“Warm and Welcoming”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Reading some of the other reviews has prompted me to write one for the Tap. I think some of the other reviews are a little too judgemental and hard. I have been to the Tap now 3 times and would definitely return again. Its true the food isn't gastronomic but the Tap has a wonderful warm ambience, the food is well worth the money, I can feel comfortable taking my children, as it is welcoming for them too. The staff have always been friendly and more than willing to please, even when the occasional mistake has been made, they have always been rectified with a smile and a sorry. The beers are lovely, the fireplace creates a nice atmosphere. I love it here, its local and enjoyable.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Eaten here a couple of times and while the food is adequate, the service is over stretched and doesn't seem to know what's going on. First meal was early evening and was OK, but no cutlery, condiments or anything else after the plate got plonked down in front of me and the beer must have been in the pipes for a long time as was flat and odd tasting. Figured a second chance was deserved, so went for a take away pizza. A "20 minute" wait was 45 minutes for a pizza we could see sitting under heat lights for 10 minutes - and only got because I went and chased it up. It was verging on cool and barely adequate but we ate it to fill in the time it took to get the side of fries that had been forgotten and eventually arrived in another pizza box. No condiments, no apology or even interest from staff. Won't be back.

1  Thank MobileKiwi
Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

Lovely meal marred by poor service. Waitress didn't speak English and had trouble with almost every interaction we had. Despite fire being on and looking nice and cosy every door was open so restaurant was FREEZING. Steak was really good value. Dessert wasn't great. Good facilities for kids which was nice.

1  Thank goMTBgirl
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Discovered it on our trip to Motueka. Caught the bus from the airport and it took us via Mapua, a place we did not know existed. We spied 'The Tap and decided to come back the next day. For me it was all about the ambiance. The food was 'ok' nothing special. In saying that we ONLY had a light meal, but the lamb shanks bought out to the table next to us looked yummy. The beer selection was quite good, and our Rose was lovely, the service let the place down a bit.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Stayed in Mapua on St Patricks day and decided we must go out for a "pint" on St Patricks Day.
It was 8pm so chose the Tap Ale House. What a disapointment.Very little Irish. Sport on TV and not a hint of music.

1  Thank ardgourtarras