“Lovely place...but could be even better”

Ettington Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
“Lovely place...but could be even better”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We were guests for a small family celebration which we all enjoyed very much. It is a beautiful place: the public areas, the bedrooms and the gardens are extremely well-kept. The hotel was busy with a large wedding and other parties, but once we were past reception we didn't feel sidelined: the staff were well-meaning and warm and there was room for everyone. I have two "could do better" points. First, the reception area felt a bit hit-and-miss: several people in uniform were standing around and happy enough to engage us in welcoming chat, but they had to be asked twice before helping anyone struggling with luggage. Perhaps who does what in this part of the hotel at busy times needs to be clarified? Second, we left a shirt behind in our room and have phoned several times to ask about it - we'd be happy to pay for the cost of returning it - but so far, after a week, no one has bothered to return our calls, despite promising to do so. I've rated the hotel as "average" for these reasons: some English country hotels get these simple, personal things right, and so distinguish themselves as very good or excellent. I don't think Ettington is in that category yet.

Room Tip: If noise is an issue with you, you may have to accept that you will get noise of some kind from wedd...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandra M
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made. I would like to apologise to you for no assistance being given to you for your luggage and the difficulties you have had locating your shirt. I have discussed this with my management team to ensure issues such as yours do not recur. I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with again in the future. Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My rating reflects the title of the report and NOT the service or its staff.

The hotel is indeed majestic; set in wonderful grounds and offering luxurious rooms; the beds and bedding are of exceptional quality. The dining experience is exceptionally good; interesting, tasty and well presented food - I have a food allergy and the chef was imaginative in the options offered.

The staff are outstandingly polite, helpful and nothing is too much for them and they often preempt requirements; an umbrella for the rain for example.
The ethos is to please and not to be pedantic; if you need more tea/water/toiletries - they are provided with speed and without 'additional cost'. They are very fair.

So why my rating - well, I am speech-deaf due to MS. I provided prior warning of this condition because I cannot hear alarms and wanted a special alarm (which the hotel provided) placed in the room (as it happens, there was a fire alarm alert and evacuation during our visit!). MS renders one tired at frequent and unexpected times in the day - and as this was a four day stay, I expected to spend some considerable time in my room. I had booked an executive room with a seating area and was actually looking forward to some viewing, on the large flat-screened TV that is 'boasted' as one of the room features. Sadly, the TV did not have a subtitle facility and that goes for all rooms - they do not have the technology apparently. As it happened, I became unwell on the first afternoon and was confined to the room.
Some may say - well, there is plenty of other things that one could do and I am not without imagination, but I expect that if all the TVs in the hotel did not have sound, every guest would have complained to reception!

This was a birthday trip and a thank you to my partner for all he does to support me. It was 'just' the TV - but it really took the edge off the stay, made it hard work for me to remain occupied whilst under the weather and isolated me from what is going on; news etc.
The hotel management were very sorry and very understanding; they offered to relocate us to a hotel where there were subtitles on the TV. However, the journey from Bournemouth and the unpacking etc had already taken its toll and I did not feel up to moving. The management have assured me that the subtitles facility will be installed asap and note will be sent to other Hand Picked hotels in the group.

I have placed this item in my report for the benefit of the deafened and their families. 1 in 6 people in Great Britain have hearing loss and increasingly this is in the 35-50 age group, in addition to the elderly (I am a lipreading teacher so am aware of this). When there is no other sound and noone with the patience to communicate with the deaf person, a TV with subtitles is a distraction. Public places tick the diversity box with facilities for the wheelchair bound, but disability comes in many forms; the most isolating being deafness.

Just while on the subject of 'access' - I was saddened to note that on day 4, the disabled parking spaces (indicated by a movable sign) disappeared and became reserved parking for conference attendees - their names were printed on the signs and they were the closest spaces to the main door.

Back to the positive - this is the friendliest and one of the most comfortable hotels in which I have stayed; a special mention to 'William' from the restaurant, who when transferring my food to my room due to me being unwell, asked my partner about my welfare and if there was anything that could be done to help. All staff were outstandingly kind.

I would like to return there at some point after the technology is sorted out.

Room Tip: We were in room 1 - this is below a conference/meeting suite access area and also guest toilets as w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We have taken your comments seriously and please be assured that action will be taken with regard to the sub titles on our televisions. We very much look forward to welcoming you back again. Should you wish to discuss this with me further please do feel free to contact me jbowler@handpicked.co.uk. Kind regards
Warwickshire
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Lovely place, attended for a wedding. Food was very nice, beautiful room for the wedding.
But the drinks were ridiculously expensive! One bottle of Peroni beer, and a 250ml glass of wine... £18! Ridiculous. We didnt stay the night as too expensive for us.

Room Tip: we didnt stay over
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wedding. With regard to the prices of our drinks we regularly review our pricing against the local market and apologise that you found these to be expensive. I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting the hotel again in the future. Kind regards
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The building and grounds are absolutely stunning. The staff, excellent - could not be more helpful and welcoming. Massive comfy bed with really soft sheets and fluffy pillows. Room opened onto the gorgeous garden with great views over the church and folly. Wellies in all sizes and bike available in the portico. Hats off to the management, concierge and waiting staff who made our overnight visit for a big birthday, really special.

