We booked a 2 night stay during the week based upon the TA reviews and the fact the hotel has a pool/steam & suana. On arrival the reception staff seemed more than happy to watch us struggling up the steps with our bags (not a great start).
The executive room itself was nice but definitely not luxury. This kind of sums up the whole hotel, nice but in need of some TLC (there is that faint musty smell of old carpets everywhere).
The staff were varied to say the least, some pleasant, one helpful, several uninterested and one cigarette and booze soaked. It seemed as though the whole team was missing a guiding influence. Even at check out the receptionist couldn't muster the energy to enquire about how our stay had been (almost as if they knew what the answer would be).
The restaurant was equally erratic. There was a large party in a separate dining area, so this may explain some of the issues, but it certainly shouldn't be an excuse for poor service and food quality. One starter was excellent one went back. Both mains were OK but way over priced. The mouse was excellent. The wine was over priced (£35 for a bottle of Bouchard Pinot Noir!).
We had dined at the Lamb in Stratford the night before (absolutely superb service, food and atmosphere) and even with the £15 taxi (each way) it cost less than the meal in the hotel. We don't mind spending out on an expensive meal - as long as you get what you pay for.
We ordered breakfast in the room (left the card on the door the night before) and although the menu card had been taken no breakfast arrived. We called reception to chase it up (30 mins after it was due) and they said it was on its way. We waited another 10-15 mins and chased again. Eventually it arrived but we were due to check out and so didn't have the time to relax and enjoy. The breakfast itself was actually very nice. There was plenty of choice in the buffet and the cooked option was of a high standard.
Overall this could be an excellent hotel. The pool area is lovely, the grounds are nice and the building is beautiful. At the moment the service and the cost let it down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ettington Park Hotel, the only AA 4 Red Star hotel in Stratford-Upon-Avon, is set in 40 acres of parkland in a verdant valley with the River Stour meandering through it. Situated just six miles from the centre of the famed home of Shakespeare and just a few miles from the start of The Cotswold Way, this spectacular property is a world apart from the hustle and bustle of contemporary life. Built from six types of Cotswold stone, Ettington Park is furnished with fine paintings and decorated with friezes that trace its centuries of tradition and heritage. This is a country house where historic extravagance meets contemporary comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms, Odigeo, Lastminute, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Ettington Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Ettington Park
- Ettington Park Stratford Upon Avon
- Ettington Hotel Park
- Ettington Park Hotel Alderminster, Warwickshire