“The Perfect Honeymoon” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tejakula
UK
“The Perfect Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

If you've read all the reviews that have come before, then you'll know how special this place is. We cannot however go without writing our own.

We stayed at Spa Village Resort, Tembok for 10 blissful nights as the main part of our honeymoon. Yes the transfer from the airport is long (4 hours for us) but the welcome you receive makes it truly worth every second.

We stayed in Villa Samudra, one of the two villas on the resort, which from talking to other guests are very sought after, so book early!
If you can afford the extra cost it's worth every penny to have the spacious villa and the private outdoor area with the pool and you very own day bed. Plus views of the sea are amazing... its right on your doorstep!
Falling asleep every night to the sound of crashing waves was heavenly.

The people make this place, the staff are so very genuinely kind and attentive. It's not an act, just the way they are.
Everyone from the waiting staff, to the room attendants, the pool boys, the spa ladies, the chefs, the groundsmen and reception staff all stand out and made our honeymoon memorable.

We enjoyed the food very much, the menus were varied and interesting, the ingredients fresh and the dishes beautifully prepared. We were told if you want something, we'll make it for you, can't ask for more than that! Definitely book full board!

The treatments were fantastic, and we loved the use of natural ingredients in the treatments and the lotions and potions. The spa ladies were lovely!

We did the candle making class, weaving, jamu making and the cooking class. These were great and we now have many special trinkets to remind us of our stay.
We also did stargazing, floating round the pool on an airbed, a must, believe us!

We booked a car and driver for the day through reception to get out and about. They helped us put together an itinerary to suit our interests. We really enjoyed the day, but were happy to get back and not go out again as the resort is so special!

If you're reading reviews to help you make up your mind whether to book or not, stop wasting time and book!!! We hope to come back to this magical place one day.

Thank you so much! Helen & Ian x

Room Tip: Book a Villa if you can, Samudra is best as its the most private of the two.
1 Thank Mrs_and_Mr_M
, Manager at Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Ian & Helen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased you chose Spa Village for your honeymoon - we enjoyed looking after you.

Wishing you a wonderful new chapter together,

Warm Smiles from,
Sharron & Team Tembok

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

If you are looking for complete relaxation in a serene and beautiful environment, this is the ultimate place to go. We stayed there for a week, and I loved every minute. It is very remote, and you are better off taking the transfer more as a first and last opportunity to see a lot of Bali rather than lost travel time, you will have a beautiful experience from the start. I particularly enjoyed the small Balinese villages, the first view of the sea, the rice fields, the mountain passes (some of the roads were astonishingly steep even by Austrian standards).

The whole spa village itself is just as beautiful as the pictures on the webpage – actually even more stunning when you are there in person than when you are just dreaming yourself there. The Spa Village has only a little more than 30 rooms, but you never feel as if there are 60 guests. You will always have lots of space near the pool as well as on the beach.

Our room was spacious and perfectly laid out, with a beautiful big bathroom. The large bed was extremely comfortable, and we just slept our jetlag away. A roomy balcony with a two-seater couch provided for comfortable evenings with cool drinks from the well-stocked minibar.
Food is tremendous, starting from the large breakfast, followed by a three-course lunch and three-course dinner, each course with several options to pick from. Also vegetarians are blessed with lots of choice. Portions were definitely on the large side, so I am wondering why some reviewers were complaining. In addition, you constantly get fresh water with lime by the pool, complemented by plates of exotic fruit.

Spa treatments are divine and quite addictive, provided by very gentle and friendly Balinese girls (who can be quite strong if you prefer a more in-depth massage). The pre-treatment consists of 30 minutes in a steam room, but if you feel too hot you can just enjoy the cool ylang-ylang water and fruit to start your treatment.

Finally, some hints from my side regarding things you do not need to bring:
• Bath towels and beach shoes: provided by the Spa Village
• Books: there is a small library of mostly English books, but there are also some titles in French, German, and Italian
• Lots of different clothing: you will find that you will spend a lot of time in your bikini or bathing trousers and just something light to throw over
• Computers and more than one iPad per couple: There is WLAN in the reception area, but it does not work consistently. Actually, this makes for a very blissful experience where you actually learn to enjoy being where and with whom you are in the present moment rather than connecting with hundreds of facebook “friends” every two hours.
Actually, you also won’t need portable radios, or iPods or any other noise-making devices.
• Body lotion, shower gel, shampoo & conditioner: In your bathroom, you will find nice Balinese cosmetics that will give your skin and hair a healthy glow. There is also a hair-dryer, but the Balinese evening wind does an even better job.

