“Fantastic hotel, great staff and brilliant food!,”

Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We went to this hotel on Christmas Day through to New Years Day and couldn't fault it at all. It was booked through
Thomsons and every step of the way was great. We booked a garden room and had a lovely large room with path down to our own Bali day bed. The room itself was well appointed with toiletries and bathrobes, slippers and tea/coffee making facilities. This is a large hotel with over 600 rooms, so expect to walk a fair way to get round the whole site. Whilst there were lots of families in the hotel, there are specialist areas for everyone and plenty of sunbeds far away from the noise of children. The staff were all very polite and the Thomson reps very helpful. Despite other posts I have just read, the food was superb, especially on New Year's Eve, where a fantastic buffet was provided, then entertainment, free Cava at midnight and fireworks, then entertainment till 2am. Despite the mess that had been made, crew worked through the night to restore the hotel back to normal the next day. Food in the other restaurants we experienced was really lovely, we had so much choice all around the hotel, you couldn't want more. The view from the hotel is superb, the sunsets are a photographers dream! I would love to go back again and spend longer than just a week. Well done to all the staff, especially the restaurant ones who worked so hard on New Years Eve to make it all so special for their guests.

Stayed: December 2012
Pablo Q, Red Glove Service Manager at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Mrs KarenS14,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about your stay at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora on Tripadvisor and thank you so much for selecting our hotel for your vacations.

It is a real pleasure for the entire team listening to your wonderful comments about the New Year’s Eve. Your comments will help us with our continuing effort to assure the best night of the year.

We hope to have the honour to receive your again.
Best greetings,

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Spent ten days at the hotel and was very impressed with the grounds and facilities. A lovely setting and the potential for a superb holiday. Unfortunately I was not expecting such a high percentage of young families. Mealtimes in particular were not relaxing at all. Somewhere nearby would be a screaming child and it was very difficult to find a quiet area in the restaurants. There was an adult area on a balcony of the self service restaurant but this was ringed with young families so you were never more than a couple of tables away. I had considered staying in the Red Level if I return to the hotel but I now understand that families are allowed in the Red Level accommodation if not in all the Red Level facilities. I don't think that I want to risk it.
A fantastic hotel if you have a young family. Families are catered for extremely well.
If you want a quiet or romantic holiday then this is probably not the best place to find it.

4  Thank David H
Ana_Goti, E-GuestExperience at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2013

Dear David H

I would like to thank you in the name of all Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora staff for your feedback.

We are proud to know that you had a good stay with us and I am delighted with your comments about the staff, grounds and facilities. Regarding your question, we have two diferent products in two differents areas: Red Level and Red Level for families. Red Level is only for adults, really peaceful and extremely appropriate for romantic holidays and breaks.

We hope to have you back soon enjoying the Red Level at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Enjoyed a lovely week here in the sun. Would recommend paying extra for Red Level for peace & quiet. Excellent rooms, service and facilities. Definitely ticks all the boxes for a quick week of relaxation in the sun. Bali beds fabulous with butler service, jacuzzi bath on bedroom balcony and inclusive drinks from 6-7pm every evening in Red level lounge. Excellent lunches at the Market Restaurant by the infinity pool. Many options for dining in the evening but I wouldn't bother with the Japanese Restaurant though, overpriced and over rated. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Chose Red Level, jacuzzi bath on balcony with seaview
3  Thank traveller462007
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I stayed at the hotel on business. Usually I would have my family in tow (two small children) so I had both heads on during my stay. As a couple think total relaxation. as a family, think luxury and calm. If you have crazy kids like I do, I would probably recommend going in season when programmes are put on to accommodate the kids, and they will have plenty to keep them occupied too. This is by far one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The infinity pool is breath taking. There are separated adult areas too, which I took advantage of without my children, allowing everybody peace and tranquility, and waiters on demand to serve drinks when required. There are plenty of sun beds too. The food variety and quality was very good. I intended to be healthy and I was, but I couldn't resist loading my plate with the delicious meals - so probably not quite to plan! The rooms themselves were spotless and very pleasing on the eye. The TV includes BBC1 to CH4, and some kids channels too. Be sure to have a drink in the bar or on the decking area over looking the infinity pool, when the sun is setting. I would also advise that if you're not fully mobile, to ask for a room near to reception. The hotel is huge, and rooms can be quite far away. Transfer time is approx 35 mins from/to the airport.

Room Tip: Less mobile should request rooms near to reception. Rooms with even numbers tend to face the pool ar...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank MrsM07
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We have just returned from our 2nd visit to this beautiful hotel . The weather was gorgeous but the cracks began to show. There were many children in all the dining areas available we are used to children but there were no adult areas and it is nice to eat in peace .Apparently the management had tried everything but it had not worked personally I think they need to try a little harder as all the other Sensatoris have adult only areas which are respected by everyone and enforced, I fear that the lack of this may loose them older customers who have been there, done that and bought the tee shirts.

The restaurants were very good but service could have been better and sometimes you had to wait for ages to eat. The Pangea staff were superb and very attentive but the food was lacking and some evenings not repenished which left you eating what was left unless of course you liked pork - the quality definetly was not five star.

We would love to go back next year but myself and many others have our doubts - are we just being picky in paradise - unfortunately paradise does come at a price and if it falls short we will try other places. Maybe this Sensatori should seriously think about changing its policy to that of the other hotels I do hope so

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely and spacious.
2  Thank midgemere
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Really enjoyed staying here and wish I could have the bathroom at home. There were a few bad points such as having to pay 75 percent of the bill in some restaurants when you have paid for your meal already, surely Thomson you should charge 25? Also the entertainment was limited but I did have a relaxing time in lovely surroundings.

Room Tip: If you smoke requests room on 5th floor as you can't smoke in any others
3  Thank Laura H
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We have just had a superb holiday on the Red Level of this Hotel. The accommodation is really good quality, clean, stylishly furnished and staffed with polite accommodating people, I was so pleased that I have already booked my rooms and flights for a return in October.Red level is free of children and has a heated saltwater pool in spring and Autumn.
Breakfast and lunch are excellent with a wide selection of courses, they should satisfy all tastes.
The only down side was a load intrusive guest, who constantly treated the staff arrogantly,English of course! Other guests were well behaved, obeyed the dress code
Head for the Red for a genuine FIVE STAR Holiday
Should you stray down to the Pakage holiday area beware the foo is like a works cantine

Room Tip: If you can afford the red level it is superb, rather 1 week in excellent surroundings with well trai...
2  Thank geoff_wat

Dear Geoff_wat,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for spend your holidays in Tenerife, as well as for your kind comments about our quality, lunch, breakfast and staff; be sure that I will share them with the entire team.

We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora and that you felt so comfortable.

Our apreciation again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz
Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles
Roca Nivaria GH - Adrian Hoteles
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#15 of 60 in Costa Adeje

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!