“Below expectations”

Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stated all-inclusive But was only drink plus package

Limited drinks list

Poor service Not interested unless tipped , the food quality was bland at best . chefs in buffet resturant were poor . Selection on salads poor
Room service poor Hotel staff only interested if you were red level

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert B
Pablo Q, Red Glove Service Manager at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Mr. Robert B,

First we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora for your holiday at Tenerife, as well as for the time you have spent on sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We would like to inform you that in Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora we do not commercialize any kind of All Inclusive package. Therefore our guests can book any of the different boards we offer such as Accommodation Only, Bed and Breakfast, Half Board (breakfast and dinner once a day without drinks), Full Board (breakfast, lunch and dinner once a day without drinks) or Full Board + (breakfast, lunch and dinner once a day, with the selected drinks included on this package served during these meals) as well as acquiring our Drinks Packages whether Gold package or Silver package (depending on the package, the included drinks may change) served in our bars and during your meals at our restaurants.

However, you may rest assured that we will analyze each of your comments and suggestions for future improvements, as your feedback is a great value for us to carry on with our effort to always improve ourselves.

We hope to welcome you soon.

There are newer reviews for Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just returned from a wonderful week with my husband and four month old baby on our first family holiday.

The good:

Beautiful hotel which really had the wow factor, especially the foyer which feels very Vegas like. Very grand, huge space and beautifully decorated.

The 290 meter infinity pool is just massive and totally beautiful. The main feature of the hotel.

The bedrooms are also immaculate and the Eco-friendly incentive they offer where you get a 20 euro credit any day you choose not to have your room cleaned is a great idea. We actually racked up 80 euros within our stay which paid for all our evening and poolside drinks. They also had all our preordered baby equipment ready and waiting in our room which was brilliant. (Steriliser, bottle warmer etc)

The complimentary day activities for adults and children are also fantastic. I enjoyed yoga or Pilates with Cassie every morning outside in the shade which was a lovely addition to a relaxing holiday.

The only niggles I have is:

The lack of us loungers versus number of guests. There is a daily battle to get a sun lounger before 10am (as your not allowed to reserve) as there just aren't quite enough seats for all guests. Also the areas specially reserved for Red level and melia club guests, where there are empty loungers all day long.

The lack of staff. Maybe it was the time of year at the beginning of high season, but it felt that there weren't quite enough staff to keep service levels to a real Five star standard.

The restaurants reservation system (again) as a result of not enough capacity at the restaurants. We only managed to get one night at Ocean Restauant and we had a baby who made it easy to go to the reservation hubs at 6.30am and still there were no tables available!

Overall we had a lovely holiday and would definitely recommend but feel there are a few issues which need to be ironed out by management before I would say it was truly a five star hotel.

1  Thank jenn_ukLondon_UK

Dear Mrs. jenn_ukLondon_UK,

Thank you your choosing Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora for your first family holiday, as well as for the time you have taken to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay at Tenerife, as it is due to the effort and dedication of our team, that we are able to achieve our goal – the total satisfaction of our guests. Also, your compliments on our facilities, our sustainable initiative, the Green Choice, and entertainment program are highly appreciated. However, do not hesitate that we will take into consideration each of your comments for future improvements.

Regarding to your comments about Sensatori’s computer system to book our restaurants, you may rest assured that we will forward your impressions to Thomson, in order for them to take them into consideration for future improvements. In addition, we would like to inform you that our resort has enough sunbeds for all of our guests, although sometimes it may be difficult to find many loungers together at an specific area of your liking. However, do not hesitate to contact our Pool Concierge team, who will be glad to help you find loungers for you.

We hope to see you soon at Tenerife.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hotel has the wow factor when you arrive and this stayed with us the whole time. The hotel is well kept and all areas are decorated very stylishly. We had red level service which was great. Ana and the other staff were so friendly and helpful. We also had priority booking on the restaurants so could get in every night. We heard the Thomson guests found it hard to get in

Food wasn't excellent and would expect better for this class of hotel. We liked the Italian but had an average meal at the Mediterranean one. Pools were excellent with choice for everyone. The family pool was saltwater which I found stung my eyes slightly. Overall a brilliant holiday and will defiantly return!

