“2 day business meeting” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
Colchester, United Kingdom
“2 day business meeting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Nothing short of excellent. Staff were so helpful and friendly it made the meeting easy, they were very attentive but not intrusive. Facilities excellent, food excellent and rooms excellent.

I would book this venue again and would have no hesitation in recommending.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are pleased to hear that your meeting was a great success and very much look forward to welcoming you back in 2014. Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We booked 4 rooms for one night for a ruby wedding anniversary on 15 December, the highlight was dinner in the chapel, not too many places where you can have a private dinner party for 6 in beautiful surroundings and perfect service!! We started with drinks and canopes in the stunning drawing room, and then escorted to the chapel, where we had a wonderful evening and some of the most attentive service we've experienced. The rooms were beautiful, spotless and spacious, we were in the original part of the house, and all the rooms had great character and features. The grounds are beautiful too. The perfect setting for any special occasion.

Room Tip: Room 38 is in the original house, and a lovely view of the grounds
1 Thank Baggles2013
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are delighted to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your comments with my team and we very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards
Cheltenham, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Having just read a previous visitor's review is is going to taint mine somewhat as theirs was incredibly over-effusive and referred to their upgrade and amazing room with views. If only I could boast such a room however as a party of 10 arriving for a Murder Mystery Night and dinner for one night I probably shouldn't have expected them to roll out the red carpet...A room with a big bath and nice views would have been lovely though!! As it was two of our party including myself were housed for the night in the Garden Wing and as we were slightly nervous about any encounter with the live-in ghosts we were relieved to be in the more modern and ghost-unfriendly part of the building...

Positives: the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in and was huge. The welcome from Damien (Friday 13th and a Murder Mystery Night - I ask you!!) was fantastic and the staff in general were extremely friendly and helpful, having to help out more than once when I got lost down the back stairs. There was a really Christmassy vibe to the place which was lovely and the food was good - not excellent as there wasn't a lot of it and some of it tasted a bit mass produced but we can't complain as we were part of a larger event.

Negatives: I became extremely familiar with my neighbours' bathtime routine during the night and in the morning as the soundproofing in the Garden Wing is dire and all night all I could hear were loos flushing and heels tapping on tiles. Elements of the hotel are very tired and, although I appreciate a bit of cobwebbing and stuffiness adds to the overall ambience of the place it doesn't lend itself to any feeling of 5* luxury which is what the place boasts. Breakfast was a shambles as I had put an order in the night before for it to be served in my room however after apparently trying to ring me a few times while I was in the shower to find out if I was in my room (?!) it didn't arrive for over half an hour later than my chosen time and then it was meagre, thrown together and with dry pastries which wasn't what I had anticipated.

The Murder Mystery Players were fun and it added a dimension to an OK meal however serving dessert at 10.30pm really is too late and we all went to bed still hungry!

The grounds however are stunning and well worth a wander round as I found to my benefit when lost finding my way round an external 'short cut'.

All in all, a nice evening - I won't be back as there are better places to stay in the area for thev price however I am sure that if you are there for a special occasion and receive an upgrade then it could be marvellous.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank emsie72
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. when we are able to offer upgrades we do, however on this occassion we were not able too. I would like to apologise that you heard noises from rooms next to you also. Regarding your comments relating to breakfast, I have discussed these with both my head chef and operations manager and taken actin to ensure this does not recur. We do call guests prior to bringing the room service to your room, so they know when to expect us and can only apologise that they could not get hold of you. I do hope you will reconsider visiting us in the future. Kind regards
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I booked into Ettington Park Hotel on Friday 13th December with my partner and my parents to celebrate my 30th birthday. We arrived a little early with a friend who wasn't actually staying at the hotel with us. Unfortunately my room wasn't quite ready, however, my moms was so we were all shown there and told that staff would pop along with our keys the minute our room was ready. My mom had booked an executive room and was situated on the ground floor of the garden wing. Well what a room it was! It had absolutely everything you would need, incudling a view of the magnificent grounds (with a door opening onto a private garden area!) and the chapel. After haing a quick refresh we decided to grab a sandwich in the bar, we were advised by the very friendly staff that although we were more than welcome to dine there we may be more comfortable in the great drawing room next door. They were very right! it was spacious, comfortable and we even got to se several deer grazing in the grounds whilst we enjoyed tea and sandwiches (whic were also lovely).

Staff cam through to use just before 3pm to advise that my room was ready so as I was rather excited to see if my room was as good as my moms I popped straight up there. all I can say is WOW! We had been upgraded to the Park suite (room 2) in the main house. So that in itself was a lovely surprise. The suite was gorgeous, large bedroom/sitting area with the comfiest bed I've ever had in a hotel, a sofa and table and chairs for extra seating. the bathroom was out of this world with a huge shower and a large deep bath (with added TV at the end!) and the views...stunning! we were looking out over the extensive grounds and the chapel form two huge windows. I could not fault anything at all with either room and the hotel and staff either. We were made to feel so welcome and the whole place had a very down to earth feel.