Many thanks to the whole team, especially to Sharron, to Widi in the restaurant, and to our yoga teacher Ketut (“feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel the sensation!”). Matur suksma!!!

What I found a bit sad was reviews saying there is nothing to do and that the repetitiveness made for a bad experience. To me, that is the attitude that ultimately got us kicked out of paradise – I can imagine Adam moaning to Eve “God, this is so boring, there is nothing to do and nowhere to go!”, and when the poor woman tried to entertain him with some fruit, everything went haywire

7 Thank CasssandraCat
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Wonderful to have you both here, thank you for your support we truly appreciate it.

With much gratitude and many smiles,
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

This is, by far, the best resort I've ever stayed at. Everything about this resort is 5 star luxury. My mom and I really felt welcome from the time we arrived to the time we left. The food is delicious and the staff at the restaurant were so nice! The spa is amazing and they offer a wide variety of massages and treatments. The spa staff always made sure that my mom and I were comfortable and they did a phenomenal job on all of our spa treatments. There are so many little things, from the sweet notes left on your bed to the way the entire staff knows your name, that make this resort a magical place. When I go back to Bali I will definitely stay here! I already miss this place! It is like heaven and the pictures don't do it justice. It is absolutely breathtaking.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Sarah1790
Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

It was a pleasure to have you both here, thanks so much for your support and please know there is always a home waiting for you next time you visit Bali.

Wishing you a beautiful day!
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

This is truly a paradise setting, but before you get over-excited, you should come to terms with the following points:
- The transfer from the airport is about 3h one-way on very bendy and hilly roads
- There is nothing else in walking distance from the resort – absolutely nothing
- Rooms are lacking from entertainment systems like TV, radio etc (there is a mini-bar though)
- Wi-Fi exists, but is rather slow and unpredictable
- The resort has one restaurant, and no bar-style meeting point
- It is a couple/honey-moon place, where people tend to spend time with their respective spouse
If you are still fine with the above, this is the place to go to! It is extremely pretty and luxurious, with jungle features right into your doorstep. The staff is mega-friendly and genuinely service-minded, which really makes you feel very spoiled and relaxed. The food served in the restaurant is very Asian, with some international influences – fantastically good in my opinion, which explains why I gained two kg over the week, instead of losing two as planned…
The pool area is just great, where you lay and over-watch the ocean in the immediate background, regardless if you are on your sun bed or in the pool. Swimming in the sea is also possible, but the beach is black volcano sand and contains a lot of big rocks and stones that make it tricky to get into the sea itself – once you are in though, it is magical.
There is also a gym and TV-room located underneath the restaurant, where you can overlook the Balinese Sea while doing your exercises. The TV room was extra crowed at this time, due to the Euro 2012 football championship.
The rooms are very lovely decorated and rather spacious, each with an individual balcony for nice evening sunset watching.
Two things not to be missed:
1. The massages offered by the very skilled and professional staff – wow, what a treat!
2. The sunset cruise with dolphin watching, just next to the boat. Really cool and nice!
Last, but not least – if I would get the chance to come back here, I would immediately take that chance. It is truly paradise!!!

Room Tip: Room numbers 11-18 are preferable, since it is only treatment rooms underneath.
5 Thank maffe_johansson
Thank your for taking the time to write a review.

We enjoyed having you here and we hope to see you again! In the meantime be well, be happy and have a wonderful day!

Warmest Regards,
Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

My Wife & I have been back for just over a week now and miss this resort so much!!
Such an amazing Place, one we will never ever forget!
For us the Staff make this hotel what it is..... from the moment of getting picked up at 2am in the morning to us leaving 10 days later at 4am they looked after us and were always going that extra mile to make sure we had the perfect honeymoon!
The food was lovely and everything cooked from fresh!
Spa was Brilliant and will miss the everyday treatments along with the frozen grapes :)
A couple of must do's are the bike ride up to the waterful & the sunset cruise!
Just a few Thank you's to people
Ketut – you are brilliant Tara & I had some really good laughs!! thank you for our waterfall cycling trip, hard work but worth it!. also Gede too really helpful.