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
Pablo Q, Red Glove Service Manager at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Mrs. Lucy M,

First we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora for your holiday and for the time you have spent on sharing your impressions through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at Tenerife, as well as the Red Level service provided by our team. However, you may rest assured that we will take into consideration each of your comments as a great value for us to keep bettering ourselves and we will analyze each of your impressions. Finally, we would like to inform you that our Family Pool is not saltwater but heated fresh water.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We went Sensatori - just me and my daughter. Our first solo holiday together and I wanted it to be special. I waited a while before reviewing the holiday so I could reflect on our stay. The hotel, staff, room, facilities exceeded our expectations. The pictures from our holiday have made our friends jealous and look exactly like a brochure! We went full board plus which was perfect for me as I couldn't drink all day with a 7 year old! Just a couple of glasses at dinner. Eating was a real pleasure experience each day. Would go again but maybe book direct for an even more special experience. Thank you Gran Melia!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank nashpash

Dear Mrs. nashpash,

Firstly we would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share this excellent review of Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora on TripAdvisor.

It is truly a pleasure to know that yourself and your daughter have enjoyed your stay at Tenerife, as your satisfaction is the best reward to our staff’s dedication to the service excellence. Also, your compliments on our gastronomic offer are highly appreciated, since we create unique dining experiences to surprise each of our guests.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The decoration of the hotel and the scenery were fantastic, the room look amazing with the rain showers it is one of the best rooms i have seen.

I was with my wife and daughter of 10 months. The beds were not connected to eachother so we lay seperate in bed.

The food in the a la carte restaurants were very bad, carpaccio with musterd!? al covered in water from the freezer. Presentation was very bad and the prices were very high the carpaccio costed +/-18 euro each. The Japanese and the ocean grill were not better.

The rules that the hotel has for the 1200 clients gave me a school feeling. They did not want to give me a bucket ice at the reception - I had to call roomservice. No food service at the pool between 13.00 and 15.00, only 2 towels no more and more. It did not gave me a feeling i was pampered.

Unfortunately the awards that they received did not apply during my holiday. I do not give gran melia the award for best resort in spain.

I do not reccomend this, my experiences in Bahia del Duc were better.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank S. Gerrit D
Pablo Q, Red Glove Service Manager at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Mr. S. Gerrit D,

We would like to begin by thanking you, not only for selecting Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora for your family holiday, but also for the time you have taken to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

We regret not being able to cover your expectations during your stay, as all of our team strives to pamper our guests for them to enjoy unique experiences at Tenerife. However, do not hesitate that we will take into consideration each of your suggestions, as we think that just through listening carefully to our guests’ opinions, we will be able to continue improving ourselves.

Finally, regarding the bucket of ice you requested at our Front Desk, we would like to inform you that they do not have any buckets or ice, therefore this requirement must have done through our Room Service department.

We hope to welcome you soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed in the Sensatori Crete hotel a few years ago and decided that this year we'd treat ourselves and go for the Tenerife one - and it was worth every single penny!

We read a number of negative reviews prior to going which put doubts in our mind but - much like the negative reviews for Crete - we soon realised it was over the top, selfish idiots that had nothing better to do but complain because they have no empathy or understanding for others.

A few examples before I get into just how fantastic this resort was:

- There was a family of four at guest relations complaining that their room wasn't a sea view room... when they didn't pay for one. They were complaining that they'd requested one via email, but didn't want to pay for it as an actual optional extra? How does that work? It's pretty darn obvious that you pay for what you get. Besides, we absolutely loved our view of the mountains, so don't assume that because you're not looking at the sea then you'll have a terrible view.

- The number of people that complained because the bar "took too long" was quite frankly, pathetic. There is one bar that covers a large area which includes one restaurant. They have about 8-10 staff members that work behind the bar and also cater to people by bringing them drinks. There are easily 150 people to cater for in the peak hours, and people complain because they've had to wait half hour for their "servant" to come deliver their drink? I found it to be so rude and disrespectful to the staff. They literally work as hard as possible and people still moan. I rarely asked for the waiters to get me a drink unless of course I was in a restaurant (where they were always very quick). I always went to the bar myself and was always served relatively quickly.

- Continuing on above, there's also a pool concierge service where you press the button on a nearby terminal and one of the waiters will come and take an order for your drink to save you going to the bar. A great service which really increases the luxury feel at the complex. We never used this service because we didn't like to have waiters running around for us around the pool, and I also preferred to go to the bar as a little break from the sun bed regardless, but once again people moan.

"Why have you taken half hour to deliver our drinks? This is unacceptable!"

I think people forget there is one bar to cater for the large infinity pool and also adult pool? That's a lot of people. I think for them to do it in half hour is pretty reasonable. Besides, if you're not happy with waiting half an hour, how about you get off your lazy backside and walk less than a minute to the bar? I did that and was always served very quickly.

