The Old Stone Trough
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsyorkshire daleslancashire breakfastmain buildingexecutive roomstone troughevening mealnext morningexcellent value for moneygreat place to staywedding partyblack puddingdefinitely stay here againshower roombar areaone night staythe ground floorbit dated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed at the Hotel last week & cannot reccomend enough the experience. Working through the Menu was a delight. The staff go that little bit extra to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Thank you

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Stayed here on 29th December 2011 as part of a wedding party.
I double-checked beforehand to ensure I had a room booked as the bride had done this on my behalf and suggested double-checking. There was quite a lot of umming and ahhing as to whether I had a room booked or not, which did not give me much faith in the hotel generally. Eventually the booking was confirmed.
The wedding celebrations took place in the upstairs room which could do with re-decorating but was functional enough for the occasion.
The food was excellent. We started with vegetable soup, followed by roast beed and all the trimmings. Veg was served seperately on each table with there being more than enough for everyone. More beef, yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes were offered around during the meal, which was nice. Dessert was apple pie and cream, which considering the OH ate both mine and his (I don't like apples), it must have been good!
Service at the bar was quick and efficient, with drinks prices being nowhere near as expensive as I expected. Two pints of Carling and a pint of Stella was only £9.50! Very impressed.
There was some down time between the meal and night do, so I took this opportunity to check-in. I had been informed on the phone that check-in was not until 2pm, which was fine as we could leave the bags in the car anyway.
We were allocated room 17 - a Club Room. Although small, it had everyhing you could need. There are also executive rooms which I believe have a bath and a shower, with the club rooms only having a shower, which is quite a small cubicle.
The night do also took place in the upstairs room which now accommodated a dancefloor. Later on, bacon and sausage sandwiches were provided, which were also very good. Excellent bar service continued throughout the night.
On the downside, the room was boiling all night. We had to have the window wide open, which did little to cool it down. The bed was also very small - I am thinking it was a 3/4. However, it was very comfortable. For me, this means rock hard, so some may not be too keen on that.
The hospitality tray provided the biggest mugs I have ever come across in a hotel room - perfect! No messing around with tiny teacups here!
Breakfast is served 7am-9.30am weekday mornings, so no need to get up too early. It's waitress service for the hot breakfast, tea and coffee, with everything else being self-service. The full English was very good. There were also the ingredients for a continental breakfast if you wished and even peanut butter was provided!! (A plus as far as I'm concerned!)
All in all it was an enjoyable day, evening and stay, with check-in and out being quick and efficient. I would even consider having my wedding celebrations here and wouldn't hesitate in recommending to others.

Room Tip: As the shower cubicles are quite small in the club rooms, an executive room may be better if you want more room throughout.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We had an executive room in the block behind the main hotel, which was roomy, comfortable and well heated. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. We ate in the restaurant which again was cosy and comfortable and the food was good and reasonably priced. A good base for touring the area.
Very good value for money.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are much roomier for only a few pounds more
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I liked my stay at the Old stone trough. Friendly staff, nice facilities, off beat location. The menu for vegetarians at the restaurant needs a revamp - currently there are just 2-3 choices for vegetarians.

Room Tip: ask for new rooms
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BRIYR
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Stayed with all the family for cousin's wedding for whole weekend. Nothing was too much for the staff and the wedding celebrations were superb. I am disabled as I walk with crutches and after mentioning this in booking I was given an accessible room with no steps to any of the main areas. The wedding celebrations were upstairs but as there are toilet facilities up there as well then you only have to go up the once. All the staff are very friendly and the position of the hotel makes you feel that you are right out on the moors but it only took 20 mins to get to the centre of Burnley for the Registry office. There were about 40 of us staying for the weekend and as we live in Cornwall we stayed an extra night and the staff were the same friendly happy crowd when there was just the 2 of us as when all the family were there
We can really recommend the food even if you don't stay - all food is cooked to order and is hot and quite a choice. All the breakfasts were also cooked to order - none of this keeping warm over hot plates. Considering the numbers of us on Saturday and Sunday this was no mean feat especially as on Saturday when we all had also to get to the Registry office on time. Well done to all the staff - I would love to go back again at some stage and have no problem recommending it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ring the hotel and let them know your requirements so they will arrange the most appropriate room for you
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family