Wayne the Restaurant manager and all his staff! always checking we was happy!

and finally Rimbawan and the another guys in reception great people who always put a smile on our faces (Hope Rimbawan is still doing the dance from the jungle book my wife taught him)
Everyone was wonderful, so attentive and helpful.
We will never forget the Staff at the Spa Village and a massive thank you for making our honeymonn so special. (SUKSAMA)

Tara & Shaun

3 Thank Shaun A
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

This was truly a wonderful experience after a very long flight to finally arrive and be greeted with a foot and shoulder massage was just what the Doctor ordered. Our room was always clean, the treatments were brilliant and they were more than happy to change treatments and times while we were there. My Partner really enjoyed the yoga session with Ketuk (sorry not right spelling) and learned a lot from him.The attention to detail was spot on and so was the tranquility of the Hotel, cannot fault any of the staff. The food was good but not exceptional and we did find that as we were there for 10days the menues did beging to repeat themselves but this is a minor point, and any time we asked for something different it was never a problem. A must is the sunset curies which was fab.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Wickham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

I can't say that I disagree with any of what other people have said I just feel that the other side of the story is not being told, so here goes.....
We stayed for 7 nights as part of our honeymoon and by day 4/5 I was ready to leave because I was bored of the routine and repetition of it all! Food- although the head chef was lovely and made every effort to cater to our needs if there was nothing on the menu that worked for us, the food for us was still lacking something. The same limited breakfast menu everyday, the same dry muesli (why not homemade granola?) or bread basket containing what look and taste like 'bake from frozen' pastries. then the soft white roll served with EVERY lunch and the White toast slice with garlic butter served with EVERY dinner! I realise that if this is all I can find to moan about then I should really get a life but I'm not joking it started to drive me insane....for a place that's about wellbeing and health, what's with all the white carbs!!! I found myself requesting salads often for a lighter option.
The other things to note are .....the only wifi is in the reception and that is very hit and miss, I was trying to email my son as I had been on the rest of our trip but resorted to more phone calls instead. Listen to the other reviewers and don't even think about going the this place and not being full board there is literally no where else to go, the next village is about 15mins walk away and to be honest you aren't going to find much there anyway! If you like to have a drink at the end of the day then make sure you remember to buy your duty free (if you are allowed?) because drink prices are high (as is all of Bali) a bottle of local white wine will cost you about £35/40 and anything recognisable will be considerably more!
Watch out for the treatments included in the 'all in' offer as from what I can tell they expect you to read minds and understand the rather strange logic around what is and isn't included. That said the treatments are lovely, if not a little repetitive and robotic (another thing driving me mad by the end!)
Please try the star gazing, that was an amazing experience, you totally forget you are lying on a lilo in a swimming pool! The lovely pool attendants bring you water throughout the day as you sunbathe (nice touch!) and the turn down man ran me a beautiful flower petal bath one night and left me the most yummy nut brittle on another.....that element of surprise was my favourite bit of the day!
Over all Its a beautiful, beautiful hotel with lovely staff, very quiet and relaxing and well worth a visit for a few days but only stay longer if you can handle the routine!

Room Tip: Suits have much more space ie separate lounge and bigger bathroom but they have the same amenities...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ellie M
sharron_hopley, Manager at Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We, at the Spa Village Resort, strive to provide a Balinese experience equal to your expectations therefore the quality of the guest experience is always important to us.

It is always a disappointment to hear from a guest that their stay was not flawless. While compliments are lovely to receive, it is constructive criticism, such as yours, that helps us pinpoint areas where corrective measures are necessary to bring us closer to our goal.

It was a pleasure to have served you and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

With Love,
Sharron & Team Tembok
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tejakula
The Villas Tejakula
Alam Anda Ocean Front Resort & Spa
The Griya Villas and Spa
Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
Poinciana Oceanside Resort & Retreat Centre

Been to Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali? Share your experiences!