“Better quality food and administration needed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sugi Island
Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sugi Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Better quality food and administration needed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed at Telunas Private Island for 3 days 2 nights from Saturday to Monday. Was looking forward to a relaxing trip and for most parts it was. More on that later.

THE GOOD

Villa was extremely spacious and had an amazing view of the ocean. Bathroom amenities were complete although we did run out of conditioner on our last day. Ground staff are always aiming to please and even prepared a birthday cake for my fiancee when they saw that it was her birthday on her passport. That was a nice gesture.

The Resort also seemed to have solved the mosquitoes problem that plagued the previous guests so credit to them. The odd bite here and there is inevitable.

Massage was top class and highly recommended. Go for the 90 minutes massage if you will. Book early to secure your timing.

THE BAD

The quality of the food was really lacking. The Western Breakfasts consists of canned champignon mushrooms, eggs, sausage franks (likely frozen), canned baked beans,half a tomato and a hashbrown. Whilst I have no problem with a resort serving canned and frozen food, the price of $85 per person per day is excessive considering the food served.

Their Thai Seafood paella I had for dinner was mainly risotto rice cooked in tomato ketchup, chilli sauce and drizzled with olive oil. Basically Mee Goreng taste. The saving grace of the dish were the prawns on it.

While all these I am still willing to accept, the one thing I cannot accept was being served leftover food. I ordered the Nasi Uduk with fried chicken for breakfast on my last day. Imagine my dismay when the chicken I had was actually left over chicken which has been re-fried. The kitchen or management might deny it but I know a left over re-fried chicken when I see and taste one. It was dry, tough and was black on the sides (which they tried to hide by facing it down when serving the dish to us).

I don't know if there were left over fried chicken from the day before but at no point in time should the resort have served left over food especially at the price charged.

I did not pay SGD 340 for 2 people for 2 day's worth of canned and leftover food. It also seems that the chef was only able to dish up decent local food. At least that was what me and my fiancee thought during our 3 days there.

It also seems that not all the Villas are done. Therefore in the afternoon, you'll have to deal with the odd hammering and drilling noises until the construction is complete.

THE UGLY

This had less to do with the staff down at the resort and more on the administrative side. I booked my resort stay sometime in early June and everything was confirmed including my Batam Fast ferry trip timing. Up till this point the staff were very accommodating in answering my questions.

However 1 week before my stay, I emailed Lilis regarding an enquiry I had and she turned around to tell me that I had to change my Batam Fast ferry timing and had to leave the island ealier than scheduled. If I wanted to leave at the later timing, I would be charged SGD 25 per person for it.

Naturally I was annoyed at this last minute change and if I hadn't emailed Lilis regarding my enquiry, when would they have informed me of this change? So I had to change my Batam Fast ferry timing and subsequently emailed Lilis of the change in timing. I also told her to "please arrange a late checkout for us in this case"

Imagine my horror when on our last night, the ground staff came over and told me that whilst I had a late departure, there wasn't any late check out arranged for me. I also had to check out at 11am because there was another booking arranged for my Villa the next day.

Naturally I told them what's the point of me having a late departure if I didn't get the late checkout too? I would have arranged for the earlier departure instead. Besides, I specifically requested for a late checkout in my email.

The ground staff said because I haven't paid for the late checkout earlier so I am not entitled to it. Well Lilis did not charge me for it and with the resort's confusing payment system where half is charged beforehand and the other half later, I would naturally assume that my late checkout would be charged when I check out. I have no idea why they needed to charge the food costs at checkout when it is a fixed price.

Hence my last night on the island was spent wondering if I needed to check out early. I came here to relax and yet I was made to worry more.

Up until breakfast the next morning, the ground staff was still trying to make us check out at 11am even when it was the management or administration that screwed up. They then relented and said ok we can have a late check out but we have to move our stuff to another Villa. I mean this is ridiculous! If you have an empty villa, why can't you put the new guys in that empty villa instead of asking us to move? Especially when it's not our fault and I'm still paying for the late check out.

Eventually they allowed us a late check out but we would have been bullied out of our villa if I didn't stand firm initially. Then there was this trouble with them charging me for the food and massage together and then later said they had to charge them separately for tax purposes and re-charged me again. I lost count of the number of charge and uncharge slips I signed and will have to check my credit card statement carefully.

