“Fish and chips the best.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kalky's
Ranked #5 of 27 Restaurants in Kalk Bay
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast food
Good for: View, Cheap Eats, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hove, United Kingdom
“Fish and chips the best.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

If you want good old fashion fish and chips with no frills this is the place to go.lovely.Its not the best looking property in the world but the fish is good nosh.

Visited March 2014

• Polish first
San Francisco, California
“Very tasty fish, relaxed atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

This restaurant is right by the harbor at Kalk Bay. It has no fancy decorations, no fancy tables etc. But the food is simply great. I ordered the snoek and chips. Cost only R48 (less than $5 US) and it tasted great! Beer is less than $2. Get an outdoor table, enjoy the ocean breeze with a nice view and great food.

• Visited March 2014
Cardiff
“Who needs fancy restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had originally intended having lunch at the highly acclaimed adjacent hotel. We had waited several minutes for staff to show us to a table, but to no avail. I had seen the crowds of locals at the little harbour café, so decided to join them.
A very "normal" and unpretentious place. You order your meal at the counter, are give a numbered ticket, help yourself to cutlery, find a seat, and wait for a good humoured waitress to arrive with your food.
And what food it was. My hake was white, fresh caught sweet, perfectly steamed in its wonderful
crispy, (not oily) batter.The portion was huge, but I ate every last morsel. The chips were perfect, and remained crunchy, even when they were cold. We don`t get fish `n chips like this anymore in the U.K.
The wife had ordered pickled fish and chips. This is a Cape Malay speciality. Hake is pickled with onions, and a vinegar and curry sauce. I love pickles, and adore curry, but in 44 years of visiting The Cape, had never ever tasted it. My wife said that is was the best she had ever eaten, and convinced me to try it. I was an instant convert. Even took same home.
We shared one of the long communal tables with a group of locals. We were soon chatting away as if we had known each other for years.A great experience.
Kalky`s is obviously modelled on the original Snookie`s in Hout Bay. It has however remained truer to its roots, and, for that reason, is much more enjoyable.
Will certainly return, for super tasty food, at bargain basement prices.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Raymond F
Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Ripping off tourist one Rand at a time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife and I went to get the famous fish and chips. After ordering we were told a price and when the credit card was swiped the price was rounded up several Rand. We asked why and they said that's what they do. I said that's stealing and the register person called the owner over and I told him that what he was doing was steeling and he kicked us out for questioning his illegal charges. I said I had no problem if there was a surcharge for a credit card, but to simply round up after seeing the prices on the board is criminal.
We went next door, across the way, and ordered the same fish and chips and sodas for the same quoted prices and paid only that amount. With a smile. Great food and atmosphere elsewhere. Tourist beware of Kalky's.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Jeffrey M
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Fish & Chips with ATMOSPHERE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I was taken to Kalky's by a Cape Town expat, it is a local institution, a basic diner serving mostly the African market but the odd tourist pops in .
You queue up in a line stretching for 50 m at peak times when you get to the counter you can choose a vast range of seafood , we had Lobster , calamari and some local fish delicacies with a big serve of chips and a drink for about A$11 each , a feast for a bargain price.
Another colorful aspect is the security guards chasing away the beggars that come to your table with tales of woe and requests for money, the strict waitress's shoo them away and call security to see off the most persistent
A real cultural experience with great food and a side show too, what more could you ask for lunch, finish it off with a walk on the wharf and watch the fishing boats unload their catches
and you get a great feel for Kalk Bay