“Absolute bliss”

Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tejakula
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I spent 2 weeks here for our honeymoon. We were looking for a chilled out relaxing place after the madness and frenzy of planning a wedding, and this was everything we were looking for. Before we left, we requested the activity list and planned out all the things we wanted to do. But once we arrived, we had no interest in leaving!

I'm going to take a leaf out of beckybennett101's review and not go over old ground. Instead, I'd like to point out the highlights for us.

1. First of all, the service and hospitality of the restaurant, spa and ground staff is second to none. They were genuinely friendly and enthusiastic. My husband is a chatter, and they would take time from their busy workloads to indulge his chattiness. Those who we would particularly commend are: Ketut, Anri, Sri, Suratmini, Komang and Ani. If you can, make sure Ketut is your masseuse - she is super friendly and her hands are AMAZING!
Everyone knew our names and always made it a point to greet us as they passed by.

2. The resort itself is gorgeous and so well maintained. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the villas - Baruna, and it was just phenomenal.

3. The spa treatments. These were fantastic. I'm not sure why some people have objected to the rooms - we found these more than suitable. The quality of the treatments surpasses any we've had before. There is enough of a range of treatments, although we mainly went for the massages. For the first time in our lives, we are knot free - special thanks to Ketut and Sari for working those out! We loved the massages so much we even paid for extra!

4. All the little touches - the notes on the bed with little treats, the welcome foot and shoulder massage, the cold towels at dinner, the many free activities on offer.

The not quite so perfect (these don't take away from my 5 rating, but would have prevented it being a 6):
1. We wanted to see a volcanic beach once in our lives, and having seen it, we wouldn't choose to do so again. It is beautiful but we prefer the white sand.

2. The food can get quite repetitive, especially since we were there for 2 weeks. It would have been nice to have a bit more variety, especially with the breakfast menu (although I appreciate there's only so many options for breakfast).

3. Initially housekeeping were a little lax - forgetting to leave toilet paper (awkward), leaving used towels on the floor, however, this improved in the second week.

4. On a couple of occasions, it seemed as if one staff member on reception was a little disengaged, and could have been a bit more friendly. This was particularly noticeable as everyone else was super friendly.

Things to do:
Massage under the stars - just amazing!
Private dinner on the beach - food was lovely and the sound of the waves...heaven
Special dinner - we had the baked fish one night and the duck for our private dinner. Definitely worth that little extra!
Waterfall ride - absolutely breathtaking and totally worth the very long bike ride!
Diving - my husband had a fab time, and I am extremely jealous that I didn't go.
The dolphin tour - although I can't comment overly as I ended up being sea sick.

Again, if you're prone to motion sickness, you may want to think twice about any sea related activities as the water is very choppy.

All in all, SVRT was everything we were looking for in a honeymoon. The little niggles were just that, and did not in any detract from what was an amazing time in an amazing place surrounded by amazing people. We definitely plan to come back!

Room Tip: Stay in a villa if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sonya F
WSHopley, Manager at Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

It was a real joy to read your review and we appreciate your feedback. Will certainly look into those points that you raised. On the other hand, wonderful to hear your experienced the loveliness of our staff and genuine care they do so naturally.

Thanks again, and we hope to welcome you back to Spa Village Resort Tembok, Bali!

Our love,

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

The spa village was our 3rd and final stop of our 3 centre honeymoon in bali and it was definitely our favourite hotel.
I won't cover old ground as many of the reviews cover the same points but wanted to just mention the following:-

- The treatments were of a really high quality is go as far to say probably the best treatments I've experienced.
- beautiful pool area
- staff were so friendly & couldn't do enough for you. What was nice is that they genuinely seemed to love their jobs.
- loved the fact that you got table service for all meals - even breakfast. Meals were nice my only slight criticism is that it got a little samey towards the end but that's if I'm being picky
- loved the cycling trip to the waterfall - highly recommended
- beach is volcanic and isn't your typical postcard perfect beach however we thought it was beautiful in a raw & natural way. It didn't bother us at all as the pool was so stunning.
- amazing star gazing

Before I went I was trying to get an idea of drinks prices. As a rough indication, including tax & service charge it's about £2.50 for a beer, £4-£5 a cocktail - cocktails were very good actually, local glass of wine was about £4. Bottles of wine were quite pricey especially if you want something that isn't local.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and I can only hope I'm fortunate enough to return to spa village as it felt like a second home.

Thanks to everyone who made our stay here so memorable!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank beckybennett101

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review!

We simply loved having you both here and enjoyed looking after you.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and hope to welcome you back home soon,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I will start by declaring that we really did enjoy our four nights at Tembok, but that I agree with both of the reviews by SmartTraveller007 and Fiona R.

There are pros and cons to this blissfully isolated resort. It is secluded, small and very personal (everyone knows your name) but it's just not quite perfect for all the reasons laid out below.

