“Getaway from Chapel Farm is what we did”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middle Swan
Chapel Farm Getaways
Ranked #1 of 1 Middle Swan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This place does serve a good breakfast to your unit in the morning at 930am, so it would be good for those who have had a big night. If that is your reason for going there, read no further.

Booked for 3 days, left after the first night. We had the Bali Room. (The door looks a bit Balinese). This is a long, dim, windowless space with a faint but recurrently noted mouldy smell. Partly divided off is a smallish front entry area with a coffee table thing and a daybed of odd, uncomfortable size. The bathroom is disproportionately large by comparison, and contains just a shower stall and extra space but no bath.

Theoretically, in warm (not hot or cold) weather, you could open the front doors onto a slabbed area which has a little cafe table and chairs, and sit out there. Would be good for smokers, say.

But on our weekend, they were repaving the carpark, which is 4 metres away from the cafe table right though a reed-stick fence. (Forget the fence, acoustically you are IN the carpark with the loud grinding machines.)

But with the front door shut that was ignorable. And, realistically, it is right on the start of Toodyay Road, a highway, and over the road is a petrol station. So one can hardly expect this to be like a farm setting ( though it is called Chapel Farm Getaways). So this was not the stopper.

What made us pack up and go was the bed. Large, but the hard, sprung kind of mattress and on my side the mattress was collapsed, falling away in a slope to become flush with the wood bed frame, about 20mm drop over 800mm. Like an elephant had been sitting on it far too often.

There is no evening meal service other booze-promoting snacks (tapas, Pizza all done by 8 or 8.30pm), and the name of this 'restaurant' is The Tap.

So, it is my recommendation that this room/ place would be suitable for those who like to indulge the point where physical discomfort no longer matters.

It had better work, because there is no one around to communicate with. No night manager that I could find. And still not there at 10AM, so we asked the kitchen-hand to ask her to refund the rest of the money. This they did.

Room Tip: Not the Bali Room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TImBukTeef

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Chapel Farm for 10 days as it's located close to my sister who we were visiting for her wedding.

For the first 7 nights we stayed in the Australia room which we really liked, albeit with a few odd things - a wardrobe with no hangers, no information about Wi-Fi or anything else. We had no idea the bar/restaurant next door only opens at weekends until my sister told us. Breakfast was delivered to our room each morning with a glass of orange juice. Darren, the owner, cooked it and made a real effort to try and cater for me as a I have a wheat/dairy allergy. I thought I would be palmed off with a bowl of fruit but he found special bread and served this with mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado and bacon each day.

We ate at The Tap on our 7th night and were impressed with the tapas portions and the wine on offer. Despite the fact it was chilly we sat outside and had a heater pulled over for us. It was just a shame we couldn't have gone there a few more evenings.

For our last 3 nights Darren generously offered to move us to the 'Love Shack' a 3 bed self contained unit so we could have more space. This was much more tired than the Australia room but gave us more room and a view of the lake outside complete with donkey and Lama for company!

Chapel Farm is not your ultra modern hotel facility, but it feels authentic and we enjoyed it. My only gripe would be that it is the first accommodation I have ever stayed in where the room isn't regularly serviced and we had to keep asking for clean towels, cups etc. I could understand this when we moved to the Love Shack as it was a self contained unit, but for a standard room would have expected this as the norm.

Overall a pleasant stay and somewhere we would return to again.

Room Tip: You can choose from different style of rooms from 'Bali' to 'Australia' check out th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014

A goup of 6 of us stayed at Chapel Farm last weekend the 7/8th June and we had such a great time that we will definately be going back. The Unit that slept 6 of us was big and very roomy we were all very impressed with how spacious it was. We also went next door to the Tap Brewery
and that too was a great experience. It is a lovely spot with log fires in Winter, where we had our own room and I must say that the service was very good with our food arriving very quickly and all the food was very nice, there was not one complaint from the 8 of us in regards to the service or the food. We have decided that we will definately be making a trip back to Chapel Farm and the Tap Brewery as it is very good value for money.

