“Friendly service- great food” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Griffin Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Fletching B&B and Inns
Eastbourne
“Friendly service- great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I regularly visit the Griffin for lunch in either the restaurant or the bar and have always received excellent service combined with delicious food. I visited recently and chose the razor clams for starter which were mouth-wateringly superb. My main course of sea bass was equally good. It was a beautiful sunny day and so it made lunch a lovely experience, as myself and my guest sat on the terrace enjoying the surroundings. A stroll in the garden after to stretch our legs delivered not only the fabulous view, but also an outside bar for the summer. Great stuff!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Elaine R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Lewes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I had dinner there on a Saturday night in May 2014 - we probably eat there 3 to 4 times a year with it being one of the best, closest restaurants to us. The food and service was perfect as always - food was excellent and the service very attentive and polite. The menu never fails to satisfy to the extent that I struggle to pick between the good dishes. Other recent diners with less than perfect experiences must have been unlucky but I we always eat in the restaurant rather than the bar which may be better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PSE57
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Been going to The Griffin for many years and have stayed several times. While catching up on my reviews, I thought I would do one for the The Griffin. I usually go on weekends as it is 45 mins on the train and then a quick train ride from Haywards Heath. The rooms are well appointed and the bar always welcoming. The restaurant offers great food at affordable prices. So much so I hired the private dining room for my mother's 60th and my stag do (two separate evebts) . Both demographics thoroughly enjoyed their stay at the Griffin, which is praise indeed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Dominic M
Enfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We have been using the Griffin Inn for many years, and have always thoroughly enjoyed our stays, always looking forward to the next time, but, unfortunately, this was not the case on our last visit!

We visited the Griffin Inn last Saturday (10 May 2014), but only for lunch, as we were actually staying in Brighton for the weekend. On arrival, it was apparent that the bar and seating area were very busy, but we were lucky enough to find a table for 4. After looking through the menu (which, by the way, seems to be the same menu from our last visit some 18 months ago), we placed our order at the bar. Shortly after placing our order, another 4 people sat on the table next to us. Not only did they have their order taken by one of the waitresses from the comfort of their table, but within 15 minutes, they received their order! After, what seemed like an eternity (we had already received the bread and olives that we had ordered fairly quickly), I asked the waitress if there was a problem with our main order. She then went off to find out what was going on. By the time we actually received our food, the people on the other table had eaten their lunch and had left! I think we probably waited at least 45 minutes, which I feel is unacceptable. My friend and I had both ordered the Crab Linguine. Unfortunately, the amount of garlic used in this dish was immense, and masked any other flavour in the dish, so much so that we couldn't actually eat it. Admittedly, after complaining to the Bar/Restaurant Manager (well, I think that's what he was), both dishes were removed from our bill. On a more positive note, our partners' lunches were very nice (one had pork belly, the other had the steak).

I think that unfortunately, the Griffin Inn have become victims of their own success. We were really disappointed, as over the years, this has always been one of our favourite places to stay, but after our disastrous lunch on Saturday, and reading some of the recent reviews, we would think twice about visiting again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Plumbobs
Hornchurch Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed at the Griffin inn with my Wife, Sister and Brother -in-law, my Sister had booked it as part of my "Special Birthday" present along with a meal on the Bluebell railway (only 10 minutes away in a Taxi).
On arrival we were shown to our rooms, both of the rooms were cosy, tastefully decorated and exceptionally clean, the Bed was extremely comfortable. We had a drink in the lovely Gardens prior to going on to the Bluebell Railway for dinner, When we arrived back around 11.45pm we had a nightcap in the bar. After a good nights sleep (very quiet village), we had a very pleasant breakfast all freshly cooked using local produce.

Nice Rooms, Nice people and a good night sleep finished off with a great breakfast!, we would definitely recommend the Griffin inn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

had a fantastic time here last weekend i came with a large part of 13 and they were amazing, food excellent, the staff could not have been more helpful and professional and even when i managed to under pay by £100 they were very charming about it and were real cool! and i have to point out that the Pullens were not in attendance and it did not seem to make a jot of difference except a little quieter perhaps!
Thanks

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kent B
Wadhurst, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have been visiting the Griffin since I was a young boy, and have been consistently satisfied with the food, service and atmosphere. Today however it became apparent that in the absence of the Pullen family 'when the cat's away the mice will play'. In this I refer to the extremely unsatisfactory behaviour and practises of the staff.

Not only did we have to wait 1h45 for our food to arrive, but when it did it was truly unpalatable.(e.g. a caesar salad with no leaves)
Unhelpful staff - had to go to the bar to order food rather than a waiter taking orders
Staff eating/drinking/smoking/horrid language next to our table whilst we were still waiting for food.
Seriously bad value for money and truly disappointing. Luckily this wasn't my first visit; or I wouldn't be returning

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank An0nym0u51234567890
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fletching
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Buxted Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Uckfield
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,373 reviews
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa

Been to The Griffin Inn? Share your experiences!