Ettington Park Hotel
US$74
The New Inn(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$105
Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$200
US$107
US$105
US$89
  • Pool
Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$227
US$125
US$99
US$95
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Stratford Upon Avon Central Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)(Great Value!)
US$96
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Room Service
1,608 results
All reviewsdrawing roomshakespeare suitehaunted hotelafternoon teaold churchbeautiful hotelexecutive roomgrounds are stunningcountry housesteeped in historysconessteam room and saunawedding partycream teaevening mealwedding breakfastthe main house
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 December 2008

I organised a surprise 80th birthday party for my father. We arranged for 23 guests to stay in 12 rooms for two nights, eating in on both nights.
Arranging the event was painless with Katie taking time to show us the various room types and go through pricing and menus. We had a chance to look at quite a few rooms (then and during the event) and they are all very nice. The classic rooms are in the new wing (which unlike most hotels new wings, is very much in keeping with the hotel's beautiful old buildings). They are very comfortable and elegant, as you would expect to find in a new upmarket hotel. The executive rooms are all in the old building. Of the five or six we saw they were all superb and different, designed to fit in with and preserve the quirks of the old architecture. If you are going to stay I would really recommend one of these rooms. The two suites we had were another step up. Even larger rooms with four poster beds and huge bathrooms. The Stour Suite is fantastic, right on the front of the hotel with great views from huge full length windows.
The hotel has been remarkably sympathetically renovated (in May 2008) and the quality of the fittings and furniture was excellent, a mix of old and new beautifully blended. The whole place still seems authentic and they have managed to avoid the pitfalls seen in many modernised old buildings where the inside feels just like any other modern hotel. Here you are never in any doubt that you are staying in a old stately home (for all the good reasons!).
Food was very good and the wine list excellent. The prices for drinks was reasonable and certainly no more expensive than you would expect in any normal “standard” hotel.
All the staff I found were incredibly helpful, especially Emily on the front desk. Nothing was too much bother and the feeling of all our guests (who are a very discerning lot of ex colonials who are used to the good life!) was that the whole place was nothing short of superb. There was general agreement that the overall ambience was more like being a guest in a stately home than staying in a hotel. I could not have asked for a better weekend.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank hotel2zero
Reviewed 1 December 2008

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding blessing and it was a beautiful venue for such an event. The evening ceremony was held by candlelight in the chapel outside - guests walked across a red carpet to where chairs had been placed for the guests and although it was very cold (end November!), the whole thing was absolutely magical.
On arrival at the hotel, having driven through the lovely grounds, it would have been nice if there had been fires alight in the large old fireplaces rather than all the doors having been left wide open; the fire in the reception area was alight the following morning in time for all the guests leaving! However, minor detail as everything else was so lovely, the reception, the food, the entertainment (probably arranged by the bride and groom), staff were all helpful and very polite. Our very spacious room (no.1) was really lovely - large bedroom area with plenty of storage space, tea and coffee facilities, fridge, comfy beds, comfy armchairs, tables, desk and chair, etc, and also the biggest bathroom we have ever seen in a hotel with lovely roll-top bath, walk-in shower, vanity unit with superb mirror and lighting, fluffy towels, very well presented in every respect - the only downside was the awful smell coming from the bath drain which we reported the following morning. The breakfast was very nice, just about everything on offer that anyone could possibly wish for and the hot food was all just that, hot and delicious.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2008

Spent 3 nights at the Ettington Park hotel and I have to say that I was 100% satisfied. First finding the hotel was not easy (especially at night). Check in was quick and easy and my room was clean, large and with a mix of classic and modern furniture (tastefully done). I did have dinner one night at the restaurant and the food was excellent. Word of caution, this is not a cheap place. I paid GBP 130,00 a night but that was becuase we had a company discount. Usually, rooms at this hotel, are a lot more expensive. In all, I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Strattford Upon Avon.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Dansladen
Reviewed 16 November 2008

I stayed here the weekend after the previous reviewer so when I read it I could nod my head with some of his/her comments. There was so much to like about this place - and those features did not disappoint. Great building, superb grounds and above average leisure faciltiies (walking, cycles to hire, tennis court we used and the excellent modern pool/sauna/jacuzzi). However the staff and service were disappointing for a hotel of this calibre.

