“Terrible Experience - Never go there !!”

Cili Emas Oceanside Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Tejakula
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I was planning to spend 3 nights at Cili Emas with my wife as part of our honeymoon. I chose it because I found very good reviews for it however what I saw was completely different. Firstly the location is far away more than you can imagine and it's totally disconnected from any life outside, which means that you are obliged to take their food because you cannot simply go outside the hotel. The place is not clean at all, we found many lizards running around us while we were having dinner, one of the other guests found a lizard on his knee while he was eating. The rooms are missing the very basic criteria for any hotel/motel room, it has nothing except for bed and small closet and an old box fan( which are in very bad condition ). The room is not having even a telephone, so if you want anything you have to go to the reception. The bathroom is not even equipped with any shampoo/shower gel, it only has a bar soap which is already used before. Quality of the bed is very bad and we couldn't even sleep taking into consideration that I booked the Lumbung Villa which is the best category they have. They have a very strange system in the restaurant where all the guests in the hotel should all have their meals together on one table which is not convenient at all. As well they have set menu for lunch & dinner so you are again obliged to eat whatever they cooked regardless you like it or not. The pool is very bad, very dirty and small. They don't accept credit / debit cards and they only accept cash, and the closest ATM is 40 minutes away and it only accepts Mastercard. The beach is very small and it's having black dirty rocks, so you cannot even take a walk on the beach.

Overall, I don't recommend this place by all means. It's the worst hotel I seen ever.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Khalifa85

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We wanted a place away from the hussle of South Bali and chose Cili Emas based on traveller's review. We were definately not disappointed. In fact it surpassed our expectations. We were travelling with our 8 month old and wanted somewhere we could relax and have some peace of mind. The bamboo bungalows were beautiful, right on the beach with the welcoming sea breeze. They had a cot ready for our daughter. The owners and the Balinese staff were all so friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the walks through the village, the amazing spa treatments, pool and the day out. We are vegetarian and the food was healthy, fresh and delicious.

We were definitely able to unwind! We are looking forward to return.

Room Tip: We were recommended a single bungalow and think that is a good idea when travelling with one child.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Cili Emas is truly paradise. Jochen and Nicole (Putu) knew what they were doing when they converted an old artist's camp into a resort haven. When one leaves, it is with the question: How soon can I come back? And how much longer can I stay next time?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Every time, when I set foot on this small piece of earth I feel so comfortable. I always find it hard to leave again. It magically draws me like a magnet. Nicole & Jochen are just incredible, what wonderful oasis they have created. It is probably the love to detail here that keeps fascinating me so much. Everytime I visit I find new wonderful things. So far, I have traveled quite a lot for many years on this island and have often stayed at some higher priced accommodation … None of these could live up to “Cili Emas”. On an island like Bali, it is extraordinary to create and offer such high standard of cleanliness, service, sanitation, food quality, inventory maintenance etc. Thus, anyone who knows the conditions here will see that it is hard work and a lot of commitment of two passionate professionals. Now, I appreciate all these amenities even more. Therefore, I´m very grateful that there is this little oasis, where I feel at home, can dangle my soul, and have pleasant contact with other guests.

As for the culinary offer … Despite liking the Indonesian cuisine, I´m absolutely happy that they offer also delicious fusion cuisine as a welcoming change. Healthy, delicious, fresh, creative and natural ... what more would you want? Oh yes .. I´m very demanding and picky regarding food , but I’ve never had a reason to complain. So sometimes, even though I’m full, I simply overeat. Good thing…however, there are plenty of opportunities here to burn off those calories or get the love handles heavenly massaged.

I can only repeat myself that the location of the resort in the north is as a nature lover and independent traveler like me just perfect. Here I remember why I love Bali so much. The harmony with nature is just wonderful ... it´s fantastic to listen to the sound of the sea, the birds chirping in the beautiful garden, the nightly frog concerts and the subtle background sounds of village life. Anyone who doesn’t like any of this, should consider to stay in the south … in my opinion there (in the south) is no authentic and real Bali life left, just look at party capital Kuta.
I always try to write my review based on how much I pay for the accommodation and what I get for it. I take a look at websites as well in order to see how hotels present themselves, e.g. facilities, location, service and then I can decide for myself how it is in reality. "Cili Emas" deserves my personal sixth star for “brilliant performance” in this price category!

