“All round satisfaction”

Jellyfish Cafe and Bar
Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Mapua
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe, Seafood, New Zealand, Contemporary
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic, View, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“All round satisfaction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

A long weekend in Nelson provided an opportunity to sample some local eateries. We had heard about Mapua wharf but were surprised by the number of food outlets and the great location

Service was friendly and efficient with a small but well put together menu. A tasting platter was a great shared entree with all the elements offering interest and variety. Mains portions were ample with delicious and well balanced flavours. Great wines at reasonable prices. We had no room for deserts but they looked divine.
Would thoroughly recommend a visit but book at weekends and in summer

new zealand
“Great Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a lovely meal and the restaurant was busy. Excellent friendly service - and food..........was lovely

• Visited August 2013
Nelson, New Zealand
“Another disappointing night at Jellyfish.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

We intended to go to another restaurant in Mapua, but it was closed so reluctantly went to Jellyfish. It is quite a pricey restaurant so one would expect the service to be of a high standard, but it is not. Yes it does have a great view, but that is only during daylight hours - we were there at night.

As a person with Coeliac disease, I am eternally frustrated with the lack of choice on restaurant menus and this place was no exception. While I was told that most things could be made gluten free, that did not turn out to be the case. I want to be able to order off a menu like anyone else - Coeliac disease is not a choice!

I ordered an expensive glass of wine, one that I have had many times before and when I told the young waiter that it didn't taste right, he said, that he just opened it that afternoon and the glass he had was fine. Excuse me, was he meant to be drinking before he went to work? Also, what an extremely unprofessional attitude. Restaurant staff in NZ have a lot to learn about good service.

I ended up having fries and they were good, well how wrong can you get fries? My husband's seafood soup was good, but the overall experience has left me not wanting to go back.

• Visited July 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

We visited on Queens Birthday Sunday, lovely atmosphere and super busy! The food was great - the Sicilian seafood soup, Argentine style beef, and olive pie with mash - very yummy! The kids meals (had burger and chips) were big and made the kids happy. The only let down was our surly male waiter who made a comment within earshot...'I hate serving kids'. Well, I hate to say I might not be back after that comment!!!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank babba_13
Nelson, New Zealand
“Nice, exceeded expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

Great location on the Mapua wharf with views out to the harbour. Hard to go wrong with the location. Outdoor seating is well done and the inside is set up pretty well with views to the outside no matter where you sit. Nice little fireplace going as well.

We went for brunch - food was good and menu fairly close to what is on their website. I had a pork thai salad and my wife had the Sicilian soup. Decent portions and well presented without being over the top. I think they know what kind of place they are (family focused, good meal at reasonable price) and don't try to be more than that (pretentious high end). Evidently the chef won a 'chef of the year' in 2012 although I didn't enquire if he was in the kitchen or who exactly did that rating.

Decent wine list and selection of beers. Loads of people and many seemed to be locals. When we left, people were waiting for tables. Sad to see just down the road at Swell there wasn't a person in the place (yikes for 12:30pm on Sunday). Several friends have also rated this place highly.

we definitely plan to go back for breakfast at some point. If on the Wharf, stop here for lunch then swing by Golden Bear Brewery for a pint or two.

• Visited May 2013