“enjoy the silence”

Ranked #1 of 1 Thirassia B&B and Inns
Athens, Greece
“enjoy the silence”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My name is Tilemachos I live in Athens. Mr Jimmy ( the owner) is the best person you could meet. Everything there is so friendly. The island is perfect. The view is magical!! I wanna go back as soon as possible!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tilemachos m

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My name is Chris from Los Angeles area and I stayed at Zacharo Rooms for the first time with my 14 yr old daughter in early July. I Loved Zacharo Rooms' location at top of Thirasia overlooking BOTH the Caldera and across to Santorini. The sunsets from Zacharo Rooms' front doors are AMAZING NICE and you don't have to be there with 100,000 other people as is the case in Oia. The place is opposite to Fira's Hustle & Bustle big city atmosphere. If you are the type you like a more quite, serene, out of the way, Beautiful Spectacular views, hide-a-way place but still be with an easy reach of the Big Santorini Island, this is a great place to stay. It was not shown anywhere but Zacharo Rooms has an unattached (from the rooms) shaded Kiosk or Porch that overlooks the port. Jimmy the owner is very friendly Greek (American English) speaking, very helpful guy with his very nice wife. Jimmy was Great taking us and picking us up from the port when we needed him and transporting us to his place any time and every time we called him to do so, and that made it really Great!!! Also other people on Thirasia are very nice Friendly like a Restaurant owner picked us up and took us back after we had eaten at his place by the harbor.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank ChrisZografos
Italy
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My stay in Thirassia has been a unique experience.The island is just the opposite of the spotlight and famous Santorini.
I was the only tourist living there during the few days I stayed on the island!.Thirassia makes you feel like you are back in a very genuine world where locals are kind and welcoming and you and its beauty it's breathtaking.
My stay at Zacharo's studio was memorable as I felt part of Jimmy's family and I loved passing by and chat with him or his very nice wife Roula and her sister .Jimmy is one of the gentlest and big hearted person i have ever met.His peaceful manners and his smile makes you feel welcome and at ease at first sight!My room was big and spacious and I had a little kitchen where I could make some food.In Thirassia the restaurants close a little after the tourist ship leaves for Santorini but there is a little grocery store and a "fourno"(bakery).But if you ask lovely Margarita, Panorama's restaurant, she will wait for you to come before closing her place for the day!I will be back as Jimmy's place felt like home away from home ....

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Pantarei4ever
London
Reviewed 20 June 2013

It's hard to believe that a place that's just 15 minutes by boat from one of the busiest Greek islands could possibly be one of the most idyllic island retreats. Thirasia is the small piece of Santorini that made a bid for freedom a few thousand years ago and hasn't looked back since.

Yes, tourists do come, but they usually only stay for a couple of hours and rarely venture much further than the port before getting back on their excursion boats to return to the hustle and bustle of 'mainland' Santorini. They're missing a great deal! The island largely unspoilt by the ravages of tourism and has beautiful walks, breathtaking views of the caldera and a panorama of Santorini that you don't get from any viewpoint. It's got beautiful churches and deserted villages with perfect examples of cave houses, all wrapped up in a blanket of peace and quiet. And the people are oh so friendly!

And as for Jimmy, well, he's almost the human embodiment of the island. Calm and laid-back, friendly, helpful and very likeable. His 9 rooms are the only place you can stay on the island but that's no imposition. They are bright and clean, not luxury, but everything you need for a few days to recover from the pressues of today's world.

Jimmy's has such wonderful views across the caldera to the villages sprinkled like icing sugar along the rim of the crater. At night, the icing sugar turns into a pin cushion of twinkling lights. While I was there, Jimmy was building a new terrace on the cliff edge for his guests to sit and enjoy the views; it should be ready by now. When you come, make sure you've got enough space on your memory card - you'll want to take lots of pictures.

When you visit Santorini, go to Thirasia and stay at Jimmy's for a night or so - you'll be glad you did. You can catch the ferry for €1 from Ammoudi port below Oia. The ferry goes to Riva on Thirasia where you can jump aboard the local minibus up to the main village of Manolas - it doesn't run on Sunday but Jimmy offered to come and pick me up - I told you he was helpful. The ferries run 3 times a day around 8:00, 12:00 and 17:00 and while I was there, an additional ferry was added for the summer running at 22:00. As always, check these times, they may change.

