“Very average!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Studham
Price range: US$17 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian, British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Studham is the Southern most village in Bedfordshire & there you’ll find the highest lying village pub, a genuine freehold… ‘The Bell’. The Grade II listed, 500 year old sanctuary, is nestled quietly amidst some of Bedfordshire’s finest countryside. With panoramic views and an abundance of original character, the picture postcard haven can be found just 10 minutes from both Dunstable & Hemel Hempstead and 5 minutes from the Dunstable Downs and Whipsnade Zoo. We pride ourselves on providing ‘Food and Gifts we Love’ and together with our team aim to provide a warm welcome… Enjoy traditional food favourites…Home-made Pies, Sunday Roasts with all the trimmings, freshly beer battered Cod & triple cooked chips, to eat in or take-away and even a ‘99’ soft Ice cream!. As well as authentic pasta dishes, fresh fish & fine meats. Be enticed with the aroma of fresh dough Italian pizzas being cooked from the warmth of the stone clay pizza oven. Wines are often recommended and our Coffee Frappes are unique to The Bell. As you walk in, you’ll notice gifts and goodies around. If it’s got a price on it…then it’s for sale! From wine racks, clocks and signs to candles and novelty items – perfect as a gift but even better to keep for you!Whether you pop in for a’ Brew & Bakery Treat’, or simply rest a while with a snack at lunchtime with our ‘Cask 2 Glass Ale’ after a walk. Enjoy free Wi-Fi ‘n’ revive with our fresh ‘Bean to Cup’ Coffees or an evening sipping champagne by the glass. Holding a function or dining with family & friends.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The bell is a nice pub with a lovely atmosphere, unfortunately the food and service didn't match up. The waitresses were pleasant enough but not friendly. When asking about what meats were included as the roast meat selection we were simply told 'It is whatever the chef has' - not terribly helpful! An order was also forgotten, although we were not charged when it eventually arrived.
The antipasti was nice however the roasts and burgers were distinctly average. All in all, would not put this high up on the list compared to other eateries in the area.

1  Thank Dan B

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Good old-fashioned country pub with friendly staff, good ales and tasty food. Bar food is a step up from most pubs and has some nice touches. I can recommend the chicken skewers with flat bread. Outside garden at front is nice way to spend a Sunday lunchtime

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Wonderful pub! I went recently with friends sharing a mixed antipasti board for starter and a mix roast for mains. Both were delicious, I always have the antipasti board for a starter, they are great for sharing with friends, meats,olives,cheeses, flat bread, salad and dips, ideal! And the mix roast was delicious, meat was cooked perfectly and the whole meal was very tasty, my only regret is I couldn't finish it!
The bell has a brilliant atmosphere, with a great choice in music! The staff were very friendly and helpful. no faults here. I shall continue to eat at the Bell with my friends.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Great atmosphere, friendly service, sadly the food didn't match up. The first time I had a Sunday lunch there, (two of us a couple of months ago) we ordered roast beef. It was nearly 3.00 and the beef was nice and medium rare but cold. Fair enough, we were a little late. Today we decided to give it another try and both went for the beef again. Oh dear....very small portions of thin dark grey overcooked dry meat. I couldn't be bothered to send it back, I suppose I should have. I was politely asked at the end of the meal how it was, so I explained about the meat.
The young waitress said sorry and that she would tell the chef, however no one came out to speak with me. It's just such a shame that so many pubs that must rely on their food sales are so inconsistent. I doubt we will try for a third time.

2  Thank 538Peter
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Nice atmosphere, friendly staff.
BUT, £10 for a pizza ?!? Not so much as a lettuce leaf to accompany it.
I asked (when ordering) if I could substitute the BBQ sauce for a few olives, that was okay. I was then charged extra.

Poor value for money.

Nikki F, Owner at The Bell, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback, we offer a wide selection of home made dishes and our fresh dough authentic Italian Pizzas are one of our best sellers and feel the price for both the pizza and toppings are in line with market comparison but appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our service.