“Short stay.”
Review of The Griffin Inn

The Griffin Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Fletching B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at the Griffin overnight. The rooms are comfortable with four poster beds and "antique style" fittings. The bar staff are friendly and the beer is kept to a high standard. The service in the restaurant was equally good as was the quality of food, although my pregnant wife found her options limited. The service and quality was once again up to scratch at breakfast. A very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have heard many tales of The Griffin Inn from friends who have visited and I can honestly say I've only heard wonderful things. I was so intrigued, I couldn't resist hunting it down and seeing what the hype was about for myself.
It was a bright winters afternoon when I arrived, and before I had even stepped through the door, my breath was stolen by the sensational view which was shining through the garden. As I entered, I immediately felt a warmth and atmosphere that is quite frankly hard to come by. The fire was burning, faces were smiling, people were tucking into succulent looking meals and I just couldn't wait to indulge.
I was then greeted by a delightful young lady who checked me into my room and was very attentive in making sure everything was in order. My room, the 'Thubron' was delightful, a four poster bed and large bathroom were more than I could have asked for! I freshened up and came down to the bar as service was opening for evening food, I got myself a pint of Harveys the local ale and ordered myself some food from the menu which was bulging with great sounding food. I had been served by who I presume was the bar manager who was upbeat and extremely friendly, he explained the history of the pub and made us aware of some interesting local attractions. The meal was as I had hoped, beautifully presented and had the taste to match. Compliments to the chef. As the plates were cleared by the charming waitresses, a local young man began to play the piano which was great. I finished the evening by chatting to some lovely local chaps, had several more pints of Harveys and retired to bed.
I can't recommend this place any higher, anyone looking for a country escape, look no further.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank jad7530
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Took the family to The Griffin pub in Fletching. We had lunch in their restaurant. £30 for a set three course lunch plus service charge. Nice cosy atmosphere in the restaurant and the staff were friendly and helpful. What my wife and I did like is that they served Childrens portions and the service was prompt. Nothing like having two starving children waiting for an absolute age for the food to be served. Shortly after ordering, our childrens main course arrived with our starters which really worked out well. We had Venison and fish which was rather nice. It wasn't posh nosh, just good honest cuisine, which we were happy with. There seemed to be a lot of people dining in the bar area, so perhaps if we are down that way again, we might give that a try. All in all, it was quite pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Delicious menu. Well informed, seasonal cooking including traditional game pies and locally sourced fish and chips. I ate the best steak of my life. Great atmosphere with log fires and lovely staff.
Found it tricky to find as no sign on the main road.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We had our wedding reception at the griffin inn and all guests had a really good time.
The food was fantastic and the local wine was outstanding.
But the volume of their food is averagely quite big so make sure you don't order too much food in one go when you go there.
(I felt so guilty when the staff took away the juicy roast lamb main which I could only finish half...)
The only one problem is there're too many giant fries flying around in the main restaurant on the hot summer day which is quite unpleasant for dinning (especially for a wedding reception).
I'd like to point out the hospitality of most staff, but since this is a very popular restaurant, they're often too busy to satisfy every guest's request. Therefore I'll recommend people to go there during the week or brunch time on the weekend.

Finally, the accommodation is definitely above the standard.
The luxurious 4 poster bed and the comfy bedding that allowed us to have a good rest after a long day of wedding. We'd love to go back again and again with families and friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank potatomama
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Ate at the Griffin Inn at Saturday lunchtime prior to visiting Sheffield Park Gardens. We did not book and perhaps we should have done as they were expecting a wedding party soon after we arrived. Nevertheless they welcomed us and fitted us in. The old 16th Century Inn was fairly dark and split into small rooms, as you might expect, and delightful. The staff were busy of course and I found it worthwhile getting up to order at the further bar rather than wait (or shout). The food was warm and excellent and we were not hassled at all despite the "rush" and we received. It was no problem getting attention as long as you used common sense.

Griffin Inn is very convenient for combining with a visit to Sheffield Park Gardens (for Autumn colour) as the drive is only 5-10 minutes by car. You might even be able to walk between them along the private road that leads around the south side of Sheffield Park although we did not try it in the rain.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I simply and truly love this place! If you are looking for an affable ambiance, exceptionally good food and a more personal touch to customer service look no further. The staff are pleasant, responsive and lively. There is a large rear garden with magnificent views where a full charcoal BBQ menu is served in spring and summer months. The menu is haute cuisine often a mish-mash of European, Mediterranean and far Eastern tastes. I've rarely been disappointed! The place, naturally, gets quite busy on a Saturday and Sunday lunchtime and service may be a little slow. Ask for the delicious homemade bread and olive oil whilst you’re waiting if you are ravenous!
The rooms are a good antidote to chain hotels- they have romantic interiors and are well manicured. The rustic style is pleasingly elegant and attuned to the local area making this place a great destination for a weekend break. On a slightly practical note, you may want to make sure that you don’t have much luggage as some of the rooms are quiet small in size however should you require more room, consider specifying when booking. I particularly love THUBRON room in the Griffin House with its four poster bed wrapped stylishly in chiffon silk- I certainly recommend this room for a romantic break!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fletching
Buxted Park Hotel
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted
Chequers Inn
Chequers Inn
#1 of 1 in Maresfield

Been to The Griffin Inn? Share your experiences!