Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali
The Villas Tejakula(Tejakula)
  • Breakfast included
Bali Umah Tinjung(Karangasem)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsshoulder massagefoot bathour honeymoondaily treatmentsjamu makingcandle makingminute treatmentfoot soakpalm leafall inclusive packagelong drive from the airportblack sandfrozen fruitmartial artsylang ylangrefreshing drinktembok bali
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 May 2012

If you are considering whether or not to go to Spa Resort Tembok in Bali - don't think any longer, just DO IT! It is the best holiday we've been on so far!
The beginning - it was a long flight from London Heathrow to Kuala Lumpur, we then had to change flight to Denpasar Bali.
We jumped in our taxi, opened the windows and then the fairy tale started...
The three and a half hour drive through green, lush vegetation, rice fields and the mystifying smell of thousands and thousands of spices ( clove, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and many others I could not indentify), was like nothing I have experienced before (and I travel A LOT!).
Arriving at the hotel, we were very tired and welcomed the fantastic foot scrub, followed, by a hot foot bath and a relaxing neck and shoulder massage, all through a hot towel - oh, yes that was exactly what the doctor ordered.
I would recommend you opt for a suite if you can (they have 31 rooms, but only two suits and two villas, which also looked very nice).
The room we stayed in was the "Suria suit" and it was AMAZING - the lounge was very large with a sofa, two cosy sitting areas and a writing desk, leading to a HUGE terrace which was the whole length of the suite. The bedroom was also very spacious with a super king size bed (very comfortable), access to the terrace and a nice outside day bed to enjoy the breath taking views. At the other end of the terrace there was a table with two chairs if we wanted to have something to eat there. The suite had a large wardrobe with a huge door mirror and a gorgeous marble bathroom with a bath and separate shower....It was pure luxury!
We actually never saw our room attendants - they were like little ghosts, just making our suite gorgeous all the time, decorating it with flowers, each night they put on our bed a little present (normally a bite size treat to eat) and a pearl of wisdom with a good night wish - we looked forward to discover every night the new and very personalised offering.
Special thanks to Malih, - the way you made the bed was always amazing, Bagus - I loved your frangipani decorations and Koming - I wish I could tidy my house like you did our room...I REALLY MISS YOU GUYS...:-) The only way I know their names is because they were written on the "pearls of wisdom" cards.
What can I say about the food.... for 12 days I gained four and a half pounds, but believe me, IT WAS WORTH IT! (Try the banana pancakes for breakfast). The food is heavenly, all cooked fresh, with an amazing choice of appetisers, starters, main courses and deserts - all cooked for you freshly (there is not a buffet as the restaurant is a la carte, and different every day). My favourite waiters were Anam (very sweet with a fantastic smile), Agus (always attentive) and another chap whose name I have forgotten - really sorry, but he taught me most of my Indonesian and Balinese words, so thank you soooo much. All the restaurant managers were also very nice and one of them (I have forgotten his name as well - sorry) recommended to us the special Balinese style duck - IT IS A MUST, it was fantastic and we ate the hole duck!!!
The pool area is so peaceful, all the pool attendants make sure you always have ice cold water with lime, tea, coffee, or freshly squeezed fruit juice.
The resort has a very well equipped gym as well - we were the only people to use it, as most of the guests go there for rest, peace and tranquillity...all of which is available in abundance.
There is internet access in the reception area. As we are used to having constant access, we at first thought this would be a problem, but that soon got dispelled as we were kept busy with the DAILY SPA TREATMENTS AND MASSAGES (included in the price), complimentary activities - like the cooking classes (a MUST!), yoga classes (Erica Mather is a great yoga teacher), candle making, wood carving, recreation walks etc.... You are spoiled for choice.
The daily massages were amazing and my favourite masseuses were Katut and Heisty (if you like your massage strong they are the best - but also they can be as gentle as you want them to be). All of the materials in the spa are natural - coconut oil with ylang-ylang from the resort garden, banana leaves, aloe, etc...
The receptionists were also fantastic. We were very impressed with Rimbawan (who welcomed us and was always very attentive), Gede was so nice and arranged for someone to take a 7 hour return trip to get me a souvenir I wanted - unbelievable service!!! Yes they do that in Spa Resort Tembok. Also Made, who I think never slept, was always there for us with a fantastic smile and pleasant attitude
We have to thank everybody at the Spa Resort Tembok, for making our stay so pleasant and especially Sharron Hopley the Resident Manager - you made our stay incredible and unforgettable!
Oh and yes - value for money - absolutely as we were there full board and all we had to pay for were certain drinks and any excursions

