“Perfect for whom is looking for tranquillity!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Zacharo Rooms

Zacharo Rooms
Ranked #1 of 1 Thirassia B&B and Inns
Turin, Italy
“Perfect for whom is looking for tranquillity!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed at Zacharo Rooms in August 2011, Jimmy and his wife are two lovely peaple, always willing to help you for everything you need (luggage lost, information, etc..).
The view is amazing and it's a place full of tranquillity and peace. It's a very traditional island, where you won't find a lot of tourists, but the inhabitans are very kind and everybody spekes English perfectly!
Unfortunatly, the island has only three connection a day to Santorini (the last one at 5 p.m.) so if you are looking for peace and tranquillity that's perfect! We are a young couple and we found that a bit binding.
In conclusion: amazing place and peaple but if you're looking for fun, that's not the right place for you!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nalin M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

We first happened upon Jimmy's Rooms in the 1990.
After the madness of Santorini it was a stunning escape.
The Cavo Mare and the Resturant with 'free range piggles' were the only places even in high season.
Things have changed a bit since then but if you can get there for an island Easter it will stay with you for life.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nigelonholiday
Watford, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

I am writing and doing photography for a book about Thirassia and I needed to stay on the island overnight. The only hotel on the island was Zacharo rooms, better known as Jimmy's. To say that I was pleasently suprised is an understatement. Jimmy and his wife Roula are some of the nicest people that I have ever met. They make you feel right at home. The rooms are simple, but offer everything that you could need, from air conditioning, a small kitchen to the quietest most relaxing atmosphere that you can imagine. I can not remember the last time that I slept so deeply and soundly. The atmosphere on the island is just relaxation. It is the quietest place I have found in years. After the hectic of Santorini it is a pleasure to step back in time and see what Greece was like 40 years ago. I also recommend that you drop in to the Panorama restaurant in Manolas. The best traditional Greek food that I have had in in the last 20 years.
To get to Thirassia is not easy because the tourist offices on Santorini tell you that you can't go there except on a tour. Not true. There is a small ferry leaving the port of Amoudi (Oia) every day at 8:00 and 12:00 with the last one returning at 5:00. It costs 1€ each way. There is a municipal bus to take you up to Manolas from the port of Riva, or there is also Nikos's "taxi", actually a pickup with benches in the back. 3 times a week there is a ferry running from the Athinas port (Santorini) to Riva where you can also take your car with you.
If you are in the area, try it, you will love it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
7 Thank photographer47
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

I must first admit that this review is of the island of Thirassia as much as it is of Jimmy's but, given that his rooms are the only means by which one can base themselves on the island, any glowing recommendation of Thirassia naturally lends itself to recommending Jimmy's as the place to stay.

I was very fortunate to have a fellow TripAdvisor member stay at Jimmy's a fortnight before I was due to arrive. I had encountered difficulties contacting Jimmy (very possibly owing to my ineptitude when dialling international numbers) but the TA member told Jimmy to expect me and sure enough, on the day before I was set to arrive there, I spoke to him from my hotel and he was ready for me.

Do read the review below by Kennydon as it provides you with the details you need for both Thirassia and Zacharo Rooms. This island is truly an undiscovered haven and it helps to have the details of ferries, buses and accommodation provided to you as it can be very difficult to find out about it yourself. I will add my two cents about how I found the experience of Jimmy's and Thirassia.

We arrived on the island on the midday ferry from Amoudi to Riva (costs €1 per person) and were immediately ushered into the back of a pickup truck with a roof over the bed. This driver took us up to Manolas (costs €2 per person) and, whilst he drops you off somewhere so quiet you almost want to ask him where you are, the cessation of the journey is in the 'capital' of Thirassia. Jimmy told us roughly 300 people live on the island with Manolas accounting for almost two-thirds of that number. You quickly begin to realise that, by any comparator, Thirassia is deserted.

The American couple who had caught the bus with us soon asked to be taken back down to the harbour for the ferry back to Riva after we informed them that they weren't any beaches. I think they had come with some mistaken pre-conceptions. This island is not even close to catering to the tourists as much as it's easterly neighbour. In fact, it almost seems to shun the limelight in a way that Thira (the main island of Santorini) simply doesn't.

