“Beautiful building, lovely stay”

Ettington Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Beautiful building, lovely stay”
Reviewed 9 August 2008

Stunning building, wonderful staff, lovely surroundings and breakfast in bed on room service with no extra charge! Really luxurious for a special occasion, highly recommended.

• Liked — luxurious bedroom and breakfast in bed
  • Disliked — the price!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 3 August 2008

Fantastic Fri and Sat night stay for two on the 1st & 2nd August 2008. A truly enchanting, ancient place, perfect for a weekend treat. Booked a Classic room with breakfast and dinner included. I wanted the Executive but these were all booked up at least a week before. I registered my email address with Handpicked Hotels and got a free bottle of pink champagne (summer promotion). This was waiting for us on ice in the room upon arrival. The room was lovely, well furnished with an excellent, huge bathroom (large bath and power shower incl.) Large flat screen TV and DVD with a facility to borrow DVDs from the hotel collection free of charge, which is a nice touch. Throughout our stay the service from the staff was superb, made to feel very special, particularly when arriving for the evening meal. There was a wedding during the weekend but this was managed in such a way that it no real impact on us at all. There's also the lovely grounds, which have a certain 'presence'. Try googling 'Ettington Park Hotel haunted'. There's also Stratford-upon-Avon to see nearby. But the jewel in Ettington's crown is the fine dining in the Oak Restaurant. It is amazing and I cannot recommend this enough. Even though the hotel was virtually fully booked, the whole place has a sense of ease and style that made it an absolute pleasure. Little things - when I arrived, I was asked if I would like a newspaper delivered, which I did. This didn't arrive but when I pointed this out, a member of staff scurried off to find one so no great problem. Oh, and you only got one packet of biscuits with the complimentary tea and coffee in the room, which is a bit stingy. But, if you can live with this, you will have a wonderful time. I did and I look forward to going again sometime.

• Liked — Great service, amazing food, nicely furnished and well equipped room.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything to be honest.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 25 July 2008

How refreshing it was to be able to have a business meeting without the usual stress & strain in a spectacular country retreat such as Ettington Park, with its relaxed surroundings & friendly efficient staff, whose sole purpose was to make your stay both pleasurable & memorable.

Our compliments to the chef for his exquisite cuisine throughout our 3 day stay & thanks to the conference hosts for the variety of locations provided for our dining experiences.

Ettington Park’s amazing grounds were perfect for our Corporate Event(s) & not even the weather could dampen a most enjoyable afternoon’s activities.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Shropshire UK
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Now as those of you have read my other reviews you will know that I am not one of those people who write a long moaning review just because my drink didn’t have the right amount of ice in it – a bit of an exaggeration I know, but you get the picture.

Anyway I will come back to that in a bit.

Firstly, I chose this hotel due to the reviews and the pictures shown on TA and did my usual homework before a final decision to book .
Ettington Park is situated only 5 miles out of Stratford and the beautiful grounds are reached by a long sweeping driveway. First impressions of the hotel were good and we only had a short walk from the car-park to reception. We were greeted by the young receptionist ‘Darcy’ who beckoned over the elderly concierge to help with our bags.

We were shown to our room by ‘Victor MELDREW’ who grunted and pointed in the air that, that was upstairs. He then stood there making no other conversation, hand slightly out and waiting for a tip. Surprised, as I was expecting the full spiel of the history of the hotel and the surrounding area I reluctantly handed over a ‘tip’.

The room itself was furnished to a very high standard and set on two floors. Ground floor had tea/coffee and a fridge. It had a sofa, dining table and plasma TV with DVD, no view though as the glass was frosted. Upstairs had a large comfortable bed, double wardrobe with hangers, iron and trouser press all close by. For those of you who are telly addicts a TV and DVD were also in the room The bathroom was lovely and bright with a powerful shower and complimentary toiletries. Both rooms had air conditioning which was a bonus as they were a little stuffy on arrival. As you can see from the attached pictures no view at all really but wasn’t really an issue unless you are spending a lot of time in there and not outside enjoying the fresh air and scenery.

We spent the rest of the afternoon having drinks both inside and out and enjoyed a pleasant walk around the grounds whilst having exceptional weather.

Now this is where the bad service continued and remained consistent throughout – drinks and afternoon tea. I enquired at the bar did we order here or could we take a seat outside and our order would be taken there, I was told to take a seat outside and somebody would be over shortly to take our order.

Sat on the patio area for fifteen minutes we had still not been approached despite approximately five members of staff milling around. I called over just to be told ‘in a minute’. Now this could have been as they were dealing with a small wedding reception, but surely they knew of this in advance and should have enlisted enough staff to be able to cope with the other guests?

This bad service continued throughout the afternoon with the empty glasses remaining on the table when fresh drinks were brought over – by myself as I got sick of waiting every time. When I asked at the bar for change of a note I was dismissed with a wave of a hand by a jumped up bar manager with a very dubious French accent – ‘Ask at reception’, He said.

Now Mrs Lardy and I had discussed eating at the hotel due to the rave reviews of the food but this was the straw that broke the camels back and I didn’t want to invest any more of my hard earned money into a hotel which clearly has a severe lack of interest and care in their customers. I took the advice from ‘LovelyDave’ on the forum and booked a table at ‘The Howard Arms’ in Ilmington, this is a pub/restaurant but what a world of difference (see my separate TR on the forum).