We lived in the paradise and didn't want to leave and already planning our return there. Spa Resort Tembok is deeply in our hearts and we will be coming back very soon.

Room Tip: Opt for a suite if you can, they are great!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Julia M
sharron_hopley, Manager at Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Greetings from Spa Village, Tembok Bali!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed response. We enjoyed reading your review in our morning meeting. It was a pleasure to meet you both and we look forward to seeing you very soon.

Wishing you a beautiful day,
Sharron and Team Tembok

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Upon arrival after a tiring journey with our car breaking down we eventually found the Spa Resort (you have to have eagle eyes or you will miss the turning). My initial impression was 'where is everyone?' It was so quiet. Our welcome drink, massage and foot bath was bliss after the ride.
We were escorted to our room, a Kamar on the ground floor, It was lovely, beautiful Balinese design. Tea awaited on a super large and very comfy bed and the marble Balinese style bathroom was lovely. Our terrace looked out onto the gardens and pool, an easy stroll to breakfast, the pool, beach.
We had initially booked B&B but upgraded to full board which included 3 course lunch, 3 course dinner and a daily spa treatment. This was a good deal as you had to eat in the resort each night due to it's remote location.
The grounds and infinity pool were sublime. The black sand beach was course sand but very picturesque.
The spa treatments included a complimentary 30 min pre-treatment which consisted of a Balinese style sauna and foot bath followed by a drink with frozen fruit. A lovely touch. The products used were all home made using local balinese ingredients. The staff were very professional and the treatments very relaxing.
Daily activities enhanced the stay and broke up the day, The bath scrub is a recipe I will be making again at home. The lumbar drawings and weaving were interesting. The yoga classes with Erica were great. I have done yoga (to a basic level) for some years and she is one of the best teachers I have come across. She explains things in a very simple but effective way. I learned a lot more about yoga in one session. The yoga swing, however, I would suggest is only for the superfit, be prepared to do your own warm up and cool down in that session. It felt more like a taster session than an actual fitness session.
Meals were generally lovely but I think they pander too much to Western palettes and their Indonesian dishes turned out bland as a result of being too restrictive with their spices.
Evenings are quiet, there is no bar or entertainment. It's location is remote so you are confined to the hotel to a certain extent. I think this is ideal, it is a retreat after all, but if you want this then look elsewhere.
Only down side we experienced was paying at the end. I would suggest taking enough cash to cover your bill as their credit card machine is temperamental and does not always work. Sharron was more than accomodating with offering alternative solutions, had they been needed, which was reassuring.

Room Tip: Do not be put off by their basic (Kamar) room. They are large and lovely. Ground floor rooms allow you to walk out from your terrace.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nonymous

Greetings from Spa Village, Tembok Bali!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was a delight to have to both here and we hope to see you again in the future.

Warmest Regards,
Sharron and Team Tembok

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Great food great treatments and a peaceful location provides a real getaway from those stresses & strains. The classes were really interesting and informative and became quite a challenge for who was going to best pupil. The boys were a bit treatment-ed out so an alternative for them would have been helpful maybe a bar or snooker table. As a result we did have a day out so probably useful to advise visitors of the availability of trips. A few trips had to be cancelled due to the poor weather we experienced boat trip, massage under the stars - but nobody can dictate the weather. The staff were always very accomodating and friendly and the chef made a lovely cake for my sister's birthday. Would thoroughly recommend for the ladies but if bringing your menfolk have some alternatives available for them. Sharon can you let me know best way to drop you an e mail. Thanks for a lovely holiday.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cbelle13
sharron_hopley, Manager at Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review!

