“Fantastic building, lovely scener, friendly staff and a great New Year's Party.”

Ettington Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We booked in for a quiet romantic New Year's Eve party and that's what we got. Arrival and check-in were friendly and informal and we were efficiently escorted to our room.

We were a little later than we had planned to arrive and the shower in the room was broken, it took the hotel a little while to offer us another room, by which time we had run a bath but they did arrange an efficient move once we were ready. The only unfortunate problem was the young lad sent to look at the shower and eventually move us had a BO issue that lingered for some time.

The rooms were very comfortable and well appointed. The bed was very comfortable indeed. Everything in the room was modern and high quality which made a lovely contrast with the very old building in which it was situated.

The hotel organised a very slick meal and party and the service was excellent. The food was delicious and they accommodated our dietary needs with an expert touch and flair with no less attention to detail than our meat eating counter parts received.

Overall a great experience which I would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2010
There are newer reviews for Ettington Park Hotel

Reviewed 29 December 2010

Had a fantastic two night break between Christmas and New Year. Booked because we love the 1963 film “The Haunting” which was filmed here, it also featured in several episodes of the 1960’s programme “Danger Man”. Also just a short drive away from Stratford-upon-Avon or Warwick.

Amazing building in lovely grounds. When arriving we had to stop the car because a deer was in the middle of the road, a lovely start to our holiday. Checking in was friendly and efficient. Damien showed us to our room, very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the history of the hotel. Booked a Classic room (Room 20) which was spacious (as was the bathroom) and spotlessly clean. Bed was very comfy, best nights sleep we've had in a hotel for ages. Had a lovely walk in the grounds (they even supply wellington boots in the snow if you need them). All members of staff were pleasant and made the effort to talk to us and ask us about our stay and also on several occasions went out of their way to give us a guided tour of parts of the hotel we would otherwise not have seen. Talking to one of the waiters at dinner, when he realised we were interested in the history he immediately disappeared and re-appeared shortly with a guide for us to read and take home with us. One waiter asked if we had seen The Long Gallery and when we said no he immediately went and found someone to open it up for us who also gave us a history of the hotel. Another waiter asked us if we would like to see the Chapel and again he was also able to tell us about its history. So nice to find that all staff seemed to work well as a team but also had a real interest in the hotel.

Dinner the first night did seem chaotic. We had booked a table for 7.00 but it was 8.00 before our starters arrived. Have a feeling we had been forgotten because suddenly two glasses of champagne arrived with the waiter apologising for the delay with our starters. Having said that the food was well worth waiting for and is of an exceptionally high standard and this was the only delay we experienced in two nights of dining. Breakfasts were excellent, fresh food, well cooked, efficient service. Taking afternoon tea in the Drawing Room on a cold winter’s afternoon was a real treat.

We will definitely be returning in the future and it’s a pity more hotels do not have staff like the ones at Ettington Park. They really did make the holiday special. Only disappointment was we did not see any ghosts!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cakesy
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Took my wife here for her birthday, staff couldn't do enough, rooms luxurious, food fantastic, leisure facility superb.

Great location, astounding history, claims that it is most haunted hotel in Britain?

Loads of places to eat in Stratofrd as well.

We got a letter from the manager each day with a snippet and weather forecast for tomorrow!

For Ornithologists the grounds are full of life. River Stour runs through the grounds.

There was a wedding Friday, Saturday and Sunday when we were there...

Canapes in the drawing room are to die for :-)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ozweb
Reviewed 17 November 2010

My wife and I stayed in The Ettington Park Hotel on a previous leisure break. This time we were in an Executive Room on a package that included dinner on the first night. As before we were impressed by the building and its history, and some members of staff were thoughtful, pleasant, and added to the pleasure of our stay at the hotel. In particular, Damon, Katie, and Millie. The others could learn from this trio!
Unlike our first experience in The Shakespeare Room, the Executive room (No 16) was adequate but the bed was hard and did not provide us with any comfort during two restless nights. All the usual facilities were satisfactory, but overall it was just adequate for an hotel in this price range. Quite a lot of noise in our wing because of late night revellers, and the banging of a bed head in an adjacent room!

Breakfasts were satisfactory. Dinner was preceded by canapes and champagne; a pleasant start to the dining experience. We had a three course meal. I choose to pay extra for the a La Carte starter of Crayfish Bisque that was O'k but not great. I also went for the a La Carte Trois Noisettes of Lamb that was an extra £6.95, but it was fantastic and well worth the extra cost. My wife stayed with The Table d' Hote menu that was satisfactory. I finished with The Bread and Butter Pudding and it WAS AWFUL. A disgrace for a restaurant claiming a high standard of cuisine. Today I had Bread and Butter Pudding at an Arboretum Restaurant near Kidderminster where the cook can teach the chef at Ettington Park a thing or two about Puddings!

