We stayed at this hotel in autumn 2013 and booked via spa provider.
- location in the nature, close to the "Tisske steny" and other rock formations
- good chef in the restaurant
- no mobile phone signal
- outdated, even broken furniture, the whole hotel gave us an impression that the management does not invest much in maintenance
- the restaurant (as we were told) does not accept credit cards and if you wish to add your bill to the your room`s bill, they will not provide you with a copy of your receipt which you sign when you finish your meal (as is a standard in other hotels). What it means in practice is that e.g.: if you go there for a dinner on Friday, you are presented with the bill on Sunday (when you check out) and if there is any inconsistency or even a mistake (charged for more or got someone else bill, etc.) you do not have any proof in hand.
- receptionist Mr. Pavel: As stated above we booked our stay via well-tried online spa provider and paid in advance for three spa treatments (including herbal bath in our room) for each of us. We also indicated that we were traveling with a baby and thus needed more space in the room for the child`s cot.
Upon arrival we were greeted by Mr. Pavel (first name) who told us that the HOTEL DOES NOT have an ELEVATOR and we have to climb the very steep stairs with the stroller to reach our room. It was an inconvenience, but since we are young and rather athletic we did not care that much and walked upstairs to be showed our room. To our surprise we found out that the room was so small, that if there was a child`s cot, there was literally no place to fit our luggage and the stroller into the room. Also we realized that it was very hot inside the room. As we tried to open windows, we found out that it led to the balcony overlooking noisy restaurant terrace (not very suitable if you have a baby with you) but - more importantly - did not have any railing. We were really scared that our active toddler would fall out of the window!
Then I realized that though we booked room with a bathtub (for the spa treatment), there was only a shower. I went to the reception to inquire about this and was given absolutely incredible answer: "It is your problem, since you booked your stay via the spa provider and did not contacted us directly." I replied that I booked and paid for the spa treatment so I was expecting to get it and the reply came: "I do not have any free room with bathtub to put you, so sorry". I tried to call the spa provider, but there was no mobile phone signal. The receptionist witnessed it and after a while offered a fruit basket or a bottle of wine as a compensation for this "small hiccup" of the hotel.
Well, since I believed that there was no other room and was rather willing to finally start our vacation, I agreed that the bottle of wine is a nice gesture compensating one (actually two) missed spa treatments. On my way back to the room, I told the receptionist that I would contact the spa provider anyway since I was curious and wanted to know why the problem actually occurred. Mr. Pavel then called me back, saying that, actually, HE HAS A FREE ROOM and took as to adjacent building WITH an ELEVATOR. Later on I had a conversation with a cleaning lady who told me that the hotel is not full at all and met a couple of people who also switched to another room.
I must say that I was very puzzled by this behavior and by the fact that I was repeatedly lied to. I was then a bit unwilling to trust the staff of the hotel. Though the nature in Ostrov is nice, I do not think it is worth the troubles we had and think that it would be better if spa providers look for another partner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the rocky Tisa Walls area, this 4-star hotel is situated in Ostrov. It offers spacious rooms and suites with tea/coffee makers and balconies. Free wired internet and free parking is provided. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), HRS and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Ostrov reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.