“finest steeds around”

Tregoyd Mountain Riders
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Having ridden here since i was about 3ft tall with the PGL holidays on a small pony called fudge, i kept on coming back for quite sometime riding more and more of the horses they have available with some very good leaders along the way.

I would highly recommend this place for anyone who wishes to ride some of the best bridleways and common land you will find in the country. :) They cater for all abilities and ages. Horses from ones by your knees for them teeny people to the larger 18hh horses for the larger variety.

The horse B&B is also a brilliant service which allows you to take your own horse and enjoy the riding (with or without a guide) from a seat you are comfy in. :) Haydn is a super awesome cook. be it breakfast of evening meals. YUMMY!!!!!!

Staff all very friendly, local pub, The three horse shoes is just brilliant, food is amazing and you can choose the music. brilliant!!!!

The welsh weather is much to be desired, so pack a rain coat and you will be good to go!!! :)

1  Thank MarysisPluto
There are newer reviews for Tregoyd Mountain Riders

Reviewed 28 August 2012

I returned again to the wonderfull Tregoyd Mountain Riders staying with Haydn at the B&B which was warm, cosy and like a home from home. I did 3 Full days of Riding 2 of which i got to Ride Merlin as before..... On the first day we covered a fair bit on ground really getting out there to see the wonderful sceenary only 3 of us and had a pinic out as did we on the second day also with Sarah. Sarah our guide was fantasic. Again all of these guides really know their stuff and their horses and will get the best out of what you wish to acheive on your ride. On my last day i joined the hacking group for the day which was at a slightly faster pace more cantering and a fast canter at the end which took my breath away (thanks to my wonderful guide sorry forgot your name). What can i say these guys have helped my riding and confidence to really come on... but even if your not a rider GIVE THIS A GO! you won't be disapointed. I intend on taking my 8 yr old daughter there some time and i shall definately be back you won't stop me now. Thanks so much guys....keep up the really fantasic work you do.

3  Thank ellysg1
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Just returned from a long weekend and one day spent trekking. My sister and I did the full day pub ride whilst my mother and one year old daughter visited the area. The riding was fantastic and as the group was small and all experienced we had a brilliant time with a good mix of walk, trott & canter. The scenery is stunning and you get the best of the views. The horses were perfect and our guide (Helen) was brilliant...making sure we were all safe and happy and telling us about the area. The B&B is lovely and Hayden and the team made it really enjoyable, I was concerned about how it would be with a toddler but she was well taken care of even getting her breakfast from Hayden at 7am! With plenty to do on the farm and in the surrounding area we had a fantastic time and are already planning our next trip back!

1  Thank Hannah_l82
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Two friends and I decided to book a 2nd visit to TMR. The 1st visit was excellent - the B&B was very good with great breakfasts (agree with earlier comments about Hayden) and the rides were as expected - lots of walking, some trotting and a few canters. Even though the weather was awful, we had a good time and decided to book a 2nd ride for 2 of us - we decided we wanted to canter more and to do so would book a private day ride at £79. It was suggested to us that we ask for the ponies we had ridden on our 2nd day and also that we request a specific guide (the one we had established some rapport with - because she understood our experience and requirements). We didn't mind the cost given our conversation and expectations.

The 2nd ride was good in part - my friend Angela called twice to confirm if the ponies and also the guide would be available. When we arrived, we found the guide was not working that day but we had been given the ponies we'd asked for. The morning was excellent but the afternoon was disappointing (mainly walking, 1 and 1/2 canters and a tiny bit of trotting) and given the cost, we both felt a little cheated. As the ponies were being moved from the upper to lower stables (for business reasons) it felt that the afternoon ride was tailored to meet this need rather than ours. We were advised by our guide that we would canter around the field when we got to the lower stables but this did not happen. It was a hot morning but by the afternoon, it was overcast and cooler.

Upon contacting TMR to give our feedback and also to ask if anything could be done to make up for our disappointment, the lady from TMR advised that they could not do anything because our experience was as expected for the day-ride. This feels quite out-of-synch with modern businesses, where the common approach is to listen to customer feedback (we didn't feel able to give this on the day) and if possible, act upon it.

I would recommend that riders wanting a day-ride (with a consistent morning and afternoon) book a hack to avoid disappointment - it's also cheaper at £72 - or try somewhere else. The lady from TMR says that she is going to discourage anyone else from booking on the day-ride. It's such a shame as I would like to go back to TMR but don't feel I can. I still feel let-down by the afternoon experience and the unwillingless to listen / respond to customers.

1  Thank LadyBoyd23
Haydn J, Owner at Tregoyd Mountain Riders, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for the taking the time to submit a review. Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your ride with us last week. The price for our full day ride is normally £59.00 per person, but because you requested a private ride for just the two of you and a guide there was a supplement of £20.00 per person which was explained at the time of booking. We always try as far as possible to meet clients' requests, it was just unfortunate that on the day the guide you requested was off sick.

Our full day rides are mainly at walk and trot with the occasional canter, as experienced during your previous stay with us.

We hope that this has not put you off from joining us again for one of our hacks which are for experienced riders only, with plenty of exhilerating canters across the hills.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

This was the third year we have visited and it was amazing! All the staff are so helpful and friendly. The rooms are comfortable and spacious the bathrooms clean and tidy and the breakfast delicious! We took our own horses and the fields are plenty big enough. A big thank you to you all - we'll definately be back

2  Thank countrysideaddict