“Our 3rd visit this year”

Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Our 3rd visit this year”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Well we were not disappointed again. Arrived at 1.00am in the morning after booking night flight from gatwick. Reception staff remembered us and arranged for the dining hall to be open so we could get a quick snack, what a good thought by the management team.

The room we were allocated was ideal and on the top floor overlooking the main garden area, with limited sea view.

We had very relaxing holiday and found all staff to be very attentive to our needs. The free wi if has now been moved from the reception area and is available in all rooms, so they seem too take notice at act on comments and feedback from customers.

The management are always very hands on and continually patrolling the hotel complex which is a good sign being pro active.

We will definitely be back again as it really, is great value for tenerife in a very relaxing area, but if you want night life it's not for you, so don't complain, do your research first.

The one issue I have with this holiday is not the hotel but thomsons check in at gatwick who very rude and stated the new policy for hand luggage is maximum of 5 kg which it totally unreasonable as most bags weigh 3kg when empty. However we were told we could fill the bags with as much shopping air side as we wanted which makes nonsense of the weight restrictions. Who has introduced this scheme thomsons?

Thanks to all at gran melia agin, see you soon
Martin

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank martin b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,256)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We had the most amazing time! Anyone who has rated this holiday less than 5* has too little to worry about!

I went with my husband and two children (6 and2) we had the best holiday. We arrived at 22:30 and had a swift check in and then we were taken down to the Pangea restaurant for a meal/snack which was wonderful and exactly what we required!

We stayed in a standard room and it was great, the kids stayed on a sofa bed together and we had an enormous and very comfy bed, we both commented on how well we slept over the duration of our stay.

I am very fussy with regard to food and cleanliness! But I couldn't really fault anything and the food was fantastic. We ate in the Pangea, Oasis, Market Grill and the Ocean club Restaurant and didn't have one bad meal. Also I have never seen my children eat so much food which is fantastic.

All the staff were very friendly, kind and helpful, couldn't fault any of them.

Only small suggestion is that we actually didn't go to any of the Kids club entertainment as after our evening meal we sat with friends we had met on the holiday and had a few drinks at the Ocean Club bar. My two would've just enjoyed dancing to some music, but it was too cool to have anything on that my children were interested in! Only a very slight niggle BUT wouldn't put me off going again next year!

I thought for value for money it was spot on!
Thank you to everyone at the Gran Melia Sensatori Hotel Tenerife!

1 Thank BEM30
UK
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Quite simply one of the worst resorts I have ever stayed in. This resort does not know what it is. If you are a honeymoon couple then stay clear, the number of families and children will drive you mad and remove any sense of seclusion or romance. If you are taking kids up to 4 years old then beware – this hotel is not child friendly. Everything is marble, all dining tables are metal/glass with sharp corners and steps throughout the hotel can be very steep for kids. There is no suitable cutlery for children (as you find in other hotels) – all plates are adult size and often, baking hot. We returned nervous wrecks as we tried to keep our 2-3 year old safe.I also question whether there is enough to do for kids older than 4 through to late teens. As the hotel is slapped in the middle of nowhere, you will struggle to keep kids interested for more than a week.

If you are taking kids, the timings of food could not be any worse – it is as if the person that came up with the schedule has no idea that children are staying at the hotel. Lunch in the main restaurant is not until 1pm – at least one hour too late when you have <4 yr olds. Dinner is not until 18:30 – again, I’d suggest 90 mins late if you have kids. This means snacking became popular and then lunch or dinner problematic. The morning booking system for other restaurants is a farce as residents punch in reservations for other friends – almost always book out and impossible to get a table. This issue is compounded futher if you have kids as sometimes, when you are lucky to get a table in another restaurant, it is not until 21:30 or 22:00 at best – way too late for the youngster.

We went Sensatori on a reccommendation - but our friends were way off the mark. We upgraded to take all inclusive but it is so "managed" and strict that you will end up aying much more - we paid another £500 for drinks outside of those on the all-inclusion menu. Seriously, at one time, I was told that I could not have a coffee AND a cup of tea unless we had booked two rooms for the holiday. I laughed and walked away.. seriously, this happened. The evening drinks service on the top balcony was not good. We often waited 20 minutes to get served and a further 45 minutes to get drinks - the staff are nice but there are just not enough of them - they cannot cope.

Rooms are Spa standard but not as clean as you want - we had a family of cockroaches joins us for our holiday and all we got back was a tin of spray - the hotel didn't deal with the issue.

The Thompson Sensatori staff are all good and graceful. However, it seems that access to this hotel is via three holiday clubs. Sensatori, Red Club and Sol Melia. Therefore, you are fighting 2 other clubs for access to areas, restaurants and/or special zones. It may not seem an issue but it just adds unnecessary complications and stress when you are trying to relax. So, this was quite simply awful – one of the worst (if not the worst) holidays that I have ever taken. It is a mix of 5* Spa meets 3* Holiday Inn. Until this resort figures out what it is, I would steer clear.

