“Shame about the Disability Access”

Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peasmarsh
Hove, United Kingdom
“Shame about the Disability Access”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were guests at a family celebration.i can't fault the overall experience
Our food was superb, as was the helpfulness of all the staff. They went to a huge effort to make my visit( in a wheelchair) as comfortable as possible.
I understand that the building is listed, but in this day and age , to have to traverse a gravel path, then garden to access a Loo that could facilitate my disability needs was uncomfortable and slightly embarrassing. Thank goodness it was a dry day, if it had been wet, we'd been like drowned rats!!
Having said that , I really appreciated the managers efforts to facilitate my needs.
We required ramps to access the hotel and then again to the restaurant, and again , whilst the staff did everything in their power to make me feel comfortable, it was a very embarrassing situation to have to wait for people to lug about large heavy ramps. Surely there must be an easier way round this. Once seated at the table I felt " trapped" as they had to take away the ramps.I waited as long as humanly possible on a very hot day before asking for them to be replaced so I could be moved to a cooler spot,( everyone else was able to pop out side or up the step to the cooler part of the room,whenever they felt the need) sadly this meant once I was up the step, then out of the hotel( to pop to the loo) I felt I had to go home as there was no way I'd ask them to put the ramps back again
This is no reflection on the kindness of all the staff involved, and although I realise we wheelchair users are in the minority, it s a pity that what seems like a very nice hotel is severely lacking in being wheelchair friendly

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Popped in, but won't be returning. It is an lovely old building but it looks like no money has been spent for about 20 years. Everything is shabby, dirty and falling to pieces. Staff are pleasant enough, but clearly haven't been trained.

Oh dear!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank mj1815

Travellers are raving about these Peasmarsh hotels

Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Brought a group here and had absolutely no complaints from all 30 people! Brilliant service from the welcome and porterage, to the spa, drinks and dinner. The food was excellent too. Yes, some of the decor may not be cutting edge but the service and smiles most certainly are. This is a proper, charming hotel, way better than any chain.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Peasmarsh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

What used to be a very good hotel, at which twenty years ago we had a wonderrful wedding reception, is now to be avoided at all costs. The staff - when you could find them! - were pleasant but obviously lacked basic training. I took friends from overseas there but had to spend my time apologising to them.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We where looking forward to getting to this hotel, especially after the 7 hour drive. Good god, I could not have been more wrong. I stepped out the car only to be met by and filthy deep puddle that flooded my shoes in seconds! How the drive had been allowed to become in this state I do not know! I slowly trudged through the rain and got to the hotel door. Carrying all our heavy bags we dumped them on the floor, my 2 children came in and plonked themselves in the reception area. They also had wet feet and where well on the way to getting trench foot. Once the reception has sorted our rooms we were told to go and them with no assistance to help bring our bags up. Due to this we had to make two trips.

Eventually we got up into the room, exhausted and gasping for a glass of water. Opening the door I noticed there was a fire key on the door. I did not think much of it at the time until my wife said to me "what is that door". In curiosity I went over and expected it to be locked. To my absolute horror it opened and lead down into some grotty room with old furniture. In fright of someone walking in at night, I dragged the cupboard in front of the door. In doing this I managed to raise my safety by a small amount. Through out our stay we we slept with one eye open! Overall the room had a mouldy grotty feel to it, and on spotting the punch hole in the toilet door, we wondered what type of people stayed in this hotel! Feeling that our possessions were unsafe we locked our bags day and night!

Moving on to the food! The night of our arrival we were already pretty low due to our room, but of coarse we where made to feel even lower. I have eaten in a few dreadful restaurants, but this one just takes the biscuit. Beef wellington at £25, this price I am happy with at a luxurious restaurant, but when the food comes out on cold plates and you have to purchase the vegetables separately I was far from a happy chap, hence why we went for an indian and our second and last night of our stay!

Overall don't judge a book by its cover, ie ignore everything the website has to say!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jacob a
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Having stayed at this "luxurious country retreat" for 4 nights on a business trip, I'm just glad to say I didn't have to pay myself.

The hotel and furniture is tired and worn out.

The food is over priced - I'm no cheap skate but £25 for a beef wellington, is acceptable for an upscale city restaurant- but not a restaurant with no atmosphere. Not only this, but also Wellington in itself was served on it's own, with no vegetables or accompaniments. The breakfast was edible, but slightly lacking in quality, the best part of my trip other than the enthusiastic staff, was the carvery I experienced for a well priced £10. A good choice of meat and well prepared accompaniments.

The pool and leisure area was well equipped, but slightly lacking in cleanliness. The low of the trip was the rude greeting of the pool assistant, who persisted to be rude to me and my son.

The room itself lacked any character, and if you could give the room a character it would be "knackered". Lacking in a proper shower, robes and the only thing the room provided was a view of the chain smoking chefs from the remnants of the worn kitchen.

If 2 star hotels are your thing, this is the place to stay. But even so, for a third of this hotel's outrageous price you could stay in a much simpler and cleaner, travel lodge or equivalent. The surrounding area is lacking any entertainment, other than a country walk and a decent curry house.

The positive was the extremely friendly and welcoming manageress or whatever this lady's authority was she seemed to help us with our sunday lunch experience.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel, not only for it's quality, but for the shocking price, I cannot believe people have paid to stay at an establishment of this type.

Room Tip: Anything without a view of the kitchen.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Toby E
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had been staying elsewhere in area and had several problems were actually going home friend on FB suggested Flackley Ash so looked on line and then rang. Booked room for following night which included our pet dachshund Fleur. Arrived early sat in bar had wonderful sandwiches, wine and coffee for lunch very comfortable and Fleur was welcome in bar area. We sat and relaxed until our room was ready, room was lovely comfortable etc. had dinner in evening and so Fleur could sit with us they set up a table in bar including beautiful white cloth and candle just as in adjacent restaurant. Food was delicious we had the crab trio as starter, beef Wellington and salmon as our mains and shared a delicious apple and blackberry crumble for dessert. We also sat and had coffe. It was a delight to sit and feel comfortable with our little dog and enjoy such lovely food. Breakfast following morning they had pre set table for us in bar, selection of continental was extremely good and choice of cooked breakfasts was great. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our short stay made to feel welcome, staff wonderful, friendly, helpful. Will definitely go again for a short break.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Xxyyzzww
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peasmarsh
The Mermaid Inn
River Haven Hotel
The Gallivant
The Gallivant
#1 of 1 in Camber

Been to Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!