- Failing to book a restaurant. There are a number of restaurants at the hotel and they must all be booked via a terminal in advance - other than the buffet. Now, this is of course an inconvenience. I went to the terminal at midnight every day, because at that time the bookings for two days ahead open up, e.g. if I booked at midnight Tuesday, I could book for any time on Thursday. The machines are a bit late I think (12:05am roughly they become bookable) but it guarantees that you'll get a reservation at any restaurant. I never once failed to get a reservation. People were of course unhappy about this, complaining that they shouldn't have to do the reservation or that they're upset that the restaurant is fully booked. Well, once again, I think this is pathetic. There are probably close to 1500 people at the resort, all of whom are probably keen on trying the restaurants, what system would you suggest that works better? Would you call up the busiest restaurant in your local town two days before and complain that they're fully booked? No, so why is it any different here?

-----

So, to conclude, the negatives are just selfish morons that think the resort resolves around them. If you understand that there is 606 rooms to cater for in one of the biggest complex's I've ever seen, then you won't be let down.

The room's are amazing, very comfortable and spacious beds, a lovely big bath, a shower that comes from the ceiling and drains through the floor, soft towels, quite a few English channels (our favourite was Travel+ on channel 40 or 41 I think) and a great view of the mountains from our balcony.

The complex is massive and has several pools. You never struggle to get a sun bed regardless of the time of day. The infinity pool is a fantastic view but the water is a bit salty so we stuck to the adult pool area which was very peaceful and relaxed. The entertainment was always good with several talented performers, the bars were well stocked, the resort itself was beautiful and we loved walking round it at night.

Lastly, the food was the highlight of the hotel. We went to the Club Ocean Italian three times, the Oasis Grill for a BBQ night (available Fridays and Saturdays), the Market Grill once and the Duo Fine Dining restaurant too. The Club Ocean was a pleasant surprise because we could not believe that they were offering such tasty fillet steak as part of our package! The Oasis Grill BBQ night was stacked with meat which is exactly what us blokes are looking for! The Market Grill was tasty too. Lastly, the Duo Fine Dining was the best meal of our holiday and one of the best of our lives. You are treated like royalty throughout, the menus are on iPads, the food is unbelievable, in particular the Steak Diane and the service throughout was impeccable. Our bill came to €170 but with our 30% discount from the hotel it was €123, and €140 with a tip!

We alternated between the Oasis Grill and Market Grill every day for lunch, both were delightful. We only went to the Pangea buffet for breakfast which had plenty of variety and also for lunch on our last day which had a lot of choice too.

Myself and my partner cannot recommend this hotel enough. Go there and enjoy yourself, you're on holiday after all, don't stress about anything because it's not worth it. Relax, unwind and go with the flow and you'll have an experience you'll never forget!

Thank you Gran Melia and Sensatori Tenerife for everything. We will definitely visit again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Kurtis F

Dear Mr. MrFehr,

Thank you for the time you have taken to share this excellent review on TripAdvisor regarding your experience at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora.

We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay at Tenerife, as it is due to the effort of our staff that we are able to achieve our goal – the total satisfaction of our guests. In addition, your compliments regarding our DÚO Fine Dining restaurant, as well as our facilities, service and rooms are highly appreciated, since your kind comments are the best reward to our team’s dedication to the service excellence.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at Tenerife.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We travel all around the world but this is the only place we come back every year. We simply adore this hotel. It has everything we need for a prefect holiday.
We booked standard room but were really pleased on arrival as we got beautiful garden room with bali bed, close to family pool. Gran Melia definitely knows how to treat returning guests. We booked our favourite bali bed in advance for couple of days. It gets more expensive every year but we love it and champagne by infinity pool is unforgettable experience.
We never had a problem with any restaurant booking and pleasingly ate in our favourite restaurant the Italian several times. The staff can't do enough for you here. It’s nice the staff is still the same and they all remembered us. The service in the bars was fabulous and our drinks were fantasic!
We have 7year old daughter and she enjoyed the kids club. It’s better than Sensatori one because there is always space and you don’t have to queue to sign up (like last year). Evening entertainment with bouncy castle was great too. Our daughter found a best friend and they played together while we could sit outside on the sofas and sip our drinks.
The new beach is really nice, much better than El Duque. The black sand is quite soft and there are no big waves so even small children can swim.

Overall another amazing holiday I can't wait to return. We’ll definitely go back again!

4  Thank Alexandra B
Pablo Q, Red Glove Service Manager at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Mrs. Alexandra B,

First we would like to thank your for selecting Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora, as well as for the time you have taken to share this excellent review of our resort on TripAdvisor.

It is truly a pleasure for us to know that you have chosen our resort for the 4th time to spend your holiday at Tenerife, as your loyalty is the best reward to our team’s dedication to the service excellence. We are glad to read that our BaliBeds experiences were to your liking and that both our rooms and Club Ocean restaurant covered your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Red Glove Service Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 81 in Puerto de la Cruz
Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles
Roca Nivaria GH - Adrian Hoteles
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#14 of 59 in Costa Adeje

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!