A big thanks to Nicole, Jochen and the rest of the fantastic crew for this wonderful and pleasant stay once again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sternseglerin A
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Based on the tremendous amount of outstanding reviews, we spend a few relaxing days in the north of Bali. And what shall we say: All our (high) expectations were fully met if not exceeded. The heartlines, professionalism and passion of the owner Nicole and Jochen and the entire local Balinese staff is indeed outstanding. After our days in Cili Emas we left happy, deeply relaxed, and promised to come back soon.
To be clear: don't expect a luxus resort with picture-perfect white sands. Tejakula is a small fishing village with a typical north-balinese beach of black pebbles. But this also implies: no traffic noise, no t-shirt shops, no tourist crowds, just some lonely frog or rooster crying in the neighbourhood. And Nicole and Jochen have turned their place into a little paradise for everyone in search for relaxation, warmly chats and great and healthy food. The garden is beautifully designed, lush green and full of plants, flowers and little ponds. You instantly notice their eye for the detail. This principle is also reflected in the clean and open bungalows, where we especially loved the open-sky hot rain shower. We never felt we needed the provided safety boxes and applied the common open door policy, supported by the friendly and trustful atmosphere in the resort. Everybody smiles and you can feel that Nicole's and Jochen's way of treating their staff is very fair and supportive.
Most of the time we simply relaxed at the beautiful pool and sometimes borrowed some snorkling gear and enjoyed the few nice corals just 20 meters away from the beach. Later we took the opportunity to go out with a fisherman on his boat (organized by Cili Emas at cost to support the local community) to see the sunrise and watch him do his work. We even were so lucky to spot some dolphins!
And, the food is simply amazing! Fresh fruits and veggies, a nice pinapple-banana-coconut-pancake, self-made lemon-ginger marmelade and delicious freshly baked real ruye buns with self-made tofu-topping make a great breakfast. Thus, we mostly skipped lunch as we were still full from the morning but the more we longed for their complimentary dinner (PS: Not included in the standard room rate, if not wanted one can say so, though). And, once again, even though we had high expectations we were not disappointed. Nicole and Jochen get the seafood for the evening meals directly from the local fishermen so you can be sure it is fresh. And so delicious! We enjoyed all of the tasty and healthy meals (fresh ingredients, less fat and sugar) and the various smoothies you can choose from. Maybe this is not the right place for meat lovers, but for us it was just perfect!
Dinner was always served at the large family table so we quickly got to know everybody and had long, entertaining and interesting chats every evening. We instantly felt like visiting friends.
Thank you very much!
Inge & Sascha, Germany

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sascha B
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Read the great reviews by others, booked the recommended wooded bungalow ... and then was very, very disappointed.

Yes, the accommodation is very pleasant and clean and the staff are very helpful, but ... and there are some big buts!

Cili Emas is a 'boutique resort' in the sense that its small and tucked away. Not in the sense that its luxurious, has a quality fit-out and excellent service.

Cili Emas is not a quiet place to stay. During the day, construction work on the adjoining land (literally only a meter away from our bungalow) rather shattered the illusion of 'paradise'. At night (every night) the local dogs barked incessantly, until around 4am the very numerous roosters (kept for cock-fighting) started to crow. My first good night's sleep was at a mega-resort in Kuta on our way home! Talking with other guests at meal times confirmed our experience was common. The meals are not particularly private either. We had a couple of occasions where staff just walked up onto our veranda when we were half-dressed.