We had booked a 2 night package which included dinner on the first night. We turned up to be told 'have you reserved a table in the restaurant'. Well clearly, if we are on a first night dinner package, we would be dining there. The receptionist said he could 'squeeze us in' far later than we wanted to dine. it was not made clear on booking that we needed to make a reservation and this was a pretty basic error. The receptionist also did not know answers to several queries on account of having 'only arrived this morning'. Why put someone like that in a customer-focused/information role without time to acquire the necessary knowledge? Many of the staff were from overseas - something with which i haven't got an issue - but when seeking local knowledge or recommendations they were stumped.

That said, once we did dine, my partner and I were not disappointed with the food. It was excellent throughout - both breakfast and dinner - and on the second night we went for the gourmet menu being pretty adventurous foodie types. We were not disappointed and the 7 courses with a different wine with each was good value at the price charged. Having been to some equivalent hotels and been sorely disappointed with the food, this place excelled.

However, back to the service - like the other reviewers, on the Sat afternoon when we came back from a walk off site (3pm-ish) we found the room hadn't been made up. We were looking forward to relaxing for an hour or so but instead had to make the bed up ourselves. Only at 3.30 did someone come to do the room but it wasn't convenient and we went for a swim to get out of the way - earlier than I wanted. There wasn't a slip to hang on the door to say 'please make up my room' as we could have done this and got the room sorted. Guests should not have to expect to find rooms unmade by 3pm.

The rooms were comfortable, well stocked, with a good TV/DVD player which meant watching a late-night film was a pleasure. A plus point there.

I could go on, but for me this hotel has so much potential and with the quality rooms, swimming pool complex, the grounds and the food it is pretty much there. Just improve the service to what should be expected at a 5* level.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2008

My partner and I stayed three nights in this hotel on the first weekend in November, from Saturday night until Tuesday.

It was not possible to check in before 3pm, so we arrived around 3.45pm and were advised that our rooms were not ready. We were taken to the lounge and told someone would come and take our order for a complimentary drink whilst we waited. The room had around 5 other couples inside, presumably waiting for rooms too. After about ten minutes waiting for someone to take our order, we went to the bar and placed our own drinks order. Our room was ready before our drinks arrived, approximately 20 minutes after we first sat down.

The bedroom was lovely, (room 4, I think), well furnished, spacious and with a nice bathroom.It had a lovely big flatscreen TV and a DVD player, tea and coffee making facilities and a small fridge with fresh milk and water.

We had made a dinner reservation Saturday night for 8.30pm. When we went downstairs to eat (at 8.30),we were once again taken through to the lounge instead of being seated in the dining room. After about 5 minutes someone came and gave us a menu and we were asked if we wanted a drink. Not really knowing what was going on we ordered 2 G&Ts which arrived in no hurry. We asked if the restaurant was busy or something as we were not being seated at our table and they said that it wasn't. It was all rather odd and somewhere before just 9pm we were taken to our table.

I thought the food was pretty good, except for the fact that none of the desserts on the menu are suitable for my nut allergic boyfriend.The menu was a bit overpriced and watch out for the alcohol, which was pretty steep. The wine was around £8 per 250ml glass, and the G&Ts were also £8 each, so by sitting us in the lounge before dinner they got a bit of extra cash from us.

The service in the dining room was really poor. Despite being sat in a prime location my partner counted the waiting staff walk past our empty main course plates about 10 times before we finally piled our dishes at the end of the table until they were taken away. At the end of the meal they couldn't even remember to bring the bill and we gave up waiting.It was like they just couldn't be bothered to do anything, the most lethargic waiting staff you could find.

We complained about the service and the next evening were offered more complimentary drinks. If you sit in the public areas quite a few people are being offered free drinks, presumably because they have complained about something. This hotel really needs to sort out its service, we found that we had to keep asking for everything, for example if you sit in the bar, you are not asked if you would like a drink. We were often wondering around the place looking for staff.The waiting and bar staff all seem clueless as to what good service really is. No pleasantries are exchanged with the guests, they seem too busy being pompous and aloof. As long as they remember your name they think that is enough.I must say the reception staff were all pleasant and friendly.

On the plus side, if you turn right at the end of the drive and go into the nearest village, Alderminster, The Bell pub serves really fantastic food in a warm and friendly environment.We ate there for the next two days.

It is a real shame about the service in this hotel as the building and rooms are really lovely. I liked the little touches like board games and DVDs for guests, and the bikes and wellies for guests to use.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple