“Great but didnt wow”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
London, England
“Great but didnt wow”
Reviewed 16 February 2009

We headed off to Ettington Park for our anniversary. We had gotten deal which meant we were upgraded to an Executive suite. It was large, but the bathroom was quite dated and I think the cleaner must have been having an off day! The headboard was very dusty and there were cobwebs hanging down in our room - number 9. Good job we werent disabled as there were steps down into our room!

We had dinner there (included in the room price) and I have to say it was lovely! Neither my boyfriend or I (vegetarian!) had any reason to complain and we had a great evening.

The bed however left a little to be desired! It felt a little unstable and in the morning in full daylight, it turned out that it only had 3 legs!!!! The furniture in the rest of the room was a little worn.

Breakfast was again entertaining. We had a good choice of buffet items - breads, pastries, fruit, cold meats and cheeses and also the full english breakfast included with a choice of eggs. I ordered the vegetarian breakfast with poached eggs and my boyfriend ordered the full english with fried eggs. I ended up with poached eggs, veggie sausages, mushrooms and BACON whilst by boyfriend ended up with a full english minus the BACON...

The location of the hotel is fantastic and it looks wonderful from outside. You cant help feeling it is looking a little tired on the inside and would benefit from a few internal changes such as a designated reception desk - the current set up is a little chaotic. The staff are also eclectic! We had forgotten the toothpaste and toothbrushes and asked for a replacement along with an extra bathrobe as we had only been given one. We got the bathrobe, but no toothbrushes appeared. We had to go down to reception to enquire about them to be told, they didnt have any!!

We paid £135 for dinner bed and breakfast and on the whole it was good value. If we had paid the full price, we'd probably have made more of the issues we had experience. The other Handpicked Hotels such as Wood Hall are better quality and vfm.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — The room furniture
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
northamptonshire, england
Reviewed 3 February 2009

The moment you roll down the drive your jaw hits the steering wheel. It's an absolutely beautiful building, with raising turrets. Inside the decor isn't as grand, but then I guess modern hotels can't have icy winds blowing in from cracks in the masonry.
Our room was very nice, big bed, modern bathroom, tea and coffe (isn't that a kettle with sachets!?). Staff were super, very professional.
But the food...well....
We booked a Sunday night special dinner, bed and breakfast rate/ But you can tell they skimped on the dinner menu. It was probably on par with a beef eater, choice of chicken, beef (sunday roast), salmon... You get the picture! Certainly nothing to write home about! And was a shame as if I was the hotel's chef I would ensure that all guests could example my 'talents'.
So apart from the food the hotel was great, no complaints.

• Liked — the exterior of the hotel
  • Disliked — food...........
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lulujack
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2009

My fiance and I stayed here in Jan. 09. We stayed in an executive room, which was adequate, but not as I thought it would be. I'd stayed in the classic rooms previously and was quite happy with them - so if planning a stay, go with that option.

Upon entry there was a lounge area - very comfortable and furniture in keeping with the house (as was the case throughout). Upstairs there was a bathroom to one side and a bedroom to the other. These were in a converted loft space and were not spacious. The bathroom, in particular, was a disapointment. When the shower was turned on it resulted in flooding the floor as it was part of the bath (not a seperate shower!). The shower head would not stay in place when in use. Also, we had forgotten to bring toothpaste so my fiance called reception to request some. She was abruptly told that 'not all rooms had toothpaste as standard' but was told some would be brought to us. I would expect all toiletries to be supplied in a hotel of this standard and certainly in the exec. suites.

The bedroom was perfectly comfortable, but there was a double bed in an exec. room where I've slept in super-kings in the classic rooms.

The swimming pool/sauna/seam area closes at 8pm. To early. 10pm would allow for greater flexibility for guests wishing to use the facility in the evening to relax. Also, there are monitors of the bathing areas at the front desk facing outwards that other guests can see.

All-in-all, we had a pleasant stay but the general standard was not as it's been previously nor as one would expect from a Handpicked hotel. Unfortunately, as much as the location and building is beautiful, I'll not be staying at Ettington Park again.