We walked into Manolas and through desolate streets with not a person in sight. A few cats and dogs strayed across our paths but, all in all, we felt alone in this village. The walk up to Zacharo Rooms takes only 5 minutes from where the bus drops you but it is mostly uphill. When you are dropped off, head right through the village and follow the one road. Jimmy's trademark curved roof comes into sight on the left side of the road, nestled into the hillside below a church.

Jimmy and Roula met us with a smile - they were outside enjoying a cup of coffee and the fine weather when we arrived. He showed us to rooms 1 and 3 (a twin and a double respectively) and offered us the choice, of which we chose the latter. The room was basic indeed. It housed a bed, a wardrobe, table and chair, refrigerator, hotplate and small CRT TV (though ours only found a couple of channels, and these were fuzzy and intermittent) on top of a cupboard containing cutlery and crockery. The bathroom was well-aged and had a shower, toilet (neighboured by the obligatory bin) and sink.

No sooner had we set our stuff down at Jimmy's than we headed out on a walk to the south of the island. After passing by two men walking their donkeys just a few yards from Jimmy's, we seemed to have the island to ourselves. The only other sign of life was an abandoned car on the route down to Kera. We stopped off at several churches and the monastery at the south of the island - these Greek Orthodox buildings are all absolute gems and wonderfully appointed.

Thirassia is incredible. I do hope it remains as serene and tranquil as it is now - the views are at least equal to, and in my eyes superior to, those you will get on the other side of the caldera and, even more importantly, you can enjoy them alone. Between Manolas and Kera is a vast vista encompassing almost the entirety of Thira from Oia in the north to Pyrgos towards the south. That this scene can be enjoyed with barely a whisper of noise enhances the magic of the place. The wind rushing through bush provides the soundtrack to looking out over the caldera.

After our walk, we headed back into Manolas and, after a walk around the town, we located the market. It's a small store which we were only alerted to when we saw the owner and a friend sitting outside the front enjoying the sunshine. This, like so much that happened on Thirassia, was the beauty of the island - it was like stepping back in time to an easier, more relaxed way of life. This is how I imagined Greece could be.

We then returned up to Jimmy's to see that Roula had left us a small loaf of crispbread along with various preserves. This was our snack whilst we mustered up the energy (and courage) to tackle the steep steps down to Korfos Harbour for dinner. Those steps - oh my. It must have taken 25 minutes to get down from Manolas to the clutch of restaurants along the waterfront and, when we arrived, Korfos was empty. All of the restaurants seem to close up once the volcano tours have returned to Athinios on the other island.

Jimmy's itself has some of the most incredible views we experienced on the island. Looking out from the end of the porch, you almost drop directly down onto the caldera and then look across to Fira. We caught some sensational moons from here and, just a two minute walk to the opposite side of the island gets you some of the most incredible views of the sunset. The location just cannot be beaten and I remarked that such a location on the other island would cost in excess of ten times the €25 that Jimmy charges you for a night in his rooms.

In front of the porch is a veritable feast of botany. Jimmy and his wife grow grapevines, figs, mulberries and roses abundantly in their gardens and, as Jimmy offered me a try of one of the mulberries, staight from the tree, I can testify that the fruit reaped here is absolutely beautiful. The mulberry was the only fruit in season and it was wonderfully juicy and perfectly ripe.

In the morning, I caught him and Roula sitting out on my way up to one of the churches and, after a quick discussion about where I had been the previous evening, he offered me a coffee. Not being a coffee drinker, I declined. Nonetheless, he invited me into the kitchen of his home and we discussed the island and his 'hotel'. They are such an incredibly friendly and humbling couple. Being here really makes you yearn for the simple life - and there is no better place to enjoy such an existence.

The negatives about this place can be summed up in a single paragraph, such was the weighting in favour of staying at Jimmy's. The bed did creak when moved upon and this made for a very disturbed night's sleep. Of course, I only know that this applies to one of the rooms. The TV did not work properly though why one would come here to watch TV is beyond me. Also, the rooms are not well sound-proofed and we could hear the neighbour's moving, watching TV and even showering. If these things cause distress, look out of the window and all frustration subsides.

For the location and the man himself, you get €250's worth of brilliance for a tenth of the price. It is the most wonderful place we visited during our stay in Greece and any future Santorini holiday will include several days at Jimmy's, regardless of where else we spend our time. He is such a pleasant man and, surprisingly given the island's disconnection from the world, speaks English almost fluently.

