“Great place to chill”

Chatto Creek Tavern
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and I spend a relaxing hour having lunch at the tavern before starting the climb up the hill on the rail trail. The surroundings are a tranquil setting and the staff are very pleasant and helpful. The food is great value, very tasty and they serve very generous portions.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We had a wonderful family dinner thanks to Lesley Middlemass and her super friendly team, Our waitress was the best and a shame leaving customer service to teach at a High School. My 90 year old Dad and 13 year old daughter both ordered the Stewart Island blue cod and claimed it was just delicious. My brother in law had whitebait, nephew had a shank, Niece had the chicken, and I had a vege risotto. All the meals were massive, fresh and presented beautifully. We enjoyed our evening very much.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Graeme and Jenn... M
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This was a welcome stop for lunch on our Otago rail trail trip. The gardens and grounds were lovely and the staff friendly and helpful. I thought the food prices were a bit high and limited options but the staff were willing to accommodate us with a sandwich. This was really appreciated by us. Had a nice cold beer and rest before continuing our journey. Great place to stop and look around.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I was greeted by a hostile owner/manager who was indignant I walked through her garden. Her house is joined to the pub. Fences were pulled down and there were no clear signs where to go. Very disapointing when you are hot and tired from a hard ride. She admitted three people gad done the same in as many days. I politely pointed out that there must be a reason for this. Hospitality 0. Oh yes ... and it was my birthday lunch... no other pub in site ... so we ordered fries. Disapointed ... Enough said.

Stayed: November 2013
Lesley M, Owner at Chatto Creek Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

I really appreciate your feed back , I apologize for upsetting you on your birthday. We have endeavored to make the signage clearer , I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday .

Lesley Middlemass

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

An excellent place to stop for food and drink. Wife had mussels and I had the spare ribs. Washed down with a small ale. A perfect country pub that has just won the best country pub award in New Zealand.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2013

After travelling past this tavern many times, we decided to go there for their "well talked about Sunday Roast". The meal was well priced, and if you are a small eater, you will have enough for 3-4 days!! The staff were really friendly, as were the locals that were there. I can see why people doing the Rail Trail speak so highly of this tavern. The week after we hah our Roast Dinner there, the Chatto Creek Tavern was nominated for the best Country tavern award.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights while working up in central, lesley is an amazing host, she really knows how to look after people. The meals were good hearty meals and big meals too, I think a few of the boys wanted to stay here for good she was like a mum to us...... Was good to meet some locals and have a beer with them including having fun on the pool comp night. A great wee country pub in a great we part of the country.

Thanks heaps jono
Ill will be back

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Been to Chatto Creek Tavern? Share your experiences!