“Exceeded expectations”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
London
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Have just returned from an overnight stay at Ettington Park and could not speak highly enough of it. The setting is magnificent, stunning grounds and interior, superb friendly and efficient staff and luxurious rooms. We had the DBB deal, which was very flexible so that you could add extras for a small supplement. I would recommend this to anyone wanting a relaxing and peaceful getaway with a touch of luxury.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Warrington, England
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Had a smiliar experience to a number of recent guests on here.

Lovely setting and friendly welcome. We had booked a Sunday night stay on DBB basis.

We stayed in room 10 which, on first impressions, was lovely. Having stayed in many judge the great from the good. Sadly, this hotel has the potential to be great but is only good. Issues we faced were seemingly inconsequential on their own but do add up:

Toilet seat hadnt been fitted properly and the heated towell rail didn't heat. Nightly turn down service didn't materialse, the remote didnt work properly and the back was missing from it. Penny pinching amount of cream with the cream tea. Nice if small pool area yet no fitness centre that we could see. Upgrade to a'la Carte hadn't been passed on to the waiters. Had to ask for toast at breakfast and tea didn't arrive until I prompted a waiter some 15mins after we had ordered - slightly chaotic rather than slick service!

On the plus side, the food we had was excellent, well worth paying for a'la carte which is better value than the table d'hote. Great canapes and free glass of champagne was a great start and the 3 courses that followed cooked to perfection. Coffee and petit fours afterwards rounded off a superb meal with excellent and very 'unstuffy' service. The hotel itself is beautiful and the grounds immaculate, its easy to see why its such a popular wedding venue. The room we had was a really good size too even if the view wasn't picture postcard perfect.

In summary, this is a nice hotel and worth a stay if you get a good deal. Not sure I would go back as competition in the Cotswolds is fierce and there are many other better hotels than this one if you know the region. It has a slightly disorganised feel to it unfortunately and this, along with the cumulative niggles, makes for a less relaxing stay than should be the case. Some might ask why we didn't report the issues we had while we were there but it is the managers job to ensure that the hotel meets the required standards, not the guests...

1 Thank MPTW
SOLIHULL
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We had a nice over night stay at this hotel and found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the room modern, clean and comfortable. The only issue was the evening meal.

To begin with, the table that was booked for 8.30 was not made available until 9.00. Not the hotel’s fault I’m sure but a bit annoying when you are hungry. And although the service from the waiter, as we sat comfortably in the lounge, started off in a good attentive spirit, soon dwindled, leaving us waiting for our table for what seemed an eternity without drinks or nibbles.

The choice on the fixed price menu was a bit limited, leaving two items that we liked - the beef steak (described very honestly by the waiter as "likely to be tough if at all over cooked" and the sea bass. I’m not keen on steak that takes your teeth out so we both opted for the fish.

I wouldn't describe myself as large - a modest 95KG (15.5 stone or thereabouts) but I do have a healthy appetite and hadn't eaten since midday. So when presented with what can only be described as a child-size portion of sea bass fillet (more like a fish finger than a meal) I was disappointed and so, by association, was my lovely wife to be. I pointed the deficiency out to the very polite waitress and she offered to take it up with the kitchen. By that time unfortunately the moment was gone as was the fish - in a one, or at most two, mouthfuls!

To be fair the breakfast was very good and so was the general level of service. They also knocked the cost of one main course off the bill. But I can't help feel however that someone somewhere has got it slightly wrong. We were only there for one night but made a special point of using the restaurant and in spite of its obvious charm it simply wasn’t that great.

Would I go back? Yes, in many respects it was lovely. But come on Mr Cook (or hotel manager that sets the budget) don't be so penny-pinching, not when your glasses of wine are £12 each. A small detail that the hotel wasn’t privy to is that we were looking at the venue for our forthcoming wedding. In conclusion, we did like it but the food needs sorting to make it worth another visit.

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We stayed here many years ago and thought it would be nice to return as we were in the area for a family gathering. There was no comparison to our previous visit. The person on reception found it difficult to look up from the computer to check us in and out in the morning. The room was small and dark. Despite an elaborate lighting system on the night tables it was quite impossible to see to read. The chair was so near the bed it was difficult to pass without tripping over.

The bathroom seemed to be designed for a disabled guest. The toilet seat was loose and the plug in the basin required you to plunge your hand into the dirty water to release it.

