we only had one night booked!!

Thanks to all at Ettington Park - you have definitely won us over as our favourite UK hotel now! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Worth paying the upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Emsi999
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are so pleased to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards
st asaph
Reviewed 20 November 2013

From the moment you walk in to the time you leave the staff give you a genuine 5 Star service. The food and choice of wine is excellent. The setting for the hotel is perfect. The rooms are well decorated and furnished in a 1930's style (I could see Poirot the detective using his little grey cells).
The Spa facilities are beyond reproach.
We will be back, what a great experience. And thank you once again to all the staff.

Room Tip: The Suites offer the better views but the others are just as good
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anthonygrimshaw
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Ettington Chase Hotel
Ettington Chase Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ettington
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,413 reviews

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!