It's a shame because this was a nice villa in an excellent location. They just couldn't run it properly. It started off at the top but ended at the bottom for us.

Room Tip: Most rooms should be similar but choose a villa at the further end if you prefer it to be quiet. Rem...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Cloud2609
Dave S, Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Could2609,
What can I say? Telunas (around for 10 years) has never received a 2-star review before -- but if I were in your shoes (i.e., loved the resort but hated the confusing communication and apparent inflexibility of the staff), I too would have been tempted to do the same. As the reservations team ultimately reports to me, I take responsibility for the missteps of my staff and sincerely apologize that we failed to serve you well - we at Telunas value the local villages, out staff, and our guests, and are deeply saddened when any feel disrespected or ill-served.

Please know that our leadership team is activating a number of solutions, including the following:
* Guest communications - We’ve created a new communication workstream and will also adjust our team so people can work more in line with their natural strengths. Your being notified so late is unacceptable, and our reservations/on-site team communication gap will be plugged. Lilis is great at what she does and I’m sure that the new members of our team will be up to speed shortly
* Food perception - Although Telunas simply does not serve leftover food, we’ll be meeting with our chief chef to discern how to avoid even the possibility of this perception. We also recognize that we all have different palates and so will seek to continue serving the dishes we’ve gotten raving reviews about (http://thefootlooserat.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/babymoon%E2%98%BE-part-2-sugi-island/)
* Feeling bullied - No one who interacts with us should ever feel treated this way. From my inquiry, I believe that our staff lost sight of the forest for the trees - i.e., their concern for specifics (e.g., housekeeping needing to prepare for the next arriving guests) limited creativity. While we will continue to train and empower our staff, this should never come at the expense of our guests. We will this week remind everyone that knowing when to elevate ambiguous situations to leadership is also an essential and valuable skill.

Given your experience, it may be unlikely that you’ll be visiting us at Telunas again. Nonetheless, if the beauty of the location, the holistic, unplugged culture, and the simple genuine hospitality of our staff stirs a desire to return again, please feel free to mention my name in your booking notes as I’d like to express our appreciation for your giving us another chance.

Dave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Had a 4 days 3 nights getaway and it was nothing short of beautiful. The staff were very welcoming and were always polite. I had a sprained ankle prior to the trip and the staff were kind in accommodating my slower movements up and down the boat. The room was clean and well ventilated. What I particularly liked was how guests could get away from the bustle in the city, and retreat to a completely no wifi or social media zone - that's what I call a real getaway. My partner and I absentmindedly left our passports at the resort and only remembered when we were about 3 minutes on the boat away. The kind staff delivered our passports to us on a boat and we were absolutely grateful for their kind gesture. Will gladly introduce this place to friends.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dave S, Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
"Had a 4 days 3 nights getaway and it was nothing short of beautiful..."

Dear F_Blythe,
We're so glad you and your partner were able to truly getaway -- not just physically but mentally and emotionally as well. You review reminds me of how I used to feed off the energy of NYC but then would need to experience something amazingly breathtaking (e.g., like the vastness of the deep ocean or an astoundingly beautiful sunset) to help me stay balanced and regain perspective. It's so awesome that Telunas was able to be that place for you.

Our team sends their thanks for the privilege of hosting you. If we can ever help with anything, please don't hesitate to reach out. Our hope is that Telunas will continue to be a small positive part of your and your loved ones' stories in the months and years ahead.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Me and my partner stayed at the new Telunas island. Everything is amazing as Telunas Beach but with better quality. I still love the way his staff served us. It's an adventure that promises to come back.

The promising to go back:
1 Staff were really friendly (Mada, Ien, and other staff)
2 The food is really delicious (but lacking a lot for us)
3 Swimming is "enough" for our relief.
4 rooms are quite large and very decent for habitation.

That needed to be fixed:
1 The number of mosquitoes in our room.
2 Some coastal areas are attracted by the current.
3 The absence of alcoholic beverages other than they sell in the refrigerator.
4 The quality of light in the dining room is very dim, making it difficult for us to see

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Mathew_Luthem
Dave S, Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Raja_Matpha,

Thanks for your positive review and its great to hear that you may be back again! Opening up the new Private Island this July has been exhilarating - the new memories we can help create are amazing and we are also learning tons as we go. Perhaps I can share a few of those learnings in light of your helpful suggestions?