The breakfast service was haphazard. Unfortunately our arrival coincided with the fruit selection unreplenished - three requests for toast - a teapot for my husband which held 1 and a half cups of tea and a cafetierre for 8 for me! The 'full' English breakfast which we enjoyed immensely recently on a visit to Buxted Park Hotel,Sussex (part of the same Group) - here required 'side orders' of black pudding etc.

The only thing we enjoyed on the trip was the beautiful sight of two antlered deer crossing the path as we drove in full of expectations of a repeat of our previous visit.

Norfolk
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We choose Handpicked Hotel as this was our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We had previously stayed at the Rookery Park Hotel and thought it was fantastic. This was a bad decission to think Ettington Park would be the same. The grounds and achitectur are stunning without question. However, we felt this hotel was poor value for money. Our stay for 2 nights 2 breakfasts 1 evening meal and a few drinks was £300.

The entrance which is initally a conservatory type room is like a bike shed with gas bottles and buckets and mops hanging about. We booked the executive room which was described as spacious, to be frank you couldnt swing a cat. This room was very dark and the lamps (with broken shades) had broken lightbulbs in. The furniture is damaged and the bed very hard. The bathroom was quite new and very clean. We asked to be moved and in fairness we were moved to a suite in the main house which was lovley, and what we expected. Although very dusty and only 1 coffee each on the beverage tray and no milk on day 2.

The main lounge is a bit shabby and needs a bit of TLC and the tables were filthy most of the time.

The breakfast was excellent, however, we were disappointed in the main meal. My husbands meat was tough as old boots. My starters and desert were bland.

The pool area was very nice and clean.

This is a nice hotel but could be so much better and far to expensive.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kate548
Manchester
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel when I was pretty much a toddler, (sadly) many many years ago. Ever since then I had always craved a re-visit. So, when feeling a bit well-off, myself and my partner booked a stay as part of Handpicked's excellent deal, which at the time was £129 for DBB with Champagne and Canapés.

As I was unable to drive at the time, I was pleased to find that the hotel IS accessible via bus from Stratford-upon-Avon. Upon entering the hotel I realised I had stupidly left my wallet on the bus, and was thus in serious bother. When we got to the check-in desk we explained our predicament, which was overheard by the Deputy General Manager (Simon). Instead of merely offering to call the bus company, Simon got his car and we actually went in persuit of the bus! After a lengthy (I later calculated it to be a 30 mile round trip) chase, we got hold of the bus and the wallet had thankfully been handed in. I offered Simon a financial reward, which he strongly refused. He gave the impression that it was all 'part of the service'. Amazing stuff. When we got back to the hotel we were greeted warmly by all of the staff. It was a trully bizarre yet wonderful moment.

So after our adventures(!) we finally got to our room and were amazed by its spaciousness and luxury. It was an executive room in the main 'old' building, next to the 'Long Gallery' function room.

Ettington is in a remote part of Warwickshire, but that definitely doesn't mean there's nothing to do. The hotel offer bikes for hire, tennis balls and raquets, a croquet set and wellingtons for some muddy walking. There is also a relatively small swimming pool with jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Located on the grounds is a very old chapel, which you can take a look inside by asking reception for a key.

The food is quite simply the best I've ever had. I had the fillet of beef on a potato rosti (and many other things) with red wine jus. My partner is a vegetarian, who was also well catered for. Ettington Park has its own vegetarian menu, which took us by surprise!

Breakfast was also excellent, which a massive range of breads, yoghurts, cereals etc. And a great Full English.

So in summary; great rooms, activities, tremendous food and simply the best staff I've ever encountered in any hotel. I would recommend this hotel to absolutely everyone. It really is worth splashing out for.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank twb155
uk
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I recently stayed at Ettingham Hall with my aged Mother. Our room overlooked the beautiful grounds. The service was delightful from Pete the bellboy -a font of knowledge on up, ALL the staff were extremly warm and friendly. The provenance of the food was excellent-hats off to the chef. My Mother has mobility problems however the staff treated her with courtesy and dignity. I've stayed at 5* hotels worldwide-the Managment here showed how it should be done!! Without doubt we will be making a return trip ASAP.
T Dean.

• Stayed June 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#1 of 1 in Ettington
The Stratford, A QHotel
The Stratford, A QHotel
#5 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!