“disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peasmarsh
Peasmarsh, United Kingdom
“disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

What used to be a very good hotel, at which twenty years ago we had a wonderrful wedding reception, is now to be avoided at all costs. The staff - when you could find them! - were pleasant but obviously lacked basic training. I took friends from overseas there but had to spend my time apologising to them.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We where looking forward to getting to this hotel, especially after the 7 hour drive. Good god, I could not have been more wrong. I stepped out the car only to be met by and filthy deep puddle that flooded my shoes in seconds! How the drive had been allowed to become in this state I do not know! I slowly trudged through the rain and got to the hotel door. Carrying all our heavy bags we dumped them on the floor, my 2 children came in and plonked themselves in the reception area. They also had wet feet and where well on the way to getting trench foot. Once the reception has sorted our rooms we were told to go and them with no assistance to help bring our bags up. Due to this we had to make two trips.

Eventually we got up into the room, exhausted and gasping for a glass of water. Opening the door I noticed there was a fire key on the door. I did not think much of it at the time until my wife said to me "what is that door". In curiosity I went over and expected it to be locked. To my absolute horror it opened and lead down into some grotty room with old furniture. In fright of someone walking in at night, I dragged the cupboard in front of the door. In doing this I managed to raise my safety by a small amount. Through out our stay we we slept with one eye open! Overall the room had a mouldy grotty feel to it, and on spotting the punch hole in the toilet door, we wondered what type of people stayed in this hotel! Feeling that our possessions were unsafe we locked our bags day and night!

Moving on to the food! The night of our arrival we were already pretty low due to our room, but of coarse we where made to feel even lower. I have eaten in a few dreadful restaurants, but this one just takes the biscuit. Beef wellington at £25, this price I am happy with at a luxurious restaurant, but when the food comes out on cold plates and you have to purchase the vegetables separately I was far from a happy chap, hence why we went for an indian and our second and last night of our stay!

Overall don't judge a book by its cover, ie ignore everything the website has to say!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jacob a

Travellers are raving about these Peasmarsh hotels

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Having stayed at this "luxurious country retreat" for 4 nights on a business trip, I'm just glad to say I didn't have to pay myself.

The hotel and furniture is tired and worn out.

The food is over priced - I'm no cheap skate but £25 for a beef wellington, is acceptable for an upscale city restaurant- but not a restaurant with no atmosphere. Not only this, but also Wellington in itself was served on it's own, with no vegetables or accompaniments. The breakfast was edible, but slightly lacking in quality, the best part of my trip other than the enthusiastic staff, was the carvery I experienced for a well priced £10. A good choice of meat and well prepared accompaniments.

The pool and leisure area was well equipped, but slightly lacking in cleanliness. The low of the trip was the rude greeting of the pool assistant, who persisted to be rude to me and my son.

The room itself lacked any character, and if you could give the room a character it would be "knackered". Lacking in a proper shower, robes and the only thing the room provided was a view of the chain smoking chefs from the remnants of the worn kitchen.

If 2 star hotels are your thing, this is the place to stay. But even so, for a third of this hotel's outrageous price you could stay in a much simpler and cleaner, travel lodge or equivalent. The surrounding area is lacking any entertainment, other than a country walk and a decent curry house.

The positive was the extremely friendly and welcoming manageress or whatever this lady's authority was she seemed to help us with our sunday lunch experience.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel, not only for it's quality, but for the shocking price, I cannot believe people have paid to stay at an establishment of this type.

Room Tip: Anything without a view of the kitchen.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Toby E
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had been staying elsewhere in area and had several problems were actually going home friend on FB suggested Flackley Ash so looked on line and then rang. Booked room for following night which included our pet dachshund Fleur. Arrived early sat in bar had wonderful sandwiches, wine and coffee for lunch very comfortable and Fleur was welcome in bar area. We sat and relaxed until our room was ready, room was lovely comfortable etc. had dinner in evening and so Fleur could sit with us they set up a table in bar including beautiful white cloth and candle just as in adjacent restaurant. Food was delicious we had the crab trio as starter, beef Wellington and salmon as our mains and shared a delicious apple and blackberry crumble for dessert. We also sat and had coffe. It was a delight to sit and feel comfortable with our little dog and enjoy such lovely food. Breakfast following morning they had pre set table for us in bar, selection of continental was extremely good and choice of cooked breakfasts was great. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our short stay made to feel welcome, staff wonderful, friendly, helpful. Will definitely go again for a short break.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Xxyyzzww
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a characterful Georgian house with considerable extension. Our room was clean, tidy and quiet if slightly tired in decor (a theme that seems to run into the hotel's common areas). Looking at other reviews, I assume it's down to luck if you get a decent room. Certainly ours was fine.

The staff were very friendly indeed and keen to help, providing a baby monitor service to allow us to enjoy an evening meal. The restaurant food was better than your hotel average and breakfast a generous and varied buffet along with the full English option.

Overall, the price of the room was fair considering the proximity to attractions such as Rye. Package in the staff's willingness to help (especially with reference to our baby monitor and so getting an evening off) and we would stay again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BsidetheC
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've recently returned from a most fabulous and relaxing weekend staying at the Flackley Ash Hotel in Peasmarsh near Rye. I had booked in for an art weekend being held at the hotel. We arrived on Friday afternoon and stayed until early evening on Sunday, enjoying fabulous food, comfortable rooms and very congenial staff and surroundings. The staff did everything they could to make our stay memorable and relaxing in every way. The food was amazing, with generous portions and a good choice of dishes to suit every taste (but maybe not my waistline!). The grounds were very pretty and well maintained and we made good use of the spa facilities which were clean and relaxing. The rooms were well maintained and very comfortable, enabling a sound night's sleep. Thank you to the staff at the hotel for making my stay a very enjoyable one. I shall definitely be back for the next art weekend -I still have a few more walls to fill with paintings! This review is accurate - we did actually stay at this hotel! I'm not sure where some of the other reviewers stayed!

Room Tip: Some rooms have a patio which opens out onto the lawn.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank psast
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I run art classes here for 15-20 guests several times a year for £195 pp including accommodation and all food plus the lessons for 2 days. I would like to do the same in other locations in England, but I think for the price and the quality I would be hard pushed to find a better hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, the food is all home cooked and amazing and the rooms are beautiful and clean. All my art guests give 4 & 5 stars feedback for the art weekend. Don't take any notice of the bad comments, in my opinion they either just want a freebie or they are the competition. Remember anyone can comment on here even if they haven't been to a place.
This hotel is beautiful and worth a visit!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peasmarsh
The Hope Anchor Hotel
The Gallivant
The Gallivant
#1 of 1 in Camber
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,181 reviews

Been to Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!