* Lighting - I’m going to check it out this weekend. We’ve tried to strike the right balance between aesthetics and functionality but know we don’t always quite hit it

* Private Island mini-bar – we’re embarrassed but our solution should be in place by Sept; we started the Private Island with a standard mini-bar but, in mid-July, learned of an additional tax we have to work through before we can sell non-beer alcohol drinks

* Mosquitoes - we’ve just this week put together a “Plan B” for when our mosquito treatment vendor doesn’t make it out when scheduled; this is new to us as mosquitoes (even without any treatments) haven’t been a real issue at Telunas Beach for 10 years

Know that we appreciate your patience as we make our way up the learning curve with our new property. If there are any other things we can do to make Telunas (either the Private Island or Beach Resort) more restful for you, please don’t hesitate to let us know at stay@.

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights at Telunas and it was exactly what we imagine it to be when we first booked. Away from all the busy and hectic sound of a city, the resort provide you with a calm and quietness. A serenity of ocean waves. This Eco-styled resort is a nice change of scenery from someone that lives in the big city (no AC, TV, etc). With a super friendly and helpful staff, it made this trip very enjoyable. The private chalet that we stayed in provide us with a rustic atmosphere, its simple and clean. Food was provided, everything is home made. Taste-wise, it was OK! All we did was chill by the beach, read books, drank cold beer, enjoy the sun, and repeat. Overall it was an awesome vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

A serene getaway? That is music to our ears. Thanks for flying over from Jakarta! We’re delighted to be an intimate refuge for folks from Jakarta, Australia, Germany, France, Norway, Bangladesh...from all over, as well as our many amazing neighbors in nearby Singapore.

Have a great week and know that you and your family are always welcome at Telunas.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We travelled with two small children from Singapore after being recommended to try the resort from countless people.

The weather was not great on our day of travel, with the sea very choppy, rain and We're new to Asia so not used to the water busses but it was pretty full by the time we boarded and we were shoe horned into the back and separated because of lack of space. Our children are young and the some people had babies. It would of helped if staff had boarded young children and families first. The ride was hard because of the weather and not as romantic as other posts have suggested. However, the return journey with calmer weather and fewer passangers was much better. I've since learnt I could of booked a private boat. I would consider this. It's not a cost effective option for Telunas so is priced at $85 per person, including over 4's. It's therefore costly so next time id explore spending more for a more comfortable ride?!?

The resort is beautiful. You certainly feel special having the island to yourselves, and the few other residents. The rooms are spacious, nicely decorated and the wonderful breeze off the sea, accompanied by ceiling fans means there's no need for aircon.

Telunas doesn't pretend to be anything else other than what it says on it's website. We came prepared for no wifi, telephone and just quality family time, which I think is the essence of this resort...time together! Keep an eye on their website for details regarding alcohol, snacks etc...we brought our own following current advice but this may change as the resort develops.

This is a holiday you can make the most of as much as you want. You can partake in social activities, do varrying water sports etc or just laze by the pool watching the most amazing sunsets.

We never went hungry, and the food presentation is gorgeous and tropical personified. As a westerner, new to Asia I tried to be adventurous and opt for the local choice on the menu. It was a bit hit and miss for me. We were there for 4 days and I did think the food was a little repetitive and at times not of the greatest quality. What I would say is that the staff were receptive to this feedback onsite and I feel they are committed to improving this aspect.

This is a resort that takes the success of the beach resort and turns the dial up a bit with added luxuries. There are some aspects that require fine tuning but the staff have a passion for this place and I'm sure the minor points will be ironed out.

Suggestions?
Maybe a BBQ
Firepit
Telunas bucket and spade that we could pay for for kids.
Child size Telunas tshirts. I bought one for me but the kids couldn't get one small enough (age 5&6)

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Lkcroker
Yes! It’s great to hear of the quality time you were all able to enjoy together (away from life’s many distractions) and I’m so glad your family felt like you had the island to yourselves. We’ve found that most agree with you that the ceiling fans are cool enough, and I too love the interior decorating Carly and others did in the Sea Villas. As we’ve only built 15, hopefully the Private Island will always feel restful, uncrowded, and liberating.