11 Thank phope1875
Brentwood, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the amazing Gran Melia Palacio de Isora. Fantastic hotel, great swimming pools, great food and overall such a brilliant hotel for families. The Pirate Ship pool with slides and boat was fantastic for little ones with a great life guard willing to have water fights with the kids. The family pool brilliant for the older children but the best of all is the lagoon salt water infinity pool with bali beds, seats and jets in. Tip, you can not keep sun beds until after 10am and bali beds are available at a charge but you get water, bottle of bubbly and kids lunches included so quite reasonable if you share the cost with another family. Breakfast buffet great, would recommend booking Club Ocean for dinner as definately best option as food here of a great standard. You need to book the restaurants a day in advance via the machines in reception but doubt this is a problem out of school holiday dates. We did not try the Pangea buffet for dinner as prefer waiter service. BBQ night at the Oasis grill good as well , and all drink is inclusive that night what ever board you are. Rooms great, although we chose a sea view in the end with fantastic view of sea and chill out bar for extra charge but well worth the money as a huge balcony with great furniture. Evening shows really good, childrens ones at eight and family ones at ten. Fountain in the centre of the hotel has a light and music show twice a night. Chill out bar in front of Club Ocean has great music from 6pm until 10pm, brilliant for relaxing with swinging chairs and chill out pods. Not bad market in town on Mondays. The staff were very polite and attentive. Our 11 year old had a great time at the sports hub which is across the road from the hotel and the staff here were brilliant. He played paddle tennis, football, archery and went in the water walker balls on the infinity pool (which you have to book via the pool concierge a day before) and snorkelling with water jets in the family pool. There is a photographer who is available to take photos while you are there and is very reasonable and friendly and the photos we brought from him are great memories of a great week away. The rooms are very luxurious but the only negative I could find was that the sofa bed for the children is not very stable and the mattress thin and so I would not say it was very comfortable especially for my 11 year old. Apart from that no other problems at all, a brilliant place for a family holiday and a bit of luxury.

South East
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Really impressed with the hotel when we arrived, the design & decor is very luxurious, our room was spacious, large comfy bed & just as luxurious as the rest of the hotel with sliding doors onto the balcony. The gym is good & you get complementery personal training at certain time every day, also they have a sports area for tennis, table tennis etc so plenty to occupy yourself with each day. The hotel is a bit remote from everywhere but we just enjoyed the facilities at the hotel. The resturants are all good and you have wine or beer or soft drinks included in the package, the wine was very good but if you are a lager drinker it is very bitter as you have the local beer only, although they do have peroni or hieniken which is an extra cost. They have some adult only areas as well as pools for familys so the resort caters for everyone. If you want to be sure you get booked in the resturant you want, you need to book it early in the morning at the booking stations. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel & would definatley go back again for a relaxing break.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ElizabethSouthEast
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We ended up at Sensatori after spending a few days in a very grim apartment which was not what we were used to for our holidays. I travelled with my older and younger sister (9), mother and niece (2).

The pictutes online of the hotel are amazing but seeing it in person takes your breathe away!

From check in, front desk team, housekeeping, restaurant staff, pool staff and the bell boys I could praise them anymore; friendly, efficient, attentive and professional.

The rooms are like heaven they are the most comfortable beds I have evet slept in to date. We had a 1 bed master suite so I'm not sure if that meant our bed was different but I'm sure the standard rooms are just as amazing.

Bathroom!! FANTASTIC!! I only use showers in hotels but this is the only hotel that I have used the jacuzzi bath and boy did I enjoy it.

If you are taking kids like we did this place is amazing with a playground, mini club for most of the day and a kids pool with slides and a pirate ship. Adults with no kids do not worry there is an adult only area which we visited which was so peaceful and relaxing you'd forget there were any kids on the resort.

Pangea is great soooooooo much choice and food is of a good quality would have liked to try the other half a dozen restaurants but a la carte and kids doesn't work out as well.

Entertainment and activities are great and you can choose if you want to join in or not.

Now for those who moaned about the lighting system and the restaurant booking system you really have nothing better to do than moan. The lights are ultra modern and chic and are not that hard to use. And booking restaurants can be done with one of the guest relations staff which is a quick chat and they book it for you.

Only issue for me was it would of been nice if the hotel was located next to the beach but as the resort and complax has so much to offer its something I learned to live without and when returning home I didn't feel like I really missed it.

I will definately be returning with just me and partener as it is very romantic at SensTori Tenerife.

Well done to all the staff you are a credit to the hotel

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank 16Lis16
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Absolutly fantasic, great rooms, food and service. The pools and grounds are superb. Go for the full package ,it's well worth it. I have booked again for next year.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Gary D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Roca Nivaria GH - Adrian Hoteles
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#20 of 58 in Costa Adeje
The Ritz-Carlton, Abama
The Ritz-Carlton, Abama
#3 of 6 in Guia de Isora

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!