The photos accompanying this review should give you some indication of the setting of the rooms. This place was magical. It is difficult to portray the rooms as anything other than basic but you really do not need luxury here - it is a back to basics place and that is the beauty of the place, the attraction of the island. The other side of the caldera provides all the pomp and ceremony you could ever desire - here is strictly for relaxing, appreciating nature at its very best and having more moments of pure escapism than you could ever wish for.

P.S. Feel free to contact me for more on Thirassia, including any of the hundreds of photographs I took of this stunning place.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Astraeus
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

Jimmy: Tel: +30 22860 29102; Cell: +30 697 839 5640. Currently, no website - all very relaxed, just like Thirassia itself. Just ring and speak to Jimmy, tell him the date(s) you're after and what time you'll be there. Just remember the timezones!

Want the beauty of Santorini but without the crowds or the expense - treat yourself to a slower pace of life on Thirassia and stay at Zacharo's (or 'Jimmy's' as its also known - after its owner, Jimmy and his wife, Roula). Cost: Euro 25 per night ! A great base for walking the island, or just relaxing.

Zacharo is located just outside of Manolas village on Thirassia. Very easy to find if you haven't asked Jimmy to collect you from the boat/bus. The boat departs Ammoudi three times a day (8.00, noon and 17.00). Bus meets the boat at Riva and drives you to Manolas, via Potamos. Cost: Boat - one euro; bus - Euro 1.40. Its less than a ten minute walk from where the bus stops at the back of the main church. Get to the caldera side and walk upwards (towards the southern edge of the island, towards Akrotiri, if you were on Santorini). There are currently nine rooms with two more triples due to be completed in the next few months. Some are let long-stay as Jimmy boards some of the local school teachers year round.

The rooms are basic but very clean and well-cared for. I was in a roomy twin room - two single beds, desk and chair, wardrobe, bathroom, a small kitchenette with sink, cupboards, crockery and cutlery, fridge and hotplate. Roula delivered crispbread for breakfast, along with honey, preserves, butter and some water. I declined the offer of coffee, since I don't drink it. She also described how to find the bakery, mini-market and fruit store. The only restaurants are either part-way down the stairs to Korfos Harbor (Panorama) or at Korfos itself. Since these restaurants finish serving mid- to late-afternoon when the volcano tours depart, you can't really eat there in the evening. I either had food from the fruit store (they had a good selection: local cucumbers, Santo tomatoes, white aubergines, cherries, strawberries, watermelon and more - along with packaged goods) or ate in the afternoon down at the harbor and snacked in the evening. All the restaurant owners know Jimmy, so if you're there later in the afternoon, don't be surprised if you get asked "staying at Jimmy's". They know its the only place on the island for guests to stay overnight. If you had a car, you could drive to Riva and eat at one of their tavernas that is open later.

Jimmy's has amazing views - from one side, its caldera all the way - overlooking Fira and down to Korfos Harbor. From the porch that stretches the length of all the rooms, you don't have to leave it to view the sunset - unless you want a different angle for yet 'one more photo'. Forget the Oia-like sunset 'scrum'. Directly below is all of Manolas and Potamos. It can be a little exposed to the wind when it blows, but bring an extra layer and its not a problem.

Jimmy and Roula are also wonderful gardeners - there are trees and flowers in bloom in their large garden and their roses have a heady scent I have never smelt in a store-bought rose. Jimmy cut two rosebuds when I departed and they fragranced my next hotel room in Perissa for the next few days - I was very sorry to have to get rid of them when I moved on.

Jimmy and Roula were always so helpful and friendly in providing local information as to what times the shops were open, when and where to get the bus to take you to Riva and boat to Oia, as well as my requests of 'how do I walk to . . . .' In six days I walked south to the monastery at Komisi, up to Kera overlooking the caldera to Fira, from Manolas to Potamos and onto deserted Agrilia, Christos Church, from Manolas to Riva (don't try it the other way - its uphill coming back!), and of course, down to Korfos Harbor. I still don't feel I've seen it all - and its only 9km long - and after experiencing the relaxing atmosphere, I can't wait to return and continue exploring.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
9 Thank Kennydon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thirassia
Anemomilos Hotel Apartments
Villa Soula
Villa Soula
#57 of 82 in Fira
The Museum Spa Wellness Santorini Hotel

Been to Zacharo Rooms? Share your experiences!