“An amazing weekend with fabulous hosts”
Review of The Perch and Pike

The Perch and Pike
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Hidden away in the depths of the Oxfordshire countryside, the Perch and Pike is a quintessential English country pub in the village of South Stoke with a welcoming atmosphere and a hearty traditional menu. Well-loved standards such as fish and chips or sausage and mash are served up for lunch, with more refined dishes (think roasted duck flamed with Cointreau and served with an orange and lemon sauce) on the concise evening menu. The bar offers global wines and draught beers.
“An amazing weekend with fabulous hosts”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Having found out that Kim, Alex and Chris had taken over the Perch and Pike we just had to visit. We first met Kim and Alex when they owned the wonderful 'Zucchini' in Peyia, Cyprus. Having seen the delights they had on offer for our wedding we booked to stay for the weekend of our wedding anniversary in May and we knew from the moment of booking we would be in for a treat.

We arrived around lunchtime and had a quick bite from the bar snack menu (cold meat platter) as we didn't want to ruin our appetite as we were booked into the restaurant in the evening.

Later that evening we arrived and were greeted by Alex at the bar who promptly served us drinks and then we were taken to our table. We were given plenty of time to observe the menu, and we finally decided on the mussels for starters for me and my husband had a starter (the name escapes me) which was mainly mushrooms and risotto in bread crumbs. Both dishes were amazing and so tasty and left us wanting more. The mussels were huge and cooked to perfection.

My husband chose the steak for his main course and I chose the lamb dish. Both came beautifully presented (we expected nothing less from Kim and her team) and I can say is 'wow'. My lamb arrived on a salad containing peas, rocket, feta and pomegranates. I was a little unsure as to whether I would enjoy the four ingredients together as the ingredients aren't something I would have chosen, however it worked and it worked well. The pomegranates gave it a refreshing edge and the feta reminded us of our beloved Cyprus. The lamb was cooked to perfection, just the right shade of pink and it literally melted in your mouth. Also included were new potatoes.

My husbands steak was cooked rare and again, he was served a nice tender piece of steak cooked to perfection. The chips were also perfect, cut thick and just enough for me to pinch some too. To accompany the steak were mushrooms,rocket and tomatoes.

For dessert I ordered Eton Mess and my husband chocolate brownies. Again the presentation was perfect and both desserts were tasty and just sweet enough to round off our meal. I had originally wanted to try the cheese board, however I just didn't have room.

The service was attentive without being intrusive and at all times all staff from the bar staff, to the waiters and waitresses were polite. The restaurant itself if light and airy and although it was a scorching hot day when we visited, the restaurant was nice and cool and the other diners all seemed happy and enjoying themselves.

We will definitely be visiting again as we want to try the rest of the menu and also a Sunday lunch. We highly recommend the restaurant as we believe it suits all tastes, whether you are looking for a nice celebratory meal, or a dinner with friends. The Perch and Pike is a little hidden gem and we wish all the staff there the best for the future and hope that we get to visit again soon.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“All round win”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Popped in on way home and found lovely pub with great service and food. Food was good and full menu came in child portions. Service with a smile (despite us having 2 ferrel children) and free wifi. What more could you want?

1 Thank David L
Oxford, United Kingdom
“sunday lunch”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a delightful pub ,set in a small village ,lovely setting with good size garden,very good
menu with lots to chose from,and a very good pint of Breakspears Bitter.

Pangbourne, United Kingdom
“Very, very tasty - with great atmosphere”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We popped in on the off chance of grabbing a table - as we were quite early for dinner, the manager squeezed us before the rush. The decor makes for a very comfortable dining experience - nothing over the top, but unique and well styled.

The fishcakes for a starter were superb - I particularly enjoyed the sweet sauce, perfectly placed on the slate plates.

Then, I had the sea bass, which I could not fault. My fiance had the risotto starter, and the goat's cheese salad - which she enjoyed thoroughly.

All round lovely night out, and when the pub/restaurant started to fill up, the atmosphere became buzzy and lively.

Thanks for a lovely meal!

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch in a lovely village pub.”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We first stopped at the Perch & Pike following a recent 5 mile walk along the Thames Path, where a pint and some excellent roast potatoes left over from Sunday lunch fortified us for the return 5 miles back, with the thought that on a nice summer's day, a drink in the gardens and lunch would be ideal.

The opportunity arose to test this out and although the weather failed to oblige, 7 of us descended on the P & P for an excellent bank holiday Monday lunch, in the very tastefully decorated main dining room.

We enjoyed the excellent fresh fish and chips, it really was very good, with homemade tartare sauce, some succulent rump steaks with huge mushroom and vine tomatoes and a great cider ham, with eggs and chunky home cooked chips.

With the main courses coming in at just under £15, we all felt for the quality and quantity of the food, it was very good value.

The desserts were equally good and we all left feeling we had enjoyed an excellent lunch, in very pleasant surroundings, with very good service from the young waiter, who was attentive without being 'ever present'.

The wash rooms even had proper individual hand towels to dry your hands.

This is a proper village pub frequented by locals, but with a very good restaurant area and you can eat in the bar, it was a great find and as we only live a few miles down the road, we will be back.

1 Thank JemR_10