“Nasty Experience”

Ranked #1 of 1 Inkberrow B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Nasty Experience”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Was really looking forward to a lovely weekend with good company and a nice place to stay. This place just is not up to scratch and there are a lot of little things that could be corrected so easily. How hard is it to hoover the carpets before you are expecting guests? The rooms are very dirty, peeling paint off the walls, exposed electrical wires, cobwebbs, dirty sheets, left over soap from previous customers, dirty windows, radiators that just don't work, showers that burn you, so very dangerous. When we spoke to the Manager he seemed totally oblivous to what is going on in his B&B, basically said it was a Managed House and that they can only work with what they have got. I understand this, but is it not his job as the Manager, to make sure that his guests all have clean rooms, and that everything is functioning in the room. Surely the hoover works and he knows how to put a jay cloth round the sink and shower tray, perhaps some Domestos in the toilet so it is not dark brown and full of pebbles. I feel well and truly ripped off having paid £50.00 for a room that I had to sleep in fully clothed.

Room Tip: Don't visit until been overhauled
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Linda T, Owner at The Bulls Head Inn, responded to this review, 29 December 2011
Hi, I am the new owner of The Bulls Head, I move in on 6th January 2012. Where as it has been run by managers, I will be running it myself which means it will be run properly. I hope you will give The Bulls Head another chance one day, I promise you won't regret it. Thanks, Linda.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We have just come back from a weekend away here. We booked the Bulls Head Inn as it was a Birthday celebration, close to where we were celebrating and we had heard that it had a refurbishment. On arrival we were greeted to a lovely looking pub. Looking very warm and very fresh. The manager was welcoming and showed us to our rooms.

On arrival of our rooms we noticed that they were cold and the bathrooms were dirty. We went to the manager and he came and sorted out the heating in one room and cleaned the bathroom. But on further inspection of the other room it the bathroom was dirty and looked like their were other people's towels left in the bathroom. We then went out thinking that the manager was sorting everything out. When we returned later on in the evening one room was still cold and one of the rooms was extremely hot and we couldn't turn down the radiator. While getting in bed not overly convinced how clean the bedding was on.

The following day the shower is a little traumatic one of the showers doesnt stay up in the hold and the other shower is little more than a trickle and goes from boiling hot to absolutely freezing.

We cannot comment on food for breakfast as we had organised to go to breakfast with the family but the manager was very accomodating that we cancelled our breakfast at the day of the event,

On the same day another member of the party came to stay in the hotel their room looked cleaner than the previous two rooms but on further expectation of the room hair was found on the bed sheets. The following morning their was no electricity in the room and I declare that I went to shower in our family's house rather than facing the shower again!!

We spoke to the manager when we were leaving about being unsatisfactory with the services and he was generally helpful and knocked the price down. This hotel could be so lovely if a little bit of money was spent on it. Major factors making sure that it is cleaned, heating sorted and perhaps different showers or sorting out the thermostat.

We hope one day to be able to stay in this very convienant place again but with an improved ambience and a cleaner ambience.

Room Tip: Make sure you check your room before you pay it.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Aberaeron, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Went here recently for a meal (for two). The 'new' managers are the third or fourth this year so we thought we'd give it a go. The place is nicely decorated and appealing, both the manager and his partner are welcoming and chatty which is nice. The selection of beer/wine is very limited (perhaps there is an issue with getting stock in?).

The menu is well thought out with enough variety without it being cluttered. We were the first and only people in the restaurant when we ordered and were served. The starter was excellent, a chicken kebab tzatziki and probably worth the £4.50.

For my main course I went for the speciality burger and was rewarded with a 'good choice' comment from the manager. Unfortunately it wasn't. The burger bun was not fresh and both parts were burnt on one edge when it was toasted. The burger was medium size and quite thick - but with absolutely no flavour or taste whatsoever. The burger was about £7.00 with chips and some salad - it was a very poor show indeed.

My companion went for the fish, I think it was Dover Sole, again this was not quite up to scratch, a small portion, about the size of two fish fingers with a price tag of £12.00 (there or there abouts)

In fairness to the manager, when I told him that the burger was no good, he immediately offered us complimentary desserts by way of apology. Although we chose not to accept these it was a nice gesture but I would have preferred some sort of quality control at the outset.

You simply don't send out a day old bun that is burnt for a meal that is costing about £7.00

I think if they can stick at it and get the basics sorted this could be a popular little watering hole in the village, they are certainly a 'likeable' couple.

I think I might be tempted to try it again just to see if these teething problems have been ironed out.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank NevMetson
Neath
Reviewed 23 October 2011

No heating in room for both nights stay,food very poor ,breakfast very small not worth the extra money.manager and partner arguing at 3am would not stay here again just cancelled for December.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wayne C
jonnycee247, Manager at The Bulls Head Inn, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
In response to the review in question....once the customer had told myself the radiator wasn't working i offered to take them to a different room,my partner and i certainly weren't argueing at 3.00am as she had been of sick with a mouth infection. the noise must of come from outside the building.and as for the breakfast i believe that cereals,full english and toast would be ample?we do ask all of our guests on entry of any dietry requirements and if guests would like additional portions this can also be requested.
we are new to the village and will endeavour to get this right in the future.
my sincerest apologies

john and jenny
the bulls head inkberrow
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Popped in for lunch, was met by a very warm and accomodating welcome. Food good. Would recommend.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Tunbridgebridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The rooms need a little updating however they were very good value!

Food, service and decor of bar and restaurant couldn't be better! Talking to staff it seems that is now under new management.

Very clean throughout the building. Lovely large garden which is well kept.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
cambridge, uk
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Never been anywhere where the coffee is so cold you can't dissolve the sugar, apart from here. Toilets were absolutely filthy - scum on washbasin could be scraped off with finger nail, waste paper bin overflowing, no toilet roll. Service dire - poor Mom's hot pudding was cold by the time they brought a spoon. Complaint about the coffee received a "well it's free isn't it" because it was in the fixed price menu (only menu available). Didn't spoil Mother's Day because it was so bad it was funny.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inkberrow
The Wood Norton Hotel
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
The Boot Inn
The Boot Inn
#1 of 1 in Flyford Flavell

Been to The Bulls Head Inn? Share your experiences!