“Top Quality Accommodation - You Get What You Pay For”

Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Top Quality Accommodation - You Get What You Pay For”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

The title says it all - this is a top quality hotel; everything about this hotel is five star, including the price. We had a family suite on the second floor overlooking the family pool and it was top quality. The hotel is immaculate in every way and is truly stunning.

We upgraded our package to include the silver drinks package at a cost of 30€ per person, per day (our daughter was free), and we were given silver bands to wear. This included certain drinks (including wine, cava, beer, some cocktails, soft drinks, tea, coffee and some others) and meant that we didn't have to pay for any drinks during our stay. My only complaint with this is that we felt that our glasses weren't topped up in the restaurant enough and we were constantly having to ask for refills and even at that some of our requests were ignored. We would expect better service that this from a hotel of this calibre and that is why I have taken a star away.

Having a five year old it was easier for us to eat every night in the buffet and I have to say that the food was excellent. There was a great selection at every meal. We ate lunch a few times at the Market Grill which was table service and again the food was excellent, although at times we found the service slow and again we had to ask for our glasses to be refilled.

We booked direct with the hotel rather than going through Sensatori as this allowed us to book the flights we wanted rather than having to take the Thomson flights, whose only flight times to and from Glasgow were too late at night for us.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
ANAGEX, Guest Experience Manager at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience in Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora. It is really important for us to know how your stay was, because your feedback is very important and helping us to improve day by day.
We are proud to know that you had a good stay with us and we reached your expectation. Also I would like to thank you for your comments about the silver drinks package, food and facilities. I will share them with the entire team.

Looking forward to welcoming you again to the Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,223)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We had a wonderful week at the Gran Melia Tenerife. This was our 3rd visit to this hotel having stayed previously before the hotel linked up with Thompsons Sensatori.

We found that the hotel was much busier this time and that it had somehow morphed from a very reserved, quiet 5* hotel into a busy resort with lots of activities, however it hasn't fully decided which clientle to persue and while trying to be all things to each customer base is causing confusion.

We booked with Melia directly on a half board basis and got a deal which included €40 credit to use per day which was great. We also took advantage of the €20 credit for not engaging housekeeping every second day...a great idea!

We found no difference in levels of service between us and those on Sensatori however there was a lot of messing with docket writing & signing which slowed up service consideribly - it would be worthwhile to invest in some sort of a swipe card system to speed up service.

The hotel is 5* in decor, the public areas are as good as I have ever encountered and it was lovely to see them fully utilised on this visit. The rooms are plenty spacious for a couple and very nicely decorated and the bathrooms are great.

Food was fine - plenty of choice in the buffet but not really 5* in my opinion. i thought the food in the other restaurants particularly the Ocean club italian was very poor - don't bother reserving it unless to experience its lovely decor!

We had lunch in a lovely restaurant just down from the hotel Sauco most days - pizza to die for and there are some good seafood restaurants in the village - worth a try.

There was an excellent entertainment programme and the facilities for sport and recreation are excellent.
The clientele was mixed. I'd say 50% were on the Sensatori package. There seemed to be a bit of confusion with the Sensatori clients about what was included and not in their package which seemed to cause a bit of agro. There is also a lot of rules, adult only places, Club Melia places, red level etc...which can be a bit irratating at times and I found there was quite a bit of upselling - staff trying to get you to join Club Melia etc which I can't abide - if I want something I'll ask!

Despite my few reservations we had a lovely relaxing holiday and I know hotels have to do what they can to keep the doors open in the current econimic climate. If I could I would probably give the hotel 4.5 rating (reducing it for the food) but I though we got good value for money and will most likely be back.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mayonews
South West UK
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I’ve just returned from a week at the resort and it far exceeded my expectations in every way. From the booking staff who handled us at Thomson online to the representative who helped us through priority boarding, even Paul the crew manager on our flight home – all were exceptionally good at their job and obviously enjoy giving outstandingly good service.

The check-in was swift and welcoming and the resort team of Stephen and Clair are friendly, natural and really welcoming. The welcome meet is a must-do as you learn a great deal, likewise the tour of the resort immediately afterwards.

Our room (5051) was very well appointed and included robes, slippers, ironing board, fridge, kettle, tea, coffee, etc. We took advantage of the 20 Euro per day cleaning rebate every day – I don’t believe it's necessary to clean every day and it gave us a 120 Euro budget for treats. The bathroom is a joy - double sinks and mirrors, walk in shower and huge bath. The loo is separate.

The attention to detail and eye for design as you explore the resort is outstanding. So much thought has gone into the design and everything is immaculately maintained by cheerful and helpful staff.

We took all of our meals in Pangea restaurant and on every occasion we visited we were greeted warmly and welcomed to a table in the outside seating area. The food options are extensive and include soup, a large selection of salads, breads, cheese, multiple hot options, multiple cold options and extensive desserts. The staff continually maintain the buffet and even at 10 minutes to closing all displays are fresh and well stocked. It felt particularly nice to enjoy a Bucks Fizz at breakfast each morning. The dining rooms as you would expect at this type of resort have a long trousers rule to preserve standards.

We were on full board option and enjoyed plenty of wine with our meals. We observed only a few instances of what I would describe as the typical ‘All Inclusive’ behaviour. It’s the least typical All Inclusive resort that I’ve visited.