Thumbs up to you all and in particular to the fabulous 2 who gave it a go and incorporated Spa Treatments into their daily routine here and Spa Village Resort, Tembok Bali! It was such a pleasure to have met you all and we hope to see you soon again. Will send you an email shortly....

Thanks again and do stay in touch!

Best,
Sharron & Team Tembok

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I am tempted to say this is the worst resort I have ever stayed in so that other people dont rush to go and it stays in its wonderful, tranquil, beautiful and relaxing state but I would be doing it such a terrible injustice because Spa Village in Tembok is truly a little piece of heaven on earth.
We stayed for seven nights and it was for me, a massage therapist in Britain, just a wonderful experience where every aspect of the service given to residents was taken into consideration. From the foot and neck massage on arrival, to the daily spa treatments complete with special touches, the lovely food, the attentive pool staff, housekeeping and back room staff there was nothing they missed out.
In addition to Tembok we stayed in two other mainstream resorts while in Bali and the spa village is streets ahead of both in every way. We especially enjoy our spa treatments and the daily activities where we learned so much about Bali and its people through the staff members who took the activities and who also stayed in nearby villages. In addition I can now make candles, jamu, body scrubs, weave little baskets and birds and wood carving.
It would be difficult to give any staff member a special mention as they were all so good but widi in the restuarant who bravely attempted some scottish country dancing after an evening of Balinese dancing, ilah and Tehut in the spa rooms and young Sirti, Ani and Gedde in reception. Of course Sharon the manager is the glue that holds it all together and a fine job she does too. The restuarant staff and the chef also made me a birthday cake and did a fantastic rendition of 'happy birthday' which was a very touching moment.
Tembok spa village is a not to be missed resort while in Bali and even although it is some distance from the airport it is worth the journey. We stayed at the Bali Pavillions (Also recommended) in Sanur Beach when we arrived for two nights before making the journey up to Tembok and then used the drive up and the drive back down as a sight seeing opportunity during which we took in a lot of the real Bali. Would we go back - without a doubt - every month if we didnt have to endure the 18 hour flight. It is definately a place you just can't get enough of and I did contemplate selling up everything and living there permanently but then I would still have to leave eventually after running out of money - so I was talked out of it but I can still dream xx

Room Tip: They have two villas right on the beach with their own pools and cabanas and right beside the pool area and they would be a great treat
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank AhrleneFerguson
sharron_hopley, Manager at Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review!

It was wonderful to have you all with us and we do hope to see you again soon for the next Scottish dancing class! Please know our home is your home anytime.

See you soon,

Love & Smiles,
From Spa Village, Tembok Bali!

Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed at the Spa Village Resort Tembok for 5 nights, full board with 50 minutes per person of Spa included.

The hotel is located in the North of Bali, a bit further from every sightseeing activities than most locations in Bali (I suppose the south of Bali or Ubud are really the best places to stay when you want to travel around the island and do alot of sightseeing). That being said, we came here for the tranquility, for doing some diving (very close to the WW II wreck) and the many (free) classes of yoga, pencak silate, woodcarving, fitness, ... and ofcourse for the spa treatments that were included in our package.

We really enjoyed everything in the hotel, as we received everything we were expected to receive (except for the weather, which was terrible during our stay there, but that is possible if you book in the last month of the rainy season :)... The only thing we were a bit dissapointed by was the food in the restaurant which was perhaps a bit too western and the wine list. Other than than we cannot find many negative points about this hotel.

The free classes (which you are allowed to attend without prior notice) are really fun to do, there's a bit for everyone... You can follow relaxing/balancing/envigourating paths and the hotel suggests an itinerary for you when you arrive.

Room Tip: go for the beachfront villa if you can afford it
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christophe00
sharron_hopley, Manager at Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We enjoyed having you here and pleased you took the time to recharge your energy and enjoy the tranquility of north Bali in our resort. We hope to welcome you back again in the future to Spa Village, Tembok Bali.

Wishing you both a beautiful day!

Our Best,