My Buts.... let's go to Shakespeare....Lady Macbeth would have had a heyday with the carpet in the room, "out damned spot!" Both carpet and bed cover had big stains that really cannot be overlooked except by a very short sighted chambermaid (who probably left the deep dents and scratches on the TV cabinet and table because they could not see (see section about master switch). The 3 Witches had obviously dropped by and left a layer of dust on every surface in the room and hexed the bathroom grout. "Bottom" had stuffed a piece of torn off cardboard under the basin to stop the sink from wobbling and Henry IV's stomach could be heard rumbling and glugging from the sink when upstairs had a shower. "Comedy of Errors" to locate the instructions on page four of the penultimate section of the hotel information folder, to turn on the lights - for unsuspecting future guests - turn the master switch light off to turn on the room lights (?!). Puck must have hidden the TV remote and was obviously laughing in his tree watching us check every possible hiding place before finally giving up. Finally, because the garden suite is not connected to the main hotel, when "The Tempest" struck today, the blocked drain outside the chapel meant anyone trying to make it through the pouring rain for breakfast, had to wade through over an inch of water and arrive, absolutely soaking wet, after running around the back of the hotel to get into the main building.
For this price guys, you could ramp up the housekeeping and maintenance, clean or replace the tired carpets throughout, do a final room check to ensure everything is there, pop a little sign next to the master switch to make it easy, make sure the drains are clear and possibly invest in some nice logo'd brollies with umbrella stands at either end for those Garden Suite guests. To the breakfast maitre d' - smile!!! A little banter with your guests does not cause brain damage....

Room Tip: If the weather is bad and you are in the garden suite, carry a brolly to access the main building!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Apcc50
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have raised. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regard to the comments you have raised relating your room, we would have been more than happy to address these, should you have bought these to our attention during your stay with us. I have discussed them with my head housekeeper, who does take pride in ensuring the rooms meet a high standard and these will be fully investigated. You have also mentioned that you needed to walk outside in the rain to gain access to the hotel, please be assured that this is not the case, the main hotel can be accessed internally without having to go outside. The drain you have mentioned has been checked by my maintenance manager to ensure this is not blocked. We do offer logo'd brollies at our main reception entrance for guests to use. I would be more than happy to discuss this with further should you wish to contact me (jbowler@handpicked.co.uk). I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future. Kind regards
Somerset
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

An amazing building in beautiful surroundings. Our two day stay here was very enjoyable, and was made even more so by the excellent service given by a few members of staff. I must first of all thank the young concierge who, met us as we approached the hotel with the most professional and friendly welcome I have ever encountered. He is the true star of the Ettington Park hotel and I hope that Handpicked Hotels realise what a star they have in him. The room, although just a standard double truly met and exceeded the four star standard, the room was perfectly made up and replenished twice a day. The hotel pool was immaculately clean and we'll maintained. Our only slight criticisms would be that at reception there was some confusion over the room rate and I was asked to pay £50 per night deposit ! Something I have never been asked to do in any hotel either 3 or 5 star. We ate in the restaurant both evening as the quality of the food was very good, however this was let down by the knowledge of the waiting staff. On both evenings we asked for the "artisan cheese board", when it arrived we asked what the cheeses were. On the first evening the charming waitress explained that she didn't know but would find out, she returned immediately and gave a very clear and precise description of each cheese. On the second evening, as the cheeses had clearly changed, we asked the same question, the young waiter looked confused, then returned shortly and explained they were cheddar, Brie and goats cheese and couldn't remember what the forth one was. If your going to charge these prices and describe the menu as fine dining please ensure the waiting staff know what they are serving.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crossmans
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have raised. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. With regard to the £50, this is an authorisation that is taken on arrival, and not a charge, this is only taken should you wish to charge items to your room account and I apologise if this was not explained to you on arrival. I have also spoken to my restaurant manager with regard to your further comments and action has been taken to ensure this does not recur. Should you wish to discuss this with me further please do feel free to contact me (jbowler@handpicked.co.uk) and I will be more than happy to assist you. I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future. Kind regards
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful Hotel in magnificent grounds. Stayed in room 50- really spacious and comfortable overlooking ornimental box shrubbery and old church. Huge bed giving a great nights sleep. Staff uniformly pleasant and helpful.
Only downside is restaurant food which disappointing. Fixed 3 course evening menu at £39 lacks quality for the price. Wine also very expensive.
But great for a one night stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bob3747
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are pleased to hear that enjoyed your stay overall, however I am concerned to hear that you did not enjoy your food. Should you wish to discuss this with me further please do feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you. (jbowler@handpicked.co.uk). I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future. Kind regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The place is stunning. Just afternoon tea and a wonder around the grounds is a great time. Really looking forward to our wedding here. The rooms are stunning and the staff can't do enough for you. Will definately stay here again and would recommend to anybody

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back for your wedding, which will be a very memorable occasion for you both. Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#3 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!