“A sad let down I'm afraid”

Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peasmarsh
Kent, England, United Kingdom
“A sad let down I'm afraid”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a good few times over the years and it has always felt so welcoming, comfortable and well equipped that it was literally like a home from home from us! THe staff were equally friendly & nothing was ever too much trouble. However, on out last weekend break we were confronted with a very different scenario. General decor was tatty & faded, staff were more efficient than friendly, the hotel was cold in public areas and nothing done about that when this was queried (it was a very cold weekend) and the log fire, normally warm & inviting in such circumstances, sat sadly neglected & unkept. In the spa area items in the pool facilities were either broken or in poor condition, remaining so throughout the duration and, on our final 3rd night the fish portion of my dinner was delivered undercooked! Worse still when we complained it was whisked away only to be returned in messy bits mixed with the bones. We got the cost of this back. To be honest, it was once a lovely welcoming hotel to keep returning to, with a special warmth & ambience. Would we go back? I'm afraid not, not any more..

Room Tip: Superior room are much larger and better equipped. Choose garden view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 558Terry
ManagerofFlackleyAsh, General Manager at Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear 558 Terry, I am sorry that you were dissappointed with your stay with us on this occasion. I would have been more than happy to have met you while you were here to discuss the issues you raised and rectify certainly some of them for you. The cold weather did surprise us some what and put the central heating on but unfortunatley the log fire has to be swept before we can light it. I will be spaking to the heads of departments with regards comments you have made. Please contact me directly to discuss the issues in more detail. Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
WALTON ON THAMES
Reviewed 5 September 2013

A very good hotel. Spotlessly clean with good food and cheery, friendly staff.

This was my second stay here and I would not hasten to recommend it.

I did not use the spa but noticed the gym was very popular as was the swimming pool. Both looked nice and bright.

A nice quiet hotel near to Rye so plenty to see in the area.

Room Tip: Both rooms I have stayed in were huge so imagine all are the same
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Patricia W, Thank you for your kind words and I hope to see you again very soon. Kind regards
Barnet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Flackley Ash hotel was recommended to us, and we had a perfect stay. The staff are fantastic, the pool is amazing and the food is tremendous. We will be back for sure and will also tell our friends to visit too. Penny and her team looked after us so well, it couldn't have been a better mini break from our busy London life.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Hayley R, Thank you for you kind words and I am very pleased that you were reccommended and maybe you could come back with your friends. See you again soon. Kind regards Penny
london
Reviewed 2 September 2013

If, like us, you were expecting the rooms etc to look like the photos on their website, you will be very disappointed. The decor is both old and dirty. Most of the carpets are filthy and need to be thoroughly cleaned or replaced. The breakfast buffet was poor & poorly supervised- juices, fruit etc weren't replenished promptly, some were left out without covers, so had wasps sitting on them.juices weren't cold. The hot breakfast cooked to order, is a good idea, but poorly executed e.g smoked salmon & scrambled eggs came with the hot eggs piled on top of the cold salmon. The restaurant was nearly empty on both nights, so we decided not to risk it & ate out. The room to room phone connection wasn't working, there is no mobile phone signal in the hotel & the doors have yale locks (not card operated) - so, you feel very isolated in your room (specially if you have children in another room). There is no fridge in the rooms. On the plus side, most of the staff were helpful & tried their best to help out once something was pointed out to them. The gardens are quiet & relaxing-we had afternoon tea on the lawn as it was a nice day. The free wi-fi works in the rooms as well as the public areas.

Room Tip: We were offered a choice of rooms, but both had tired decor,dirty carpets etc.so not sure if there a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Aliceinwonderland, I am sorry that you felt dissappointed with the hotel. I will arrange to speak to the restaurant manager with regards to the breakfast service, We are very proud with our breakfast here at the hotel and have retained our Tourist Board Breakfast award for the past three years. I wish I could change the mobile phone signal problem we have here in Peasmarsh, unfortunatley it is out of my control. Thank you for your kind words with regards to the staff and our gardens. Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Peasmarsh hotels

East Sussex
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Mu husband and I stayed for one night on a dinner/bed/breakfast in a garden room. The grounds are lovely and the room looked out onto the beautiful gardens. However, the hotel could be perfect with a little attention. Bathrooms need updating, the Reception area need a little paint work. Staff were great and the food excellent.

Room Tip: Room 61 is a lovely room which is very close to the Spa.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear VandaEastSussex, Thank you for your kind words and I have noted your points about updating bathrooms. We do have a redecoration schedule in place and can be a little tricky sometimes of the year finding a quiet time to start the schedule. I do hope to see you again in the future. Kind regards Penny
e sussex
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed here overnight on a couple of pampering breaks, we were told upon arrival that we had been upgraded to a superior room. Unfortunately upon entering it had six visible spiders, cobwebs, dirty window ledge, and it was clear that the area behind the pelmet, tv and radiators hadn't been cleaned for a while. I rang reception which just rang and rang, so I walked to reception to inform them that it wasnt clean and wasnt acceptable. They immediately sent someone and I have to say they pulled everything out and cleaned thoroughly, but it should have been done before we arrived! The knob on the shower fell off once you turned it, plus the carpet was quite stained which didn't really add to the 'superior' label. The treatments were fabulous, the pool /spa was nice but the locker room was tired / needing a revamp and both hair dryers didn't work. We had a snack in the bar in the evening, the waiters were pleasant and very polite. One forgot our drinks, but was so apologetic and genuinely upset that he had forgot, that we really didnt mind. Unfortunately the panini was overcooked so the lid of it was inedible and the tomato was forgotten in our other sandwich. Breakfast was good, selecting what you want off the menu to be freshly cooked, a smile would have gone down well too. The fruit bowl on the buffet looked a bit sad / empty and the bananas overripe, there wasnt a massive amount of choice but I guess it was midweek - some croissants, pain au chocolate would have been nice. A plus was that there was free wifi and it was a good location.i think it would be ok for a spa day but I wouldn't want to stay overnight again - I am not fussy but cleanliness is vital to me.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank slappy
Dear slappy, Thank you for your comments. I do apologise for the dissappointing stay, I will be speaking to all the departments concerned and I will ensure they adhere to the normally high standards I expect at the hotel. Kind regards Penny
Sidcup, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

6 of us stayed here for th weekend. For the last 8 years we have an annual wekend at The Tudor Marriot in Maidstone, but no more! We shsall definatley change to the Flackley Ash.
The staff are very helpful and friendly. The hotel has plenty of character. We were all upgraded to Garden rooms which had their own patio area overlooking a lovely lawn. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms spacious and clean, my only criticism would be that a fridge could have been provided!
We dined in the restaurant on the Saturday night and the food and service was excellent.
The breakfast the folowing morning was superb. All freshly made to order and plenty of it.
The leisure facilities were good although the shower room is separate from the changing room!
All in all a very relaxing stay in wonderful surroundings.

Room Tip: GArden rooms are spacious and quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank martinsidcup
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peasmarsh
The Mermaid Inn
River Haven Hotel
The Gallivant
The Gallivant
#1 of 1 in Camber

Been to Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!