“With a bit of effort, it could be fantastic”

Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peasmarsh
London
“With a bit of effort, it could be fantastic”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Firstly, I am so grateful that Flackley Ash was able to accommodate us after being let down by another local hotel at the last minute. The receptionist was an angel. The room was nice, the beds comfy and the breakfast fantastic. However, once my euphoria that we had a bed for the night subsided, I couldn't help thinking how the place might be improved. The decor was OK but felt, well, a bit tired. A bit of advice from an interior designer could do wonders for the place. Other hotels have book shelves, games, magazines and other stuff on display to add character. The only real gripe was dinner. I echo a previous reviewer: £8.50 for 5 small prawns on an oil soaked muffin? £22.50 for a slap of fish with some potato on top? This is proper rip-off territory. If you are going to charge these prices, hire a chef who can cook. The Bell at Iden isn't far away, it's child-friendly and the food is excellent. All in all, though, still really glad we went there, but regretting the money we sepnt on dinner.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mightyshepherd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
ashford
Reviewed 29 March 2014

It looks very nice when you pull up in the car park. Upon entry you can see it well past it's sell by date. The rooms are tired, the furniture near knackered.
No hot water for showers, not once but twice. And when I asked the reception why, she replied "It is because everyone must be showering at the same time". At 10.30 in the morning. I don't think so!
We decided to go for a walk in the glorious grounds, only to be greeted by a mountain of rotting mattresses and scattered broken tables and chairs.
The food was ok and most of the staff were competent with the exception of the reception.

1 Thank tel123brig

Travellers are raving about these Peasmarsh hotels

peterborough, uk
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights a fortnight ago. The room allocated was spacious and most of staff pleasant enough. The receptionist dueing the day was really nice but the one in the evenings/early morning was not at all friendly, indeed you had to say good morning to her to get her to even acknowledge you!

Our room whilst spacious had an old tv in although it did work, although there were no instructions on how to get the channels you wanted etc. One of the windows you couldn't open at all and the other only opened slightly (certainly not enough if you needed to jump in case of a fire). The net curtains in the room had 3 large dead insects attached to them so cleaning is not high on their list either. The room contained an wardrobe whilst there were enough hangers the door made an horrendous racket when trying to open it. The decore left a lot to be desired and is tired and really does need a lick of paint.

My husband suffers from psoriasis and we always take extra covers for the pillows and am pleased we did as one of the pillow cases had a blood stain on it! One of the bedside tables was also broken.

We had Sunday Carvery upon arrival and whilst it wasn't bad I have had a lot better; the roast beef was either rare or rare, the young woman was very reluctant to cut the other end of the joint which seemed better cooked, so went without. Whilst this was a 3 star hotel the hotel wine list belonged to a hotel that was a 4*, we have several extremely good restaurants around here and none of them charge inflated prices like they do at this hotel.

The breakfasts were varied but again we have had better, far better in the Lake District with more choices. also the cooked breakfast was brought out before you had even finished your cereals so you had to either leave your cereals and eat your cooked breakfast or leave it to go cold. This does need to be addressed.

Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed here on a Groupon deal. Sunny afternoon, hotel looked stylish. Friendly welcome at reception. Walking to our room you were able to see why the hotel was offering special deals. Unfortunately it is need of a spruce up. Paintwork and carpets. Our bedroom was adequate, looking over the back garden. From the window it was refreshing to see a natural garden, clumps of primroses on banks. Furniture in room dated (expensive to buy 30 years ago).Used the spa facilities. Robe in wardrobe to use, towels in spa. Swimming pool, steam room, jacuzzi and sauna (separate men and women). Helpful staff. Breakfast was ok. Selection of fruit, cereals, pastries, juices Can order cooked breakfast. Have to toast your own bread. Hotel situated close to Rye. Enjoyed our stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

A girl friend and I went on a Groupon deal for 2 days. I am glad I didn't pay the full whack. Somebody said that the place was a little 'tired' and I would concur with that. It is also a bit unimaginative and if I was paying the full price, I would want something a bit smarter and thought through. The exception is the conservatory which is a beautiful addition, but comes off a random restaurant. We decided to give the restaurant a try on our first night and it was very disappointing. My friend had tiger prawns which cost £8.50 as a starter - when they came there were 5 little brown shrimps on a bit of muffin. We asked about them to be told that Tiger Prawns come in different sizes and these were with the shell off as most people prefer that! Seriously, these were no tiger prawns! My squash filled pasta parcels were just squashed! I could not see any squash in there at all! We wondered if it was because they knew we were Groupon customers! We chose not to eat there the following night because I want to have something gorgeous when I go to a hotel restaurant, not a 'rip -off' - sorry to say.
Our room was fine - the beds were comfy and we had tea/coffee facilities and water provided which was what I would expect. The walls are a little thin- my friend was disturbed by somebody's rhythmic snoring in the night! We had a little patio outside although it was too cold to use it, but that would be lovely in the warmer weather - it overlooked the garden. I put some wine out there on night one; on night two I went to get the next bottle and the door wouldn't open because the catch had now got stuck and the handle had disappeared? The cleaners must have done something! Had to get reception to come and help us!
The staff were very helpful and friendly when we had to get the towels changed, because they had been put on the side of the bath (not by us) and were soaking wet due to the shower which leaked continuously when I picked them up! Nothing was too much trouble for them which may be just as well!
The car park is not good - we got blocked in due to a conference having arrived on our second morning and it took ages to sort out so we could actually go out!
All in all, I would find somewhere else to stay in the Rye area next time.
I sat in the dining room and thought about what I would do to immediately improve it - lighting was one answer. The lighting needs to be up-lighters and wall fittings and softer lighting in there. Put fairy lights around the conservatory - I have done that with mine and it transforms it - if you can't have normal candles - get better battery candles and LOTS of them as they don't give out much light! Ambience is needed in the restaurant and while there are lovely arty pictures along the corridors, they are not lit, so impossible to see unless you really look.
The building is lovely from the outside and the reception area is well thought out and arranged with a lovely lounge. I just think it needs a spruce up with somebody who knows about styling and designer things.

1 Thank greeneyedmezzosop
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Had a brilliant Art Tuition Weekend. Facilities provided for us were excellent. Staff couldn't have been more helpful. Excellent food -real home cooking. Room a bit dated but overall very happy.
Good location near Rye in beautiful countryside.

1 Thank 123DINA123
London
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Nice hotel , good location , staff are extremely helpful & friendly , about 8 minutes to Rye
The Breakfast was especially nice , plenty of choice & waitress service , very good !
Hotel is a bit tired , and Spa could do with a re vamp . But apart from that , lovely & we would stay again well done !

2 Thank Victoria R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peasmarsh
The Hope Anchor Hotel
The Gallivant
The Gallivant
#1 of 1 in Camber
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,205 reviews

Been to Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!