“Hospitality of hosts is top-notch”

Murphy's Tourist Home and Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tignish
Murphy's Tourist Home and Cottages
Ranked #1 of 3 Tignish B&B and Inns
Big Prairie, Ohio
“Hospitality of hosts is top-notch”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

In late August-early September 2012, my husband and I bicycled the Confederation Trail. Searching for a B&B in Tignish from which to start our trip, my husband found Murphy’s Tourist Home & Cottages. He had a lengthy phone call with Peter, one of the owners, from our home in the U.S. Peter answered all of our early questions about the trail and was so flexible and personable over the phone that we happily booked a room with him and Louise.
We stayed in the queen bedroom that is part of Peter and Louise’s B&B. The four upstairs bedrooms in their home are named and decorated for each of the four seasons. Highlighting the décor are the beautiful quilts Louise has pieced and sewn. Breakfast was delicious, filling, and bicyclist-friendly: plenty of protein.
I could end this review here, just stating how well-taken care of we were by Peter and Louise, but that would not do justice to this hard-working, energetic, humble, and friendly couple.
Louise offered us the use of her washer-dryer so we could start our bike trip with clean clothes and the use of their phone (long distance) so we could make a reservation for our first night on the Trail. Peter offered us the use of a hose to wash off 1,750 miles of road grime and a secure garage to keep our bikes overnight. After describing our hopes for our trip – to bicycle the Island from one end to the other and then back to Tignish – Peter said with a twinkle, “When you decide you can’t ride any longer, call me and I’ll pick you up.” Sure enough, eight days later we did just that. Peter and Louise picked us up at a point on the Trail, along with our bikes. To be sure, we compensated them for this service, but we were relieved from Day One of our trip to know that we had Peter backing us up. As well, Peter and Louise welcomed us to leave our vehicle on their property for the whole time we were on our bicycles. We were grateful knowing our car was secure at someone’s home and not in a parking lot.
When Peter and Louise brought us back to Tignish we stayed one more night with them – this time in one of their twin bedrooms. This room, too, was comfortable and homey. Fair disclosure: there was not a tub associated with either room we stayed in, just a stall shower in each. The rooms are small as one might expect in a renovated farmhouse. The home was impeccably clean. We also appreciated the wireless internet service.
One last observation: on our last night with this couple, we were joined by three others staying at the B&B. Louise made us all hot tea and coffee; someone brought out a bottle of wine; and we sat around their dining room table sharing laughter and stories.
Stay here for very meaningful hospitality. In this case, it is the warmth of the hosts that make Murphy’s Tourist Home & Cottages your best bet in Tignish.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank letterboxer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Stayed in Cottage # 2. Not well maintained. Storm door was dangerous due to strength of door closure. Had to use 1 hand to hold door at all times. Coffee pot was very noisy. No internet access inside cabin, had to sit on porch. Earwigs were inside cabin. Place was clean and tidy. Bed was OK.
Cabins were over priced. Poor hospitality. Owners did not introduce themselves. Would not stay here again. No photos or pictorials online of inside cabins.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed here in July because a family member was getting married. When I inspected our cabin after arriving there were dirty towels in our bathroom. (When I told the owner she did come right over and get ride of them). Coffee maker was so dirty i didn't bother to use it even though I wanted coffee. We stayed in Cabin number 3 and the bathroom was SO small that you would have to squeeze in by the skin to get to the toilet. The shower was only warm for about 5 minutes both days that I had a shower. The bed was so hard that sleeping on it wasn't an option so ended up laying there half the night wishing that I was home in a comfy bed. Sheets were ruff. (probably because they are hung on the clothes line) Also when sitting out at night there were about 50-75 bats that were coming out of a space on the side of the man house (this is used as an B&B) by the chimney so we couldn't enjoy the evening without bats flying all around us.

The owner said that he was aware of the problem. (So why is there still a problem is what I ask myself).

Overall it wasn't the worse place I have ever stayed. Would I stay again? Probably not.

Room Tip: Cabin number 2 and 4 had much more room in the bathroom if you are heavier.(190 lbs and up) Ask if t...