“Brilliant, as always”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were back in beautiful Dolgellau for four days this July, and booked the wonderful Mawddach restaurant six weeks ahead ... just as well, as it was fully-booked when we turned up for dinner on Saturday evening and Sunday lunch. We enjoyed leisurely, peaceful drinks together on the terrace in the sun, overlooking the farm and Cader Idris, looking at the lovely photos of Hen and Will* (*co-owner and manager)'s recent wedding we'd asked for. Chef and co-owner Ifan's home-made soups are always brilliant - on this occasion, beetroot; so good, i had it the next day too. The new fish soup with rouille was the best my partner had eaten outside la belle France; and the saffron risotto is always a firm favourite of his. The beef was superb both days, and the slow-cooked then roasted pork (with a gorgeous individual leek and potato pie, crackling and apple sauce) was outstanding. I'm running out of adjectives for the fantastic chocolate mascarponi cream, with orange cream and crumbled honeycomb. Utterly divine. Our favourites were thoughtfully reserved for us incase we wanted them (you bet we did), and the atmosphere was as relaxed as the views are beautiful. I wish this restaurant wasn't 200 miles away. But it always helps make our trips to North Wales so special. A few days before, we'd eaten in Tom Kerridge's famous Hand and Flowers restaurant. Both were brilliant!

1  Thank 1Muso

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Food was good but the portions were small and we felt that it was overpriced. We had a smallish portion of fish that cost £15 and came with a small amount of mash. My burger was also expensive and came with a few chips but no salad or anything else. Kids menus were fine but also expensive.

3  Thank Roberto9
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Our family was treated to a last minute Sunday lunch. Reserved only 3 hours before, we were treated on arrival and delighted to see that there was a lift for less mobile customers.
The restaurant is upstairs with wonderful far fetching views of surrounding countryside.
We decided on the set menu of 2 courses, I had Belly Pork which was absolutely divine! followed by orange and almond cake with mascarpone cream. Everyone was highly delighted with their choice and faultless service. I would highly recommend this restaurant and can't wait to return.

2  Thank Nettytravel
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This restaurant has one of the most beautiful views of any in the UK. On a lovely sunny evening we shared aperitifs looking out across the estuary to Cader Idris. Idyllic. The food was very nice, not cheap but good. The menu is quite limited and portions could be more generous however the haddock/quails egg scotch egg was excellent and I enjoyed my chicken and my chocolate torte. Our vegetarian friends didn't have much choice but were happy with what they ate. Ask for a table by the window, you wont be disappointed

3  Thank paula1756
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I are regular lunchtime visitors to this restaurant and it never fails to please. I must take exception to the reviewer who thought the chips were frozen. I can assure them that not on any occasion when we have visited have the chips been frozen, they are hand cut potato chips and beautifully cooked. Of course it is possible that on that one occasion they served frozen chips to 'Rich S' but somehow I doubt it. The pork ragu with linguine is one of my favourites as is the ham and eggs, served in the autumn. The homemade corned beef is a delight as well. My wife usually plumps for a sandwich, made with excellent bread and fillings these too are a treat. I urge anyone with discerning taste to visit this restaurant for lunch or dinner as I am sure they will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Geoff C