Thanks for the small, practical changes you’ve suggested as well. We at Telunas know we’ve a ton to learn and appreciate receiving actionable feedback so we can ever keep improving all we’ve been entrusted with. In good accountable fashion, I wanted to get back to you with some of our staff’s current thoughts:

* Firepit for our Private Island: you got it! It will be done this week (Nathan emailed me yesterday)
* Child sized Telunas tee-shirts (age 5 & 6): I was just told that a new shipment of children sizes (in red-and-white; yellow-and-white) arrived in Batam today; perhaps I could drop/mail one next Sat as I’ll happen to be in SG? If so, please just email Lilis or Elsa at stay@
* BBQ: perhaps in the future? due to the potential redundancy with our BBQs held at Telunas Beach
* Telunas bucket and spade: another great future possibility; if we make “Telunas” branded toys, you can know the idea was your’s :)

Also, while you didn’t specifically underline it as a suggestion, please know we’re revisited the number of pancungs (traditional Malay boats) we send out to pick up guests on busy days and will be reminding our newer staff of the special travel needs of those with young children (i.e., boarding first isn’t a big thing to ask for at all).

Thanks again for entrusting us with a few of your family’s vacation days. We consider it a privilege and hope the rest and refreshment of Telunas stays with you for many days in the weeks ahead.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just came back from a lovely 4 night stay at Telunas. One night was at the older resort and the other 3 nights where at the new private resort. It's a beautiful place not to far from Singapore and we will definitely go back especially to the Private side.

Unfortunately our wait at batam was an hour long as one of the passengers had some kind of issues so it meant we all had to wait. I recommend sitting close to the exit doors of the ferry from Singapore to Batam so you can quickly go and get your Visa's and clear immigration.

The boat ride from Singapore to batam was about an hour and the telunas boat transfer (note it's smaller but they do provide life jackets) was about 1.5 hours, for a small boat it was quite an uncomfortable 1,5 hrs, i recommend sitting up the front as it is not so noisy as sitting at the back, you may be sprayed a little but this is still better that the sound of the motor. Insist on life jackets for your children as they are available but won't be offered. The boat ride is not the highlight by any means, could be improved by faster/quieter/newer boats.

We stayed on the beach side for one night and then moved onto the private island so I have mentioned both below.

Feedback On Beachside:

Beach side. They are currently building lots of new rooms so If you rather a new room do ask if these are ready yet.

Food at the beach side. Was a little disappointing we expected more local food and on our first night had western style food. Although on arrival we had some local dishes. These where quite bland. It's a real shame as there is so much potential to do better and offer the local dishes.

Rooms at the beach side. No air con but doesn't need it. Kids had own little area with bunk beds. But the top bunk has no rail. So both of our kids had to slept together which was ok. They had two fans facing them and we had one above main bed. Bedroom was ok very rustic it had some ants so if you have any snacks. Make sure you put the bag up high. Bathroom is basic but clean. The roof of the rooms are open from the outside which lets the air circulate and you can the lovely water below. But at night you can birds bats and anything else fluttering around.

Our room was quite far from the breakfast area. So if you want to be close to the breakfast area do request this. But on the other hand closer to the beach.

Staff are all lovely. Most of them so not speak English. But there are a couple that do and there was no problem in communication.

There are a couple activities to do whilst there. We took the kids low ropes which the children loved. Others that where on offer was the village tour, hiking, fishing from the jetty, etx note you will have to dress appropriately if you do the village tour. Cover shoulders knees etx.

There is a very small shop you can buy some snacks. But I recommend bringing your own. Especially for the kids. Breakfast is at 7-830 lunch at 12 and dinner at 6. Please also note the time difference. They are one hour behind Singapore.

Bring beach towels with you. And any toiletries you need as this island doesn't provide them.

Note for both islands No keys for rooms no safes

Private Island:

Private side is so nice because it's so new. Room are much bigger. And it has a nice big balcony. Kids can sleep upstairs in the room area. (this is For bigger kids as there is a ladder leading up to the room at the top)
There is a Seperate living area which is great. Water dispenser for hot and cold water. Shampoo and conditioner and body wash is provided. And beach towels are provided.

