I traveled to Telunas during a three week Asia trip with three friends. Everything was simple--Aan and Ian met us at the international terminal and rode with us by boat all the way to Telunas (about 1.5 hours from Sekupang). These two staff were with us for our entire stay--we love them!
Weaving between all the other islands on our way to Sugi was really beautiful. We arrived to wet towels to freshen up along with the famous welcome drink--some mix of orange and pineapple probably and quite tasty. We were served lunch upon arrival and then shown to our rooms.
We spent three days there. You can be as active or lazy as you'd like. This place is truly secluded. It's the ONLY thing out there. We just hung out mostly--explored the beach, played some frisbee, took a ton of pictures, jumped off the dock (we spent about 90% of our time doing this), and pigged out at meal time. We did take the waterfall hike, which was pretty incredible. We got to see the way some of the locals live, and also ran across 10-12 monkeys jumping between the trees throughout our trip.
The only thing we had trouble with was sleeping without A/C. We're four spoiled American guys, so the nights were pretty warm if there wasn't a breeze. Thankfully, the staff gave us an extra fan upon request and this helped a lot.
We kept joking about wanting to take the cook home with us. She made omelettes to order each morning along with fresh fruit and other options. We're not picky eaters--as long as it's not curry--and we loved everything they served us. There was even one vegetarian there while we were, and they always prepared him a vegetarian option at no extra cost. Usually fruit is served as dessert after lunch, and dinner is followed by brownies, cake, or the famous banana crepes (they more than lived up to their billing! I was mad at myself for eating so much at dinner, because I could only handle 2 crepes and I wanted to eat 12.)
All in all, we really enjoyed our time at Telunas. We spent 2 1/2 more weeks hopping around Singapore, Vietnam, and Thailand, and we kept joking about wanting to go back to Telunas. Hope you get a chance to go!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 1.5 Hrs from Batam (3+ from Singapore) but a world away, Telunas Resorts has two distinct properties to serve guests seeking rest, relaxation, and fun. Telunas Beach Resort provides "rustic elegance" (i.E., Cozy bed-and-breakfast) while Telunas Private Island provides "simple luxury" (i.E., Comfortable private resort). Built entirely above the water, enjoy Telunas' stunning sea and jungle views and let sea breezes and lapping water ease you to sleep. Facilities: Private Island - 15 sea villas, grand lodge (dining, lounge, etc.); Beach Resort - 10 private chalets, 4 deluxe rooms, 1 multi-family suite, 5 dorms, meeting room, lounge, dining room, private beach. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Telunas Beach Hotel Sugi Island
- Telunas Beach Hotel Batam
- Telunas Beach Batam
- Telunas Resorts - Telunas Beach Resort Indonesia/Sugi Island, Riau Islands