Unfortunately we did not have dinner at the hotel as I was meeting friends for a birthday meal in Stratford, but when we came down for our taxi the staff who had checked us in were so lovely saying how lovely we looked and wishing me a happy birthday. Breakfast the next morning was perfect and sort of made me wish we had booked dinner the night before. We were able to help ourseleves to any of the continental offerings and were able to select froma wide range of cooked to order cooked breakfasts. From a full english (which both my dad and partner selected) to gorgeous omelettes, porridge, scrambled eggs and kippers. There was something for everyone and again the staff could not help us enough.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and my only regret is that we couldn't stay longer! the staff were wlecoming, helpful and made us feel so welcome. I will definately be back to Ettington Park as soon as I can. Its a very beautiful classy hotel but it does not feel stuffy or unwelcoming in the slightest.

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the main house have more original features than the newer rooms in the garden w...
4 Thank MandiMoo H
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your birthday celebrations. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed for one night at this charming hotel. Lovely grounds, lots of character and friendly but not over the top staff. I stayed in room 14. Excellent night's sleep - quiet with a very comfy bed. Large bathroom - slightly odd layout around sink as nowhere to put your things but this wasn't important. I'm not sure if the central heating system was working or not but the two stand alone radiators in the room were very efficient.

I'm not a breakfast eater but the coffee was good, my colleague ordered waffles and I've never seen anything like it. She hadn't either and polished it all off! For a relaxed break, I would definitely consider staying at Ettington again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AnnaRz123
Thank you for completing your review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel is stunning, both visually and in the levels of service and standards of accommodation and food which they offer. The hotel is set in extensive grounds which include a formal garden and a derelict chapel. Deer wander freely across the lawn as you are having breakfast and sheep graze in pastures beyond.
Our daughter's wedding took place here recently and we have visited several times over the last year to make arrangements. Each time we enjoyed excellent food served in matchless surroundings - dinner in the library or in the small indoor chapel is a feast both for the senses and the palate. The food is not cheap, but the quality is faultless and easily matches the standards of the top London restaurants. Service is always with a smile and nothing is too much trouble.
As we reserved many rooms for the wedding, we had a chance to view the full spectrum of accommodation on offer, from simple guest bedrooms to suites and all were spotlessly clean, with modern well-equipped bathrooms and supremely comfortable beds with light duvets and plenty of pillows.
The Victorian Garden Suite was ideal for the bride and her attendants to get dressed before the wedding, being huge with plenty of natural light from many large windows. It was also well-heated and had extra tables, chairs and sofas and a view of the chapel. The Shakespeare suite has an enormous window leading onto a 'Juliet balcony' which provided some fantastic photo opportunities.
The hotel has its own dedicated wedding team who made sure that the day ran like clockwork - unbelievable how efficiently we were moved from one room to another, which had been prepared whilst we were occupied elsewhere...
Breakfast was plentiful and hot, catering for vegetarians, those who like a 'full English', and both pastries and cheese and cold meats for the continental option. You were invited to take exactly what you liked, mixing and matching, adding yogurt, fruit, cereal etc., and a request from my husband even provided 'an excellent kipper'. They also managed to cater for a guest who we had warned was on a gluten-free diet.
We were too busy to use the swimming pool, which looks extemely inviting,however, in common with so manyother guests in our party, we really hope to return to Ettington Park again soon...

Room Tip: The Park Suite is extremely spacious and can take an extra bed for a child if required without feeli...
4 Thank noelrosie
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are so pleased to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay with us, your review has been shared with my team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us in the near future. Kind regards
Solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a Friday night for wife's birthday. Had stayed before a few years ago and remembered how lovely the hotel was and we were so pleased we chose this hotel.

Ettington Park is like staying at a wonderful National Trust property. It is a beautiful building that has been well maintained and it is a privilege to stay there.

However, what was exceptional was the service. The staff were so helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I would say it is the best overall service I have received at a hotel.

The food was great too. We started early midday with "elevenses" a savoury version of afternoon tea which was wonderful and made even better by being able to enjoy it in the wonderful lounge with a huge Xmas tree. The evening meal in the Oak Room was superb - starter Pigeon followed by Guinea Fowl (full of flavour) and finished with a delightful Fig tarte. Then coffee in the lounge again which really is a lovely room.

Breakfast is excellent too and so much choice.

In conclusion, if you want somewhere special to stay that won't cost a fortune then Ettington Park is the place to book!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AndyM12345
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are delighted to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay with us, your comments have been shared with my team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
The Stratford, A QHotel
The Stratford, A QHotel
#5 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,968 reviews

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!