There is No ac but not really needed it's very breezy and the fans are adequate, but a mosquito net would have been useful as we all got bitten at night.

The Sunset is amazing at the private island. We couldn't see it at the beach side as it was slightly on a curve.

The food is much much better ( I was very surprised to read a previous review that the food wasn't that nice). It's not buffet style there is an option to choose from everyday for breakfast and dinner, lunch is set. And times are a little more flexible. There is always a fruit bowl out and a couple of snacks but I would still advise to bring snacks along for the kids.

There are drinks available but the staff do not make it clear of what exactly is available e.g.Alcoholic drinks? Non-alcoholic drinks where in the fridge but would be nice to have some fresh juice option-although this might be available we where not advised? And Spa treatments...

Staff are also very friendly and attentive

The whole setting on the private side is well worth paying the small extra difference. Very relaxing and peaceful and overall much nicer, but it all depends what kind of holiday you are after.

The pool made it much easier for us with the children as the sea on both islands is quite murky and I hardly saw anyone in it.

The communication could be improved for example it would have been nice to have been advised on how the check out process worked and if the bags would be collected etc,

The private resort is beautiful and i highly recommend it, we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you like to be close to breakfast area choose a room closer to the main area they are all very si...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
2 Thank CRYSTAL79
Dave S, Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hi Crystal,
Wow - thanks for taking the time to articulate such a detailed review of both our properties...and it’s wonderful to read that you’re definitely planning to come back!

As we just publicly launched our Private Island this month, we’re ecstatic you enjoyed it. Know that we’ll use your helpful feedback to positively impact the experience of our future guests. Perhaps I could highlight a few of the points you mentioned and update you on some others?

* Glad your kids experienced gifts from both properties (e.g., ropes course vs. fresh water pool)
* Private Island food – we too are so thankful for Chef Surya and the beautiful, delicious eatables he and his team create; our thinking is that some people simply have different palates
* Private Island mini-bar – we’re embarrassed but have a solution that should be in place by Sept; in mid-July, we learned of an additional tax we have to work through before we can sell non-beer alcoholic drinks so we’ll be advising guests to bring their own favorite wines until then
* Fruit juices – great idea! We just started training our hosting staff to serve fresh fruit juices
* Staff’s English fluency – Glad this wasn’t an issue; hiring locally and helping staff grow their English speaking skills is one of the small ways we live out our vision and mission
* Wind-conditioning – we absolutely agree and appreciate your highlighting what most experience
* Keeping leftover snacks in plastic bags – we absolutely agree. As our properties are out in nature, I’ve personally seen ants appearing when leftover snacks are left out.
* Highlight complimentary biodegradable mosquito repellant – We will also revisit the schedule with which we fumigate for mosquitoes given your experience one night
* Keys – these are available at the Private Island upon request; with all of our staff and housekeeping staff around, we haven’t ever found security of the rooms to be an issue
* Boat ride out to Telunas – while it’s great that we have lifejackets for everyone (including infants), we’ve spoken to our staff about the importance of making sure to offer them(!)
* Sea color – I’ve been told it varies depending on the weather and time of year but that the most beautiful blues are found from Oct-April

Thank you again for taking the time to write such detailed feedback. I hope the above is helpful and please know that our staff can't wait to host you and your lovely family again,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We (2 adults, 3 kids) stayed for 12 days in this remote, but easy to reach (from Singapore) place.
The staff was very friendly, helpful and caring.
The facilities were simple, but clean and comfortable.
Food was good and plenty.
Activities include ping-pong, soccer, volleyball, badminton, kayaking, paddle boarding, and many more. Thus our kids had a blast and their days were packed.
Prices are definitely fair for what you get in return.
One of the best holidays we had with our family so far!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dave S, Manager at Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Hi Stefan,
So you had 3 kids out for 12 days in a row at Telunas...without wifi or a TV around? It’s great to hear they had a blast and were able to actively enjoy the great outdoors -- especially when so many kids today are addicted to technology and captive to test scores.

Know that Yani, Jones, and a few others from our staff send their greetings – they had a great time playing with your kids and loved how fun and genuine care is the common language that all kids enjoy!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sugi Island
#1 of 1 in Kadidiri Island
Onong Resort
Onong Resort
#1 of 44 in Manado

Been to Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort? Share your experiences!