“Don't order the Prawn salad”
Review of The Grape Escape

The Grape Escape
Ranked #2 of 42 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Don't order the Prawn salad”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have been visitng this restaurant since it opened 14 years ago as a frequent visitor to Nelson.Last week I ordered the 'succulent prawn salad'. The prawns were soggy defrosted small prawns with a bit of lettuce and a tasteless dressing. 3/4 of the prawns had the black vein still in the prawns. I find this unacceptable, I do not want to eat this black vein and left most of my lunch. I mentioned it to the staff and to their credit I was offered a coffee, wine or dessert, none of which I wanted. When I was paying and was asked if I enjoyed my meal I again mentioned my disappointment. She spoke to the chef who said 'they had sold at least 6 that day and had had no complaints'. I was not looking for a refund but am not happy with the chefs attitude, and I will not be returning.

• Visited December 2013

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A quiet haven”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

It was a dull, wet, miserable day, but the welcoming staff, cosy atmosphere and a beautifully presented delicious meal soon raised our spirits. In close proximity to Hogland Glass and Eyebright; both must not miss visits !!

• Visited May 2013
Rai Valley, New Zealand
“Ladies Lunch”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Lunch at the Grape escape with a group of ladies thoroughly enjoyable.. Set in among a Lovely Garden setting.. The Staff were friendly and efficient. The food was delicious. I had the Chicken Ciabatta absolutely yummy would definitely go back there.

• Visited July 2013
Takaka, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Possibly the worst coffee I have had in a long time!”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Must have been a bad day for the staff. My wife and I called in for a latte and desert. I think the lady making the coffee must be totally untrained. No decoration on top and a definite brown scum around the edge of the cup should have warned us of what to expect. Please clean out your machine overnight and train you staff. Desert was expensive and quite ordinary.

• Visited June 2013
Nelson, New Zealand
“Eating at the Grape Escape, Richmond, Nelson”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We found the food here very average. We had to wait a while for the meal. They have a nice place to sit on a porch which is enclosed with a plastic cover. The staff were very friendly and very helpful so would probably go again if someone asked us to.

Visited June 2012