“Amazing views and drive - but not for the faint hearted”
Review of Gorges de Galamus

Gorges de Galamus
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have always resisted having or using a Sat Nav, as being a "Control Freak" I prefer to be in charge of my route. However, having recently purchased a new car with Sat Nav ready fitted to the vehicle - I have been provided with the opportunity to toe the technology line. My wife and I had driven from our home in Scotland, through England to France. We had been using the auto routes and were well ahead of schedule and so in Montauban I decided to test the Sat Nav by requesting the shortest route through the Pyrenees into Spain. We followed many narrow and winding roads and travelled through lots of interesting French rural villages BUT nothing prepared us for the D7 and D10 which took us to the Gorges de Galamos! The 2 or 3 kilometres on the cliff side road with the relatively low stone wall, the overhanging rock "roof" and the steep deep drop was at once stimulating, testing and thrilling (did I mention frightening?). The prospect of meeting a vehicle travelling in the opposite direction, the absence of passing places (and the fact of driving a brand new car) certainly increased my heart rate - but what a wonderful experience. Fortunately, we were able to pass through without incident but I would have hated to have been directed by Sat Nav whilst towing a caravan or driving a mobile home. I would love to return (armed with camera and more time) but I would walk or cycle rather than drive. I think my previous opinions about Satnav were correct - but I am grateful to it for taking us to this unexpected and beautiful location.

2  Thank Big_Bike_Buddy
"opportunities"
"chapel"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Even if driving trough the Gorges may be an interesting experience, we were suggested to leave the car in the parking lot at the entrance and walk. I think it was a good advice as we could both enjoy the amazing view :)

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Came across this Gorge by accident. Just out for a drive round after arrivin in nearby Quillan the day before. We drove down the gorge which is far the best way to do it but in a rhd car not for the faint hearted. Very steep drops and i do mean steep with only a 3ft wall to save you. Would hate to do this in season as it is traffic light controlled and would become a procession. Much better ot knowing what was approaching round the bend!!! The gorge has a 2 mtr width limit and a 2.7 mtr height limit so motorhomes(camping vans a la France lol) can't go through. The drive to and from it is pretty amazing too

3  Thank Phil S
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We rode our bikes through the gorge which is a great way to see it as the road is narrow and being in a car wouldn't allow your attention to be on the view. Or hike it. You need time to look over the barrier and take it all in. An amazingly beautiful spot.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The beauty or scariness of this place is in the eyes of beholders of course ! But majority of people will find the experience truly wonderful. We went past Bugarech ( where was supposed to be saved fron the End of The World at 121212 but never happened) and just thinking what were all the hype about that Mountain and suddenly hit by this Road! Since we were travelling morning time the traffic lights were not operating yet and that is it ,a vehicle comes face to face and one dares to squeeze pass without a perspiration somewhere on his/her body! Couple of times I took my eyes of the road momentarily and looked down the side, since my car is right hand drive (British), I felt as though I was on the edge of the Planert and sensed tinkling in my feet, feleling that was echoed by my 7 year old son too!
We all had a pair of trainers in the car except guess whom ?( no point for answering the wife!) yes she didn't bring hers so we were deprived of walking down the bottom as one said previously would have been a nice experience not to mention that weather was beautiful on that day.
So we left much to delight of my son vowing never to return which has changed since for the sake of thrill seeking! Soon enough got to the village of Saint Paul de Fenouillet which is delightful village for chilling out after visiting the Gorges and a must visit to the busy bakery and buy famous local biscuits as well as tasty bread. I will say was worth the trip definitely .

1  Thank Gardesh76