The morning of check out we ate a lovely breakfast but again service was poor, for the 27 diners I counted there was a waitress on her own taking orders and serving for around 20 minutes until she was eventually joined by two more staff. They even ran out of ketchup (unforgivable, LoL)

Luckily our evening away from the hotel had softened the blow of our stay, however I was going to raise the issues with ‘Darcy’ on check out when he asked how our stay had been. Guess what, the only thing he asked was can I have your credit card and what are you doing for the rest of the day. I felt it best to reserve my opinion for here to allow any management response to be heard for you to judge yourselves.

Would I stay here again – NO!!

Consistent bad service ruined it for us. A couple of things I normally let go but this was supposed to be a bit of a pampered night away, not a trip to be ignored and be treated like a petulant child.

On the way back I did pop in to an ‘Information Centre’ to get some ideas of other places and was encouraged by their comments that I was not the only person to have complained about the service.

I find it frustrating that in the current climate where money is tight for all of us that business’s like Ettingham Park should be doing everything possible to entice us back.

Management - Can I suggest that instead of getting your staff to pick up 'stones' from the driveway you fully re-train them and input some of them with some manners.

• Liked — The scenary
  • Disliked — The terrible service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LardyUK
Sussex
Reviewed 12 July 2008

Spent 2 nights here having found the hotel thru TripAdvisor. As usual found that the reviews just about match my opinions and this one deserved its no.1 rating for the Stratford area. Even using the hotel's own directions it was not that simple to find (but very easy when you know how!). Very glad indeed that we did find it. The location is very pretty and totally peaceful. Lovely old building in beautiful grounds. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially one of the porters for whom nothing was too much trouble. Only meals we had were breakfasts which were good without being exceptional. You could easily spend a few hours wandering around the grounds which is welcomed by the management - wellies and bikes available to borrow by reception. Am sure will stay again and maybe next time take in one of the nightly performances at the RSC in Stratford. You would need a car unless you are happy to take cabs into Stratford (about 20 mins). Would highly recommend Ettington Park.

• Liked — Peace and quiet in very pleasant surroundings
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
St Albans Herts
Reviewed 30 June 2008

We arrived at Ettington Park at teatime on Saturday and were made to feel welcome immediately. We were meeting friends as part of a surprise 50th birthday treat and started the break with a delightful cream tea outside on the pretty terrace. The waiter was charming and even brought us homemade cookies whilst we awaited the arrival of our scones and cream.
Following a walk around the stunning grounds we went to our rooms which were beautifully decorated and furnished to a very high standard and we relaxed there ( my husband was delighted to have a huge wide screen TV in the room-so he was extremely happy!)
We met for champagne in the bar at 9pm and the young lady in the bar was very sweet and attentive.
Our dinner was superb, the sallops were perfectly cooked(sometimes an issue!) and tyhe venison that I had as my main was tender and tasty.The chocolate pistachio terrine rouded the meal off beautifully.
The combination of excellent food, great wine and disceet but high quality service, ensured that it was a celebration dinner to be remembered.
Breakfast was of the same high calibre and we convinced ourselves that we all needed to taste the American pancakes with bacon-absolutely delicious.
We departed after another stroll around the grounds and were interested to hear some of the history of the Park from Damion, the charming young chap on duty in reception.
Despite being busy preparing for a wedding later in the morning , everybody was charming and made a real effort to make our departure relaxed and unhurried.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who exp[ects high standards of care, service, cuisine and friendliness. Ettington Park will not disappoint.

• Liked — Rooms and dining
  • Disliked — Swimming pool not open due to refurbishment
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank anna3palmer
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2008

My husband booked us 2 days here for our Wedding Anniversary as a surprise and oh boy, did he do well!

Upon arrival, we were greeted in a very friendly manner. Booking in took no time at all and we were shown to our room by a very friendly gentleman who was very polite and answered all questions we had.

The room was gorgeous, with a beautiful view of the 12th century chapel and the gardens. Not a fault could we find, very clean and well presented and maintained.
We had afternoon tea that day and sitting in the peaceful surroundings in the sunshine was blissful.

We had dinner both evenings and the food was beautifully presented and tasted gorgeous. My only problem was that you pay upfront for the dinner and if there's nothing you desire on the normal menu, then it costs you extra for something off the A La Carte menu, however, was delicious all the same.

We stayed in the new part of the building and after reading some reviews on here, I have to agree with the thin walls. We could hear everything our neighbours were doing, from switching on plugs to their fan in their bathroom and also, not sure if it was the Air Con or not, but there was quite a loud vibrating noise in the bedroom, like a generator, that didn't shut off till very late at night, not very good if you like early nights and are a light sleeper like me! However, we didn't let this spoil our stay and certainly wouldn't take away anything from the hotel itself.

I'm sure we will find another reason to visit, without doubt!

• Liked — Food, staff, location...need I go on!
  • Disliked — The slightly noisy room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#1 of 1 in Ettington
Stratford Limes Hotel
Stratford Limes Hotel
#1 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!