The staff are lovely, but reception seemed not to have any record of the arerangements for our day tour/transfer on to the next hotel when we checked 24hrs prior to departure, despite having only arranged it with them 48hrs earlier.

The bathrooms are a little old and plasticy - flimsy tub and shower tray with blackened grouting.

The air con in the rooms was super noisy - we and another couple resorted to ear plugs!

But - the pool is just gorgeous. The restaurant staff superb; the BBQ night is not to be missed. The suite we stayed in was wonderful, with a huge balcony overlooking the pool and the sea. The manager, Sharron, was smiling, friendly and approachable as was the head chef, both of whom greeted us on our first day.

I'm glad we visited, but four days was enough.

Room Tip: There are only two suites; the Surya suite is nearer the pool and sea.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

We appreciate your feedback and will certainly look into the points you raised. However, we're so happy to hear you enjoyed our Infinity pool and BBQ & performance evening.

It was a pleasure to have you here and we do hope to welcome you back to Spa Village Resort, Tembok Bali.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

It's the little things that we loved - they had drawn a bath for us the first night when we checked in, with floating rose petals. Getting lovely notes/poems from our room attendants after our turn down service or room clean up (sometimes with candy). The frozen strawberries before spa treatments. The responsiveness and promptness of staff to requests and their flexibility to cater for us. The guest practitioner they have week to week - giving free seminars and offering quaint touches( I had henna done and also our portrait drawn - both complimentary). The cold towels and shot glasses of juice before every meal.

PROS:
- receiving a questionnaire via email a few weeks before our travel to find out more about us, and the trip so they can tailor an itinerary (with suggested activities) for us.
- the guest attire available for guests to use - a pair of fisherman style pants and top, very comfortable for lounging around the hotel. These are available for purchase from reception.
- there are many free creative activities every day to take part in if you want- e.g. candlemaking, drawing on lontar leaves, yoga and exercise classes, creativity walk,a healing workshop, starlight gazing etc.
-there are also chargeable activities like drawing class, cooking class or they can book trips nearby ( snorkelling/diving/dolphin watching boat trip)
-the cold towels and shot glasses of juice at every meal, water glasses continually refilled, responsive and attentive staff.
-all the staff are friendly without getting over- familiar with guests. After the 2nd day, staff would address us by name to greet us which was lovely. And we would get little notes in our room after they had serviced it or at turn down service with some candies.

CONS ( these were NOT deterrants for us, but might influence your decision)
- it's remote - no shopping nearby, no restaurants except a little local canteen and a few corner shops. Closest attractions are at least a 30 minute drive away ( snorkelling in Amed, or dolphin watching in Lovina). This is a getaway-from-it-all relax and recharge resort.
- it's volcanic sand beach - black and coarse, and not very big, not the kind of beach for barefoot walks. Bring your Crocs or flip-flops/sandals.
- if you go mid year, be prepared for the vagaries of weather affecting your outdoor activities - high winds meant we couldn't go on a sunset or sunrise cruise.
-while all of the restaurant staff speak English, the degree of competency differs so you will need to be patient, speak simple English and articulate.
- the hotel is not geared for people over 6'4'' - watch out for the low archways in the room ( husband bumped his head at least once)
- there is no WIFI in the bedrooms but full access in the lobby area and even a couple of laptops ready for guest use if you didn't bring your own device.
- no TV in the bedroom ( we thought it was a refreshing change away from screens) - though there is a TV room with full cable TV, comfy bean bags and a small library of books to borrow to read by the pool ( honesty system)

Room Tip: - book the full board - breakfast, lunch and dinner included. The food is amazing, you don't wan...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SmartTraveller007

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review!

It was such a joy to read your review to the team here. Its comments such as yours that makes our job so rewarding.

We hope to welcome you back to Spa Village Resort Tembok, Bali in the not too distant future.

All our love,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I recently had a 4 night stay at the Spa Village and was overall less than impressed with the resort.

The pool setting and gardens are pretty and well maintained. The rooms however are showing their age. They are functioning but dark with outdated bathrooms.

Obviously the appeal of the resort was the spa. It was however a disappointment. While the limited treatments on offer were quite good. The actual facilities were a disaster. This is not a spa by YTL standards let alone Asia 4 star standards. The treatment rooms are old tired re-purposed bedrooms. When I say re-purposed, I don't mean refurbished, literally all they have done is take out the beds and TV and add two treatment tables. So if you are thinking Balinese rain showers and sunken baths you will be sorely disappointed. In my case it was a half working shower over a rusted and dirty bath (well I assume the dead insects where there when I stepped in and weren't part of the body scrub). The Spa Manager is a delightful lady who wants to ensure guests have a relaxing time but unfortunately YTL have not invested in this spa as they have in say the Cameron or Pangkor Laut versions.

