“The Hidden Jewel of Capri”
Review of Ristorante Mamma

Ristorante Mamma
Ranked #44 of 190 Restaurants in Island of Capri
Price range: US$72 - US$106
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“The Hidden Jewel of Capri”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My husband and I stumbled upon Ristorante Mamma on our day trip to Capri from Sorrento. Our experience was one we will cherish, the best dining experience on our 4 week European holiday. The food was absolutely amazing, I mean 'amazing', and all the staff were absolutely wonderful. I recommend the tasting plates matched with some of the wines of the region, molto, molto bene!

• Visited May 2014

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Excellent new restaurant on Capri”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I stumbled upon Mamma one afternoon. We were searching for another restaurant we had been to on via Serafina on a prior visit. We saw Mamma and decided to try it. We had a beautiful lunch there. We were seated at a window and the views are stunning. We had pizza which was just great. Restaurant is fairly new-lovely decor. Waiter very accomodating, professional and friendly. Found this restaurant late in our stay but certainly will revisit it on our next trip.

• Visited October 2013
Scarsdale, New York
“Fabulous meal, lovely wait-staff”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had a delicious meal here. This is a modern looking new restaurant with a 2 star Michelin chef. My octopus salad & fish were delicious, as was my husband's meal. The service was excellent. When we told the waiter we were celebrating our 30th anniversary, the wait-staff & manager unexpectedly came out singing to us with sparklers and excellent desserts. We loved our meal & they made us feel quite special. I highly recommend this place for a truly memorable meal.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank sun_ski33
London
“Not Good”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The ghosts of da Gemma were bound to be swirling around this restaurant. Everything is lighter, whiter and colder- including the welcome.

To be fair, the food is pitched at a different kind of customer- the kind of diner who might go to Edode in Via Camerelle, or L'Olivo at the Capri Paace in Anacapri.
The good things were the light fresh decor and the personal visit from the charming two Michelin star chef Gennaro Esposito at every table. The pre-starter shot glass of lemon and melon juice was very refreshing and well balanced.

Sadly, for me it fell short on almost every level:
The non-welcome, (the lady at the door was almost repellant and tried at first to insist we didn't have a reservation in spite of me having stood in front of her the previous week and seen her writing it down).
The time it took to receive drinks and menus. We were visited by the chef and the Maitre de to take our order before we had even been given menus. The waiting staff were uncoordinated and no one seemed sure what was supposed to be happening. There were charger plates with smaller plates on top removed and replaced with different place settings.
The strange pizza "amuse bouche" which was topped with warm, tasteless iceberg lettuce that fell off soggily when we tried our best to eat it.
The food itself was unexciting. One dish of octopus with escarole looked beautiful, but the stuffed escarole was bland and added nothing to the octopus.
The spaghetti con pomodorini di Vesuvio should be something any chef from Campania could deliver and guarantee delight, but it smelled and tasted like a childhood memory of tinned spaghetti.

The ex-da Gemma pizza chef Silvio is gone, no one knows where.

We fled, broken hearted.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank LDN2012
“Ristorante Mamma is my reason for coming to Capri!!”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I travel very often to italy, for vacation. I have been choosing to come to capri for one reason.... MAMMÁ! This has got to be the BEST food I have ever had the pleasure to eat! From the exquisite tartare of fish, delicate like a cloud placed upon the tastiest tomates , to a risotto with basil pesto and figs! This is what I immagine heaven will be like! The pasta all hand created, was the best I've had in all of italy. I was here in June 2013 then I decided to return in august because for me the best part of vacation... Is the food... And what a vacation I am having eating every night at Ristorante Mammá! I really enjoy the time the chef Gennero Esposito takes to come to the tables to chat with us, and explain how he makes such delightful meals. You can tell he has a great passion for what he does... I am already planning to come back to capri for new years! I am in love with this food!!!! :)

Visited August 2013