Then for some reason (Cili Emas's web site perhaps) we had expected fresh, well repaired local fare. Breakfasts were great - local fruits, freshly baked rolls, home made jams and terrific omelettes and pancakes. But dinners (and there really is no alternative to having dinner at Cili Emas if you want to enjoy a sit-down meal and chat with the other guests) that are not included in the tariff were - awful. For some reason the owners think their guests come to Bali to eat spaghetti marina cooked by Balinese. Ironically the owners commented that the Balinese staff wouldn't eat the western meals they prepared - and I don't blame them. I took to walking about 2 km into the local village and enjoying the local street food (satay, sticky rice, etc - really good, fresh, local food) late afternoon and skipping dinner.

And then there's the beach. Yes, I knew it would be black sand and a bit grotty. With so many white sand beaches elsewhere, It was just dumb of me to book at a beach resort where the beach was un-usable.

On a positive note, there is more to see and do that Cili Emas's web site indicates. We very much enjoyed exploring the coast to both the east and west on a Cili Emas scooter (well maintained and reasonable) and did some diving through a 'sister resort' just 15 minutes away (mind you we had to get ourselves and our gear there, and it was then very expensive).

Finally, payment is only accepted in cash. This is simply a pain given that the nearest ATM that recognises Mastercard is roughly 40 minutes away by scooter.

In summary, this resort looks tempting and clearly suits some folk, but as world travellers (enjoying everything from bushwalking in NZ, to motorcycle touring in Morocco, to luxing it in Milan), we could not recommend this resort to anyone interested in a peaceful get-away, good food and good service.

Room Tip: There are no 'good' (quiet) rooms
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John T
Reviewed 28 December 2013

As I am writing this review I'm actually at Cili Emas - for the third time in 1,5 years! I don't even know where to start to describe this little piece of heaven. I do not just love the place and atmosphere but also the German owners Nicole and Jochen, so for some good reasons I keep coming back;)

Location: It is far away from all touristic places, so it will take you 3 hours from the airport to get here. On the way here you can see beautiful mountains, stop at temples, rice paddies, or just enjoy the wonderful landscapes. They conveniently organize a driver for you. Last year a friend of mine and I stopped in Ubud for a couple of days before coming here, so you can also slowly work your way up to Tejakula. The black sand beach is an active fisherman beach as you can see on the website.

Food: Absolutely amazing. Very healthy, fresh and delicious! Great health drink selection. For lunch they have a small selection of stuff you can order whenever you want. Dinner is a pre-set menu on a communal table. So the atmosphere is always very relaxed, open, and quite quickly you feel part of a bigger group, which is very nice, especially for people who are traveling alone. If you have dietary wishes they will take great care of you (I'm vegan for example). The fish they serve has always been caught on the same day by local fishermen. Nicole is also a health coach, so ask for the acid-alkaline detox! I did it last year and can only recommend it!

Rooms and Resort: The entire resort, including the rooms aka. bungalows, the little yoga pavilion and the spa, is ridiculously beautifully furnished. So much love to details! Even the soap in the bathrooms is unique: locally made with exotic ingredients - also a perfect souvenir (last year I bought like 20 little pieces home with me - best Bali gift;)) Bathrooms mostly have an open roof (depends on the room) which I love, so you can look right into garden Eden. Definitely try the massages at the spa, too good to be true! I can recommend the Balinese massage...heaven!

Staff: Always a smile on their faces and very friendly. Nyoman, the manager, is a warm-hearted local who is taking great care of the guests' well being. I read in an earlier review that the daily dinner announcement from one of the staff girls is a daily highlight. I can only agree, beyond cute! "Pleeaaseee enjoooyyyy!":)

All in all, I doubt that you will find anything like this on Bali. This place has so much character; it is truly one of those secret hidden treasures that you barely find these days...Absolutely perfect if you are a looking for a small place to relax far away from hectic, touristic places. It is not just any resort, it is Jochen and Nicole's home you are invited to! And you can feel that as they are living here too.
Everyone should at least once experience the peace and harmony of Cili Emas;)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Clara M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tejakula
The Villas Tejakula
The Damai
The Damai
#1 of 25 in Lovina Beach
Poinciana Oceanside Resort & Retreat Centre

Been to Cili Emas Oceanside Resort? Share your experiences!