We stayed for a weekend to celebrate both our birthdays. Booked direct via the hotel website -they had a winter special for £139pn for DB&B. Having read reviews I called twice to confirm our dining times and specifically mentioned the birthdays. On arrival we were asked if we had booked for dinner - as they were full - so they obviously still have not managed to work out that if you book a DB&B package you obviously want a table in the dining room! The hotel was booked solid all weekend - what recession eh!
Our room did not look like those on the website -it was #6 and was an accessible room but I don't think it had been renovated. #5 opposite looked fantastic when I peeked through the door! I don't think we got the upgrade that is meant to go with the Winter package. With the package you also got two glasses of fizz and also some canapes on the first night. Despite us sitting and opening all the cards on the table with our drinks, no one wished us happy birthday and there wasn't even so much as a candle stuck in our puddings!
The set dinner was very good - a simple menu. We had paid the £15pp supplement to upgrade to a la carte for the 2nd night - not sure if this is worth doing as if you chose carefully your supplement would actually work out to be lower than £15. That said, the cheese souffle was divine and the steak was the best I have ever eaten in England! DH had the lamb and said it was fantastic.
Service was a bit chaotic which is why I think it is 4* and not 5*. Our wine glasses were never refilled, the waiter served my bread rolls from my right side reaching across my plate, I never got the water I asked for 3 times...little things that need to be corrected.
The building is impressive, the ruined church quaint, and the surrounding towns were lovely. Our favourites were The Slaughters and Chipping Campden. Stratford itself was very disappointing. Julia was the best waitress by far! In summary a nice hotel, we would stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ettington Park Hotel, the only AA 4 Red Star hotel in Stratford-Upon-Avon, is set in 40 acres of parkland in a verdant valley with the River Stour meandering through it. Situated just six miles from the centre of the famed home of Shakespeare and just a few miles from the start of The Cotswold Way, this spectacular property is a world apart from the hustle and bustle of contemporary life. Built from six types of Cotswold stone, Ettington Park is furnished with fine paintings and decorated with friezes that trace its centuries of tradition and heritage. This is a country house where historic extravagance meets contemporary comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Lastminute, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ettington Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Ettington Park
- Ettington Park Stratford Upon Avon
- Ettington Hotel Park
- Ettington Park Hotel Alderminster, Warwickshire