The pool area is just beautiful. Sunbeds are plentiful and the pool staff manage the idiots that try to put their towels out at the crack of dawn. This practice does happen after 10am but to be honest we found it was the boozing, showy crew that wanted a sunbed by the bars and the pool who do it and as this is also the noisiest area we were happy to move along to the adults only sunbathing area which is a wonderful area where people respect the desire for relaxation and quiet. A few steps gets you to the bar if you want refreshments.

The spa is an absolute joy. I’ve visited many and this one rates in my top 3 for pleasure and value. My therapist, Anneka (I hope that’s spelt right) is top class and I strongly recommend her.

I’m sure you can tell that we were very happy indeed. We’ll definitely return and also visit the other locations.

If I had three wishes for when I return they would be:

1. A curfew in the restaurant for children or an early dinner for under 12s. It’s a personal choice but I’d rather they weren’t in the dining area after 8pm. We like to dine late so visited at 2130 most nights and we were disappointed to find them still there.

2. Strict enforcement of the restaurant dress code in the evening. On more than one occasion we saw dress that didn’t meet the standard, particularly shorts and short trousers.

3. More staff/greater speed in serving at the Ocean Bar - the wait is too long.

My advice is treat yourself – you won’t regret it!

Room Tip: If you want a balcony to use then I recommend communicating with the hotel and marking your paperwor...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Jules9001
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Personally my boyfriend and I couldn't really fault the hotel. I have seen some negative reviews on the hotel which have surprised us as we can not say enough about our experience. The hotel in our opinion is quite beautiful and I have travelled extensively around Europe and Asia and have not stayed anywhere as nice. The food on a half board basis was excellent. We couldn't fault the staff. Friendly, helpful & courteous at all times. The only thing that was lacking was any decent entertainment but then we did go just before christmas and the resort was exceptionally quiet. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings. However, do consider that there is not a lot going on outside the hotel.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary C
Dear Guest,
First of all we appreciate your comment about your stay with us at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora and the time that you dedicated to share your experience in Tripadvisor.
It is an authentic pleasure know to you enjoy your holidays and your expectation had been exceed both gastronomic experience and facilities.
Your comments were shared with different departments, because it motivate us to keep growing and improving for the total satisfaction of our guest.
Surrey
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We have just returned from Gran Melia. Like some of the other reviewers we booked through Thomas Cook. I have never been on a flight where you could not get in the brace position if needed as there was no room to lean forward, really cramped seats. However at the hotel Thomas Cook guests are put at the back of the hotel. We were on the side overlooking un developed land where the local kids hang out at night. It was noisy up until the early hours of the morning with motorbikes and squealing etc. Our room was nice and spacious, lovely and clean. The only downfall was the shower with a big overhead shower head so hard for women to keep their hair dry! The Restaurants were fine, a bit busy at times. Getting a drink in the daytime by the pool was very problematic, we were lucky if we saw more than one waiter all day! The evening entertainment in the theatre was not up to much. There is nothing much around the hotel, there is a village nearby with not many shops so its not worth venturing out for. The best thing was the weather and the Holliday was a lovely pre-Christmas break.

Room Tip: Any rooms with 50** are roadside and should be avoided
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Glassman0
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This is a great hotel if you are looking for a combination of relaxation and activity. I've rated as excellent, because, in terms of value for money it is. I've seen some poor reviews here, and heard lots of winges from people there, but I just don't know what they are expecting!
There are at least 6 restaurants, two of which are always available (with a huge range of food). So when I heard some old biddy giving the rep a mouthfull about having to 'scrape around' for something to eat, I am almost fell over! You just need to get up early and book in advance if you want one of the speciality places
For those who moaned they could not get service at the pool (and were too tight to pay all inclusive) er how about walking... there's never a big queue and service is very good.

My tops tips are as follows
1. If you want an active holiday - book into the classes, the instructors are great. Plus you can get free personal training sessions
2. Book the Italian restaurant for at least one night - food is great
3. If you want a drinking holiday book all inclusive - if not you get free wine and beer with your meal and there is a really cheap supermarket you can buy other drinks from and keepin your fridge
4. If you like peace and quiet use the adult pool
5. Visit the spa and book your treatment early eve - you can have oustide - it's blissfull
6. Ask for an upstairs room - they generally have more light
7. Lastly I always find being polite, rather than rude to the staff, usually means they are very helpful... sorry but some people here really do give Brits a bad name!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank polly s
Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a week here travelling as a couple. The room was exceptionally well fitted with very contemporary furniture and decor. All areas of the hotel were spotlessly clean. We enjoyed food at all the restaurants and the selection available was vast Although quite expensive Duo and Nami are well worth a visit. We stayed on an all inclusive basis. There were never any problems being served other than one night in the theatre where there was only one waiter trying his best to serve everyone.

Only minus points were the mini bar in the room. Usually all inclusive at least have some beers and pops included in your room. Also although you wear the all inclusive wristbands you still have to sign for everything you have which is a bit tedious.
However I would definitely recommend the hotel and we hope to return next year.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Washington17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Roca Nivaria GH - Adrian Hoteles
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!