“Disappointing”

Ettington Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We stayed here many years ago and thought it would be nice to return as we were in the area for a family gathering. There was no comparison to our previous visit. The person on reception found it difficult to look up from the computer to check us in and out in the morning. The room was small and dark. Despite an elaborate lighting system on the night tables it was quite impossible to see to read. The chair was so near the bed it was difficult to pass without tripping over.

The bathroom seemed to be designed for a disabled guest. The toilet seat was loose and the plug in the basin required you to plunge your hand into the dirty water to release it.

The breakfast service was haphazard. Unfortunately our arrival coincided with the fruit selection unreplenished - three requests for toast - a teapot for my husband which held 1 and a half cups of tea and a cafetierre for 8 for me! The 'full' English breakfast which we enjoyed immensely recently on a visit to Buxted Park Hotel,Sussex (part of the same Group) - here required 'side orders' of black pudding etc.

The only thing we enjoyed on the trip was the beautiful sight of two antlered deer crossing the path as we drove in full of expectations of a repeat of our previous visit.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 July 2010

We choose Handpicked Hotel as this was our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We had previously stayed at the Rookery Park Hotel and thought it was fantastic. This was a bad decission to think Ettington Park would be the same. The grounds and achitectur are stunning without question. However, we felt this hotel was poor value for money. Our stay for 2 nights 2 breakfasts 1 evening meal and a few drinks was £300.

The entrance which is initally a conservatory type room is like a bike shed with gas bottles and buckets and mops hanging about. We booked the executive room which was described as spacious, to be frank you couldnt swing a cat. This room was very dark and the lamps (with broken shades) had broken lightbulbs in. The furniture is damaged and the bed very hard. The bathroom was quite new and very clean. We asked to be moved and in fairness we were moved to a suite in the main house which was lovley, and what we expected. Although very dusty and only 1 coffee each on the beverage tray and no milk on day 2.

The main lounge is a bit shabby and needs a bit of TLC and the tables were filthy most of the time.

The breakfast was excellent, however, we were disappointed in the main meal. My husbands meat was tough as old boots. My starters and desert were bland.

The pool area was very nice and clean.

This is a nice hotel but could be so much better and far to expensive.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kate548
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel when I was pretty much a toddler, (sadly) many many years ago. Ever since then I had always craved a re-visit. So, when feeling a bit well-off, myself and my partner booked a stay as part of Handpicked's excellent deal, which at the time was £129 for DBB with Champagne and Canapés.

As I was unable to drive at the time, I was pleased to find that the hotel IS accessible via bus from Stratford-upon-Avon. Upon entering the hotel I realised I had stupidly left my wallet on the bus, and was thus in serious bother. When we got to the check-in desk we explained our predicament, which was overheard by the Deputy General Manager (Simon). Instead of merely offering to call the bus company, Simon got his car and we actually went in persuit of the bus! After a lengthy (I later calculated it to be a 30 mile round trip) chase, we got hold of the bus and the wallet had thankfully been handed in. I offered Simon a financial reward, which he strongly refused. He gave the impression that it was all 'part of the service'. Amazing stuff. When we got back to the hotel we were greeted warmly by all of the staff. It was a trully bizarre yet wonderful moment.

So after our adventures(!) we finally got to our room and were amazed by its spaciousness and luxury. It was an executive room in the main 'old' building, next to the 'Long Gallery' function room.

Ettington is in a remote part of Warwickshire, but that definitely doesn't mean there's nothing to do. The hotel offer bikes for hire, tennis balls and raquets, a croquet set and wellingtons for some muddy walking. There is also a relatively small swimming pool with jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Located on the grounds is a very old chapel, which you can take a look inside by asking reception for a key.

The food is quite simply the best I've ever had. I had the fillet of beef on a potato rosti (and many other things) with red wine jus. My partner is a vegetarian, who was also well catered for. Ettington Park has its own vegetarian menu, which took us by surprise!

Breakfast was also excellent, which a massive range of breads, yoghurts, cereals etc. And a great Full English.

So in summary; great rooms, activities, tremendous food and simply the best staff I've ever encountered in any hotel. I would recommend this hotel to absolutely everyone. It really is worth splashing out for.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twb155
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I recently stayed at Ettingham Hall with my aged Mother. Our room overlooked the beautiful grounds. The service was delightful from Pete the bellboy -a font of knowledge on up, ALL the staff were extremly warm and friendly. The provenance of the food was excellent-hats off to the chef. My Mother has mobility problems however the staff treated her with courtesy and dignity. I've stayed at 5* hotels worldwide-the Managment here showed how it should be done!! Without doubt we will be making a return trip ASAP.
T Dean.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 15 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a two night break. When we arrived on the Friday afternoon we took a lovely afternoon tea out on the terrace overlooking the grounds of the hotel. We had a 'Classic' room which was a nice size for the two of us. The bathroom and shower was really quite large. Our room was situated in the new extended part of the hotel but we didn't notice the difference at all. They had done a really good job extending the building without compromising the original look and feel of the building. My only slight complaint was in the middle of the night we were woken by the people in the room above us, it sounded like they had a child running about but this was no fault of the hotels.
The staff at the hotel are lovely, everywhere you go they say hello tell you to have a nice afternoon/evening. We had dinner on the Friday evening at the hotel, again, the staff were very attentive and the food was wonderful. Breakfast is also a feast, with the option of a continental breakfast or a good old english fry up. Overall we had a lovely weekend and there was lots to do in the surrounding area I just wish we'd stayed a few extra nights.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LondonSarah_S
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We stayed here for one night midweek. Arriving at 4pm we had a lovely walk in the grounds and drink. We stayed in one of the front facing larger rooms and it was lovely, super bed, spacious and huge windows looking onto the grounds.

In the end we ended up missing dinner as we were not that hungry, but overall had a great night. Following day we checked out at 1pm, prior to that spent an hour in the pool by ourselves.

This is a very relaxing hotel, with great grounds and friendly staff. It does seem to take a lot of off site business meetings, which does make it a little less of a couples haunt, but that would only be during the week ofcourse.

Overall really pleased with the stay

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2010

stayed here for a birthday, and was very impressed.
Arrived slightly early, staff were very welcoming.
room was very impressive, fantastic size, and well appointed.
Had the afternoon tea in the lounge, which was v elegant.

the hotel is very impressive and the food is fantastic.

its a very romantic setting and is well situate for Stratford and Warwick.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#2 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#3 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!