• Liked — The lounge area was comfortable.
  • Disliked — The bathroom was very poor.
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2009

We stayed for a weekend to celebrate both our birthdays. Booked direct via the hotel website -they had a winter special for £139pn for DB&B. Having read reviews I called twice to confirm our dining times and specifically mentioned the birthdays. On arrival we were asked if we had booked for dinner - as they were full - so they obviously still have not managed to work out that if you book a DB&B package you obviously want a table in the dining room! The hotel was booked solid all weekend - what recession eh!
Our room did not look like those on the website -it was #6 and was an accessible room but I don't think it had been renovated. #5 opposite looked fantastic when I peeked through the door! I don't think we got the upgrade that is meant to go with the Winter package. With the package you also got two glasses of fizz and also some canapes on the first night. Despite us sitting and opening all the cards on the table with our drinks, no one wished us happy birthday and there wasn't even so much as a candle stuck in our puddings!
The set dinner was very good - a simple menu. We had paid the £15pp supplement to upgrade to a la carte for the 2nd night - not sure if this is worth doing as if you chose carefully your supplement would actually work out to be lower than £15. That said, the cheese souffle was divine and the steak was the best I have ever eaten in England! DH had the lamb and said it was fantastic.
Service was a bit chaotic which is why I think it is 4* and not 5*. Our wine glasses were never refilled, the waiter served my bread rolls from my right side reaching across my plate, I never got the water I asked for 3 times...little things that need to be corrected.
The building is impressive, the ruined church quaint, and the surrounding towns were lovely. Our favourites were The Slaughters and Chipping Campden. Stratford itself was very disappointing. Julia was the best waitress by far! In summary a nice hotel, we would stay again.

2 Thank LittleBritain
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2009

We stayed at Ettington Park Hotel last summer to attend Hamlet @ the RSC. If the hotel was to be summed up best in one word, its got to be: Stunning.

The surroundings are beautiful and the building itself is a very grand and ornate. We found the staff there to be efficient and friendly without being OTT. Everything we asked for was delivered promptly. Dresscode around the place was relaxed and for such a nice hotel you never felt the need to be on best behaviour, you could just relax.

Afternoon tea was very nice. Sat in the Drawing room watching the wedding party enjoy cocktails on the grass outside.

Our room was beautifully appointed. Large flat screen TV. Nice sofa sitting area. Plenty of storage and a very nice wetroom style bathroom.

For a romantic weekend away I cannot fault Ettington Park Hotel. It has plenty of nearby attractions to visit and is a wonderful oasis to retreat to when you want to relax.

• Liked — The hotel itself
  • Disliked — the swimming pool was undergoing restoration work whilst we were there and couldn't be used.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Radlett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2009

I stayed here with my folks when I was visiting from the Philippines and I really wanted something special for my visit. This place delivers!

Sure its a short drive into Stratford town centre but that's kind of the whole point.....beautiful grounds and Stratford on your veritable doorstep!

Breakfasts are really nice and I suggest you avail of the package for dinner also. The food was great for us and unless they have changed the chef in the meantime I would really recommend it.

If you are an early riser go out and walk the grounds before everyone gets up. We saw tonnes of rabbits, 2 foxes and a mink!

We also took a torch (flashlight) and walked around the only ruins in the grounds at night. Very spooky and fun.....the ruins encompass an old monastery and church.

I have lived all over the world and been to a zillion boutique/countryhouse hotels. This one is up with the best!

• Liked — The building is fascinating
  • Disliked — There wasn't anything that really let me down so "no comment"
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
birmingham
Reviewed 1 January 2009

Went to have lunch their, the food was for a 4 star hotel unbelievably bad, e.g. the starter of parma ham consisted of a piece of very old and tough ham surrounded by some form of foliage with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
The main course of beef with 1 small piece of cauliflour (frozen) one small piece of broccoli, 3 pieces of roast potato which had been cooked in god knows what and tasted awful, followed by a selection of cheeses which were tolerable.
The best part of the meal was the coffee.

the overall standard of the quality of the food out of 10 would be around 3, this is not the standard i would expect from this hotel which i would imagine advertises for foreign visitors.

Stayed December 2008
3 Thank kelvinBirmingham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#3 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!