“Very tasty lunch on sunny Sunday”
Review of The Bell

The Bell
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Studham
Price range: US$15 - US$32
Cuisines: Italian, British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Studham is the Southern most village in Bedfordshire & there you’ll find the highest lying village pub, a genuine freehold… ‘The Bell’. The Grade II listed, 500 year old sanctuary, is nestled quietly amidst some of Bedfordshire’s finest countryside. With panoramic views and an abundance of original character, the picture postcard haven can be found just 10 minutes from both Dunstable & Hemel Hempstead and 5 minutes from the Dunstable Downs and Whipsnade Zoo. We pride ourselves on providing ‘Food and Gifts we Love’ and together with our team aim to provide a warm welcome… Enjoy traditional food favourites…Home-made Pies, Sunday Roasts with all the trimmings, freshly beer battered Cod & triple cooked chips, to eat in or take-away and even a ‘99’ soft Ice cream!. As well as authentic pasta dishes, fresh fish & fine meats. Be enticed with the aroma of fresh dough Italian pizzas being cooked from the warmth of the stone clay pizza oven. Wines are often recommended and our Coffee Frappes are unique to The Bell. As you walk in, you’ll notice gifts and goodies around. If it’s got a price on it…then it’s for sale! From wine racks, clocks and signs to candles and novelty items – perfect as a gift but even better to keep for you!Whether you pop in for a’ Brew & Bakery Treat’, or simply rest a while with a snack at lunchtime with our ‘Cask 2 Glass Ale’ after a walk. Enjoy free Wi-Fi ‘n’ revive with our fresh ‘Bean to Cup’ Coffees or an evening sipping champagne by the glass. Holding a function or dining with family & friends.
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Very tasty lunch on sunny Sunday”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Good old-fashioned country pub with friendly staff, good ales and tasty food. Bar food is a step up from most pubs and has some nice touches. I can recommend the chicken skewers with flat bread. Outside garden at front is nice way to spend a Sunday lunchtime

• Visited May 2014

Dunstable, United Kingdom
“Sunday dinner at the Bell”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Wonderful pub! I went recently with friends sharing a mixed antipasti board for starter and a mix roast for mains. Both were delicious, I always have the antipasti board for a starter, they are great for sharing with friends, meats,olives,cheeses, flat bread, salad and dips, ideal! And the mix roast was delicious, meat was cooked perfectly and the whole meal was very tasty, my only regret is I couldn't finish it!
The bell has a brilliant atmosphere, with a great choice in music! The staff were very friendly and helpful. no faults here. I shall continue to eat at the Bell with my friends.

St Albans, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Great atmosphere, friendly service, sadly the food didn't match up. The first time I had a Sunday lunch there, (two of us a couple of months ago) we ordered roast beef. It was nearly 3.00 and the beef was nice and medium rare but cold. Fair enough, we were a little late. Today we decided to give it another try and both went for the beef again. Oh dear....very small portions of thin dark grey overcooked dry meat. I couldn't be bothered to send it back, I suppose I should have. I was politely asked at the end of the meal how it was, so I explained about the meat.
The young waitress said sorry and that she would tell the chef, however no one came out to speak with me. It's just such a shame that so many pubs that must rely on their food sales are so inconsistent. I doubt we will try for a third time.

2 Thank 538Peter
London, United Kingdom
“Average, but pricey, pub grub”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Nice atmosphere, friendly staff.
BUT, £10 for a pizza ?!? Not so much as a lettuce leaf to accompany it.
I asked (when ordering) if I could substitute the BBQ sauce for a few olives, that was okay. I was then charged extra.

Poor value for money.

Nikki F, Owner at The Bell, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback, we offer a wide selection of home made dishes and our fresh dough authentic Italian Pizzas are one of our best sellers and feel the price for both the pizza and toppings are in line with market comparison but appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our service.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Sorely disappointed!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

After reading the website we were excited to visit the bell. The owners enthusiasm & customer testimonials looked second to none. When we arrived the pub looked very pretty, if not slightly 'busy' with all the nik naks out the front.
We had booked a table in the restaurant but were surprised when we were handed a rather mediocre bar menu. Obviously the bell is a pub but I was definitely hoping for something more than ham, egg & chips.
Though not a huge choice I felt rushed when the waitress asked for our order. We had arrived a few mins late but apart from one other table the restaurant was empty. She stood over us whilst I chose my meal & made me feel slightly awkward.
My mushroom starter was nice, though over priced for what it was. Our friends had the shared meat platter, again pricey but seemed to enjoy it.
I ordered the chicken Kiev main with sauté potatoes, it arrived with chips but no comment was made from myself or the server. The Kiev consisted of a large chunk of chicken breast covered in bread crumbs with chopped garlic on top, not a typical Kiev & not particularly tasty either but I was hungry.
After being told they were out of fillet steak my partner had a sirloin. He said it tasted nice but was shocked at the end to see we'd been charged £3.99 for the peppercorn sauce!
My friend had the prawn linguine, she enjoyed it at first but it became bland & too much of the same thing. It also had olives in that she wasn't aware of.
The bell burger seemed to go down a treat, no complaints there.
We asked for ketchup & as 3 of us had chips felt the small pot we were given seemed very tight but were relieved to see we weren't charged for it!
Once we had finished & the plates cleared we waited for the waitress to come back & offer desserts/ coffee/ more drinks. She didn't.
We were sat there easily 45 mins.
Our table was rather awkwardly placed right near the door, amongst the bric a brac they have for sale. If anyone came in or out our chairs were knocked. Luckily only one or two people passed either way.
Had the restaurant been full I would have understood but the fact it was empty & we'd booked therefore were expecting us it seemed a strange place to sit us.
After no waitress came we finally saw someone & asked for the bill. At no point were we asked how our meal was.
Once the bill arrived, the waitress was quick to come over with the card machine, that wasnt needed, if only she'd have been so quick with drinks, offer of desserts etc!
We were shocked at how expensive it was, especially as we were still hungry!
We eat out regularly, with friends & our children but were massively disappointed with the bell.
As far as pub grub goes this was average but the level of service really was shocking.
We felt neglected & ignored, awkward in fact!
Would we visit there again? No.
Would we recommend? Definitely not! In a nut shell, over priced, under served & an all over uncomfortable experience!

3 Thank Purplehoneybee
Nikki F, Owner at The Bell, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
I am sorry that your visit to The Bell was less than satisfactory, we do strive to offer quality food and a warm welcome. I am sorry that the waitress did not ask you how your meals were on this occassion but we would have welcomed your comments at the time to endeavour to make it up to you and implement improvements where we can.