The F&B also leaves you wanting to head to Seminyak and enjoy some real choice. While the ambition of the Resort is the provision of healthy meals, the delivery is boring and repetitive. Lunch and Dinner menus simply merge into one, with a choice of 3 starters, 4 mains (1 beef/lamb, 1 fish of the day and 2 vegetarian) and 2 desserts (1 local and 1 more international). There is no physical bar but with a bit of an effort you will be able to get a drink.

Some things not made clear in the website, the journey from the airport is definitely not 2.5 hours. In my experience plan for between 3.5 and 4 (3.5 was with very little weekend early evening traffic and 4 was the usual traffic around Ubud in the middle of the day). Also the website talks of the black sand beach - which indeed is correct but it does not mention that this beach is very narrow and certainly not for sun beds. So if you expect to lie on the beach, this is not the resort for you.

The GM was not around during my stay and I got the distinct impression that there was no one pulling all the different teams together. They all acted independently with no sense of team pulling together to provide great service.

As I said the Spa Manager was a lovely lady who really tried her best but unfortunately the overall resort failed to deliver. The good news is that there are lots of other options with great facilities in Bali.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Fiona R

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is constructive criticism such as yours which helps us to make the necessary changes to ensure guests' stay is enhanced, positive and enjoyable. I'm so happy to hear our Spa Manager took good care of you.

Tembok itself is a magical place and Spa Village Resort's intention is to help all individuals who come here feel peace and relaxation as well as experience community, local traditions and healing. It was a pleasure to have served you.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back.

In appreciation and gratitude,

Our love,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed at the Spa Village Resort for 4 days as part of our Honeymoon and it is a beautiful place, from arriving you know you will be pampered, with a lovely back massage and foot rub to start you off. its a very relaxed and intimate resort, perfect for couple. The small touches they add, like the little poems in your room and the refreshing juice shots they bring while you sun bath by the pool is lovely.
The hotel puts on activities during the day worth getting involved in and the food is lovely, not once did we not enjoy the food we picked, fresh and presented well. We enjoyed the snorkeling and saw lots of different fish. Highlights for us were the sunset boat ride, a beautiful private dinner on the beach and star gazing on the pool was magical. If we are ever lucky enough to head back to Bali we will stay here for sure, the long drive is worth it, but make sure your driver goes via the mountain ( the views are amazing) and not the even longer road by the coast. we would also spend a couple more days here. Our room was a nice size, I would however pick a top floor room as if your under a room you can hear people walking about up stairs, but its not a major issue. All in all we loved our stay and would head back in a heart beat! Thank you to all the staff who would any thing to make your stay even better! xx

Room Tip: Top floor room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

We are happy to hear you enjoyed our resort and its wonderful activities we have on offer. We agree the journey here is so mesmerising with its gorgeous views of the mountains, volcanoes and nature itself.

May your new life together be always filled with love and joy!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I think it is common knowledge that the stretch of beach where this resort is located is nothing to write home about. Yes, it is a health or wellness resort, so No smoking, No Tvs, No drinks service after dinner hours.

It is immediately apparent that Spa resort is an incarnation of a previous resort. The rooms are generous in size, but shows it's age, e.g. yellowish plastic phone which is without outside line. Layout is quite outdated and isn't the norm of a standard YTL hotel. The first room I checked into has a water leak right above the toilet seat. A room change was requested and apologetically arranged. I am disappointed to see an average woolen blanket being offered as a standard. These day an age, and with YTL's reputation, a common white duvet is expected.

The service of staff is very good though, everyone from front desk to restaurant staff and spa staff were all pleasant and professional. The pool area and gardens were kept very well.

I was on a full board plan and found the F&B offerings to be adequate but not spectacular. A usual good selection for breakfast and lunch, but I do find the food at dinner to be regularly of dish-out plan from a huge pot e.g. casseroles with rice, curry with rice etc. Yes, I understand this is a health resort, but for a big man like myself, the portions were too small. I asked for seconds but were told only fixed courses allowed and I will be charged extra for more; having said this, the restaurant manager did offer extra. The desserts were often tiny bits of local Indonesian cakes etc.

I appreciate the effort from all staff members, and the thoughtfulness of an invitation to dine with the GM and other hotel guests, as I am a lone traveler.

All in all, a good, relaxing stay, but found it to be too far, too healthy and could of gotten the same somewhere closer to Ubud, or Seminyak area. There are no shops etc near by, so bring your own snacks and booze if you want some late night drinks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Boeing777

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

Feedback, such as yours is always an opportunity for us to evolve our resort and to make the necessary improvements to further enhance our guests' experience. We will certainly look into the points your raised.

It was a pleasure to meet you and we hope to welcome back to Spa Village Tembok, Bali!

All our love,
Team Tembok

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tejakula
The Villas Tejakula
Padma Resort Ubud
#1 of 10 in Payangan
Poinciana Oceanside Resort & Retreat Centre
Cili Emas Oceanside Resort

Been to Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali? Share your experiences!