Our room was located in a wing at the rear of the Hotel requiring a walk outside the Main Building to gain access. This walk was unpleasant in cold, wet, and windy weather. However, on our second night, while walking to our room in the annex, we encountered a Stag and Deer on the grass immediately outside the main building. The Stag was an impressive beast and the pleasure of this unexpected sight made up for previous discomfort.

Wer may return to Ettington Park but will be more selective about the room, and may well choose to eat out.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HRH84
Reviewed 9 November 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 day break at this stunning hotel. It is a really peaceful place where you can simply relax and recharge the batteries. We booked a half board deal at a decent price so expected a matchbox size room. We were VERY surprised......our room (room 34) was absolutely amazing - large, clean, lovely decoration etc. Food - again absolutely lovely, as was the service. Staff very friendly, keen to engage you in conversation, whether in the lounge having a drink or in the restaurant. Having stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels around the world, this will definitely go down as one of the top 5.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Let's begin with this is an above above-average hotel. The building and the grounds deserve a five star rating. The food & service were good, but, for the price, not good enough, in my opinion. And that will be my complaint, that "for the price" (US$800-plus for one night including all our extras) it should be much better. That said, I would defintiely go there again and would recommend it to my friends.

So much was perfect:
After a day walking around Stratford-Upon-Avon -- crowded with people in the Shakespeare "trail" part of the city but well worth the visit (the older parts are great and the history, of course, unmatched) -- we went to the Ettington Park. A fan of the movie "The Haunting" I couldn't wait to see the place and in all physical respects, the hotel exceeds, both inside and out. Our suite was spacious and beautifully decorated, with a wonderful view overlooking the front of the building and a bathroom big enough to park a car in. I think my wife took a dozen pictures of the room alone, it was so nice.

A walk around the grounds was equally rewarding. The exterior of the building is unique and, along with the ruins of the church on the grounds, a photographer's dream. The interior. as already mentioned, is also beautiful. We waited in a huge,sumptuous anteroom where we had a drink or two before dinner and where they took our dinner order in advance. This, I think, is a great touch as we could remain in that room and only enter the dining room when dinner was close to being served - so much nicer than sitting around the table waiting for food. Service here was mixed, with the maitre'd and food servers only OK while the fellow who served us drinks very good (we asked for a champagne cocktail and he said "the classic"? - now that is someone who knows their stuff).

For the imperfect:
When we showed up, there was no one to take our luggage. We carried it in ourselves and at no time while we were checking in did anyone show up to help us.

Dinner was quite good, but for the price (yes, this complaint again) of US$170, not including alcohol, not good enough, in my opinion. Also, our "special, inclusive of dinner" rate only included the menu of the day at the hotel. As that did not have the most exciting choices, we ended up ordering some other things, but these all cost additional money. The dining room is also quite beautiful, but is marred somewhat by less than elegant furnishings, as I remember.

Upon checkout, I discovered an error in our hotel bill, $100-plus of incorrect/extra charges. The details of those charges are unimportant, but it was especially annoying since we had alerted the maitre'd the night before of the problem and he said that he would take care of it. He obviously didn't and I spent almost an hour fixing this.

Perhaps most disconcerting was my contention that they had mistakenly charged us for 5 pre-dinner drinks when we only had 4. The woman at the desk asked me to wait while she checked with the maitre'd to verify. Check with the maitre'd to verify? I'm sorry, but after spending more than U$800 for the night (there I go again), questioning my veracity about a US$15 glass of champagne is insulting, especially given my honest face.

As I've said over (and over) in this review, I had more of a problem with these inconveniences, or these less-than-perfect moments because of their high price. Given the cost, the experience should be free of any inconveniences, in my opinion. However, I reiterate that I would come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Warwick Traveler
Reviewed 3 November 2010

We stayed at this wonderful hotel for pur honeymoon in October 2010. We had a beautiful suite overlooking the beautiful gardens. The room was very high standard, bathroom luxurious and all great.

The pool, sauna, and steam room were just perfect and the jacuzzi was great, a fabulous bubble bath.

We had room service for breakfast, which was superb, a wide choice of continental and traditional English cooked breakfasts.

Our overall stay was wonderful and we cannot wait to return...

• Stayed: October 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#2 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#3 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!