Room Tip: The last Unit that sleeps 6-7 is very spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We had several rooms as we were on a girls trip away. The rooms were fine although they need some TLC to bring them up to their full potential such as large fluffy towels, not the sad worn, small ones they have. Driving in there is a lot of old furniture, wood etc on the left hand side that doesn't great a great impression and it the start of the unkempt nature of the accommodation area. No one was at the accommodation office, so rang a bell - nothing - went to the restaurant on site - nobody - went to the tap bar and found someone who could give me the key to my room. I am a local so I dread to think what sort of impression this would create for a visitor from elsewhere. The African Safari room has a musty damp smell to it. The king size bed mattress was thin and hard and the pillows so flat and lifeless - I did not have a good nights sleep at all. There are no windows so the only light i through the small panels in the double doors to the room. This may bother some people if they get a bit claustrophobic. Noise is an issue - a very busy road, a Caltex over the road, trains throughout the night that sound a horn and vibrate the room, plus airplanes overhead at certain times. Pool was 'closed due to maintenance' but we went and had a look and it seemed fine to us. Disappointing as it was hot and I was looking forward to a swim.

Pros
Located near The Tap bar which offers good value food and service, lovely beer garden BUT wear insect repellant as mossies can be very bad.
The different themed rooms

Cons
You are not made to feel special if using the accommodation
The magic of the themed rooms is not carried through on all aspects
Mossies can be bad
Unkempt look and feel to the whole place
Noise is noticeable - planes trains and automobiles
Swimming pool seems to be permanently out of order

Room Tip: The Bail retreat is closest to the pool
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank J N
Reviewed 9 January 2014

You know what, the setting is gorgeous. An old house with a fantastic, huge tree in the yard and a great vertical herb garden as you walk through the arch gate. The day was hot and the verandah and inside of the house were the sort of cool you expect from a place like that. We had tapas as lunch, sitting at a table out the back under some big trees. It was just lovely. The tapas was pretty good, very pricey though, but the quality was there. I was a bit unsure about the area, I thought I was being taken to somewhere called the Swan Valley, and I thought it would be more...river-valley-like. But no matter, I believe that wasn't too far away. Overall, I'm glad to have eaten there, next time I might try one of the wineries around the place.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed for one night in the African Room. The rooms all have different themes and are located at the front of the property. The room was nicely appointed in the African theme. We did not have a problem with road or rail noise, however the fridge was very noisy and woke us up when the motor clicked on every hour. Don't expect 5 star luxury as the room does not have a bath and the TV does not receive HD channels. Unfortunately the outdoor pool and spa area was closed for maintenance (or possibly winter). We ate dinner at the Tap Bar. The tapas and pizza menu was limited but we had a big lunch so it was not a problem. The chocolate pudding was delicious. There is an extensive wine and beer menu. We would like to try the bar again for a weekend lunch in warmer weather. The breakfast served outside the room was fabulous. Scrambled eggs, bacon, grilled tomato, mushrooms and crusty bread served with orange juice.
It was nice to stay overnight in the valley and make the trip into a weekend.

Room Tip: View the website and choose the theme that suits you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PerthWA_Sandgroper
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my partner in January 2013, as a weekend break. We stayed in the Bali themed room and we were very happy with it. Very comfortable day bed as you entered the apartment and the bedroom was well equipped with a tv, fridge and ensuite bathroom. Breakfast was served outside the apartment in the beautiful morning sun.

There's a swimming pool for guest use which was pleasant and the bar/restaurant are definitely worh a look. Situated ideally beside two wineries, making it a great spot for wine tasting.

Would recommend and happily stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
#1 of 4 in Guildford
Midland Tourist Park
Midland Tourist Park
#1 of 1 in Middle Swan

Been to Chapel Farm Getaways? Share your experiences!