I'd read that the tavernas close when the tour boats leave in the late afternoon so I took some wine and some goodies for late night picnicking. It wasn't necessary though. Jimmy phoned the local Panorama taverna and asked them to open up just for me - they did, for both nights I stayed, and I spent two most enjoyable evenings chatting and eating Yianni's excellent food. See my review of the Panorama Taverna.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank TravelsWithNellie
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Well, for about 15yrs I've considered spending a nite on the small island of Thirasia just 8 minutes by boat from Amoudi Harbor in Santorini. Finally, I was able to contact JIMMY at ZACHARO ROOMS zacharostudios@yahoo.com and cell: 697-839-5640 (as of May 2013).
As of my visit, this is the ONLY place to get rooms on Thirasia. There are rumors of plans for an upscale "spa" kinda place, but that remains to be seen.... Very few people visit Thiraisa. It's called a "Virgin Island" since it remains untouched by tourism.

Jimmy was supposed to pick me up at the port, but said he was having cement delivered for the building of his soon-to-be SPECTACULAR deck overlooking the major harbor on the island towards Santorini... If he can finish this, it will be a view like none other.
I was the only person there in mid May 2013. Room 9 of 14 rooms, very basic and a little musty. Small "kitchenette" in need of a few more items to make it really livable-but not necessary for me.

Some guy at the smaller port of RIVA (U can take a local boat there 3 times a day in high season from Amoudi) offered me a ride in the back of his covered truck. HOLY CRAP what a ride. Hung on for dear life as we bumped and bumped our way up to Jimmy's. Then he asked for 10 Euro (so, I gave him 2).
Once at Jimmy's he and his sweet wife were there. He's so proud of his rooms and the deck he's building. Zacharo rooms is above the main city Manolos on the way to a monastery (too much of a steep climb for me).

This is a bare bones NO FRILLS kinda place, but as long as rooms are clean and plumbing works, that's OK with me. I was there around May 12 & the room was 30 Euro, but I don't guarantee that U will get the same price.

There is a LOT of walking to do on Thriasia, and not much more to do. There is One Restaurant- THE PANORAMA- at the top of the long, zig-zag donkey path from the large port. It was closed for dinner since the locals (only around 150 of them) don't usually eat dinner out. It services the lunch/tour boat visitors during the day. The owner & his son were SO DAMN nice..They opened it up for me with a limited menu, and the food,the kindness and the view was SO memorable.

There are some other restaurants way down at the large port (maybe 3) that service the tour visitors-and it's killing the business of the PANORAMA at the top- so, we'll see how that plays out.
Be prepared for steep hills, steep village paths, and commanding views toward Santorini and surrounding islands that FEW people experience. It was great to hear the sounds of village life bouncing off the walls of the port.

If you are looking for solitude, this is the place for you. A small mini mart and bakery--VERY small... and really, nothing else. It may be best to bring some extra waters with you... Roosters crow in the morning, donkeys graze and tons of wayward cats look for something to eat.
It is village life like Greece had 40yrs ago. I just HAD to experience it once overnite to see sunrises & sunsets... And coffee with Jimmy and Rula (I think) was really special. Sitting with them in their place, just talking after sunset was probably the best experience I had. I went to wander, and take pictures.

Is it for everyone?? Maybe not. But those looking for quiet days and majestic views will find an island that few have seen.
Thanks to Jimmy & his wife for their kindness... and I hope that MANY visitors choose to see the island, and your deck with it's truely AMAZING view...

Room Tip: I was in room 9, just at the end of all the rooms closest to the new deck being built.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank lagreek1
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed at Zacharo Rooms in August 2011, Jimmy and his wife are two lovely peaple, always willing to help you for everything you need (luggage lost, information, etc..).
The view is amazing and it's a place full of tranquillity and peace. It's a very traditional island, where you won't find a lot of tourists, but the inhabitans are very kind and everybody spekes English perfectly!
Unfortunatly, the island has only three connection a day to Santorini (the last one at 5 p.m.) so if you are looking for peace and tranquillity that's perfect! We are a young couple and we found that a bit binding.
In conclusion: amazing place and peaple but if you're looking for fun, that's not the right place for you!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nalin M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We first happened upon Jimmy's Rooms in the 1990.
After the madness of Santorini it was a stunning escape.
The Cavo Mare and the Resturant with 'free range piggles' were the only places even in high season.
Things have changed a bit since then but if you can get there for an island Easter it will stay with you for life.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nigelonholiday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thirassia
Atalos Apartments & Suites
#13 of 45 in Perissa
Laokasti Villas
Laokasti Villas
#33 of 56 in Oia

Been to Zacharo Rooms? Share your experiences!