“Splendidly relaxing!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Tofo B&B and Inns
London
“Splendidly relaxing!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights in early April in room 1 which was just lovely. The room was large with a walk in shower. The surroundings and views are amazing. It's right on the beach and you could just sit there all day looking out to sea! The staff were fantastic and very helpful. (Thanks Luca). It's a short walk along the beach to the town centre which has loads of different small bars and restaurants.

I would go back at the drop of a hat!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

What a wonderful experience to stay at the Baia Sonambula Guest House. I was travelling as a solo female to Mozambique for the first time. Upon arrival at the airport Gian was there waiting patiently for me to get my visa - smiling, friendly - he made me feel welcome right away.

When I saw my room for the first time I thought I was in heaven! It was the evening so the room was lit with beautiful lanterns and they had spread flower petals on the bed. The room was extremely clean and beautifully decorated…there was such attention to detail and it impressed me right away.

The location of the guest house was perfect…about 20 m from the beach with beautiful views of the ocean and about a 2-3 min walk to the centre of Tofo town. I really could not have asked for a better location.

The breakfast that was provided each morning was one of my favourite parts of the day. Sitting out on the lovely balcony watching the waves and enjoying fresh bread, homemade preserves, fresh tropical fruit, eggs, and Mozambique coffee…not a bad way to get going in the morning!

Besides the amazing location/room/food/view the number one reason I would recommend this location is for the people. Gian and Steffi are two of the loveliest people I have ever met. I have travelled a great deal (especially through Africa) and I have met many great individuals..but nobody as sincere and kind as these two. They genuinely care about their guests and their staff. It was a true pleasure to meet them and be in their company.

On this trip I was travelling through Africa for 5 weeks…and the highlight by far was staying at the Baia Sonambula. I will certainly visit again…and would recommend it to everyone!

Room Tip: If you can swing it, the rooms with the beach view are worth it! You will have a great view of the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
SteffiB87, Manager at Baia Sonambula Guest House, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your immensely nice word you spent for us and for Baia Sonambula. It was true pleasure to have you staying with us and it was great to see you enjoying your final leg of your holiday. Knowing that Baia Sonambula was the highlight of your trip through Africa is for us all the best reward that our job can give us. Holiday is such an important time in our busy life that we are all looking forward for it to come and it's wonderful for us to know we were able to fully meet your expectations.
We hope we will be able to host you again during one of your next visit to Africa.
Thanks again
Gian, Steffi and the staff
Koenigstein, Germany
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Baia Sonambula in February and all I can say is congratulations to Gian and Steffi for the wonderful management of this little jewel in Tofo. Located slightly off the beach, with amazing views over the lovely bay of Tofo and the Indian Ocean, it really is a perfect getaway-from-it-all!
The rooms are really tastefully decorated with a nice African feel, open shower which I really loved, and a private terrace with a day bed on which you can relax, taking in the magnificent views of the ocean.
Breakfast was delicious - buffet with wonderful fruit salad, yoghurt, home made jams and cereals. Omelettes cooked fresh to your liking, and lovely toastey toast! All this sitting on one of the terraces overlooking the beach, just a perfect experience. Communal rooms are cosy and there were refreshments, frsh fruit and muffins offered during the day which I found to be a very nice touch. Honesty bar where drinks could be purchased was available.
In general, every little detail has been considered to make this place a cut above the rest. Towels and umbrellas for the beach, shower and foot-bath in the gardens to rinse off the sand after a swim in the sea, muffins in the afternoon when you start to feel peckish. Gian and Steffi are extremely friendly, giving good advice about where to go to eat and what to do in Tofo - and they also ensure the place is running perfectly and your every wish is catered for! I must say, for me, they really made the place feel so special.
Three areas for improvement I would like to suggest: (1) we were in Bungalow 1 and the fans were not effective on a very hot couple of days - we were extremely hot especially at night; (2) I would recommend that some kind of washable cover should be put over the mattress before the sheets, as the sheets tended to come off the mattress during the night and we ended up sleeping on a bare mattress - not so hygienic and; (3) the road directly outside the front door leading to the beach could do with a good tidy up. When we were there it looked like a dumping ground.
All in all, we had a really wonderful mini break here. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Spent a week here recently. Although perhaps slightly more expensive than the average place in Tofo, money well spent I would say. Great, stylish rooms, cosy common areas and a beautiful terrace overlooking the bay. Breakfast is a true feast with home made jams, yoghurt, bread and fruits.

To top this all of off: excellent hosts in Steffie and Gianluca, who will go out of their way to make you feel at home.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
SteffiB87, Manager at Baia Sonambula Guest House, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review. It always makes us happy when we get nice, positive feedback from our clients. It means we, as Baia Sonambula team, are going towards the right direction. Thank you for appreciating our home-made breakfast and our terraces. Our common area, together with the garden it's our proud, they help us deliviring a tropical, intimate feeling to the guesthouse. Last but not least, thank you very much for your words about Steffi and I. For us, working at Baia, is a great pleasure and ensuring that our clients have a wonderful stay, is our number one priority.
Gian and all Baia Sonambula Team
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 16 January 2014

It was really nice to staying in the guesthouse. Everybody is very friendly and helpfull. The rooms are big, clean and very nice. The breakfast was very good and extras are no problem. Special I liked the 'real' coffee. I liked as well the garden, very nice. I only can recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank OlafCapeTown
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 December 2013

One week in Baia Sonambula was perfect to relax, dive and enjoy the beach. The guesthouse is directly at the beach with a fantastic view. The terrace (where breakfast is served and lounge chairs allow you to hang out all day) has an amazing view over the bay. The hosts Stefanie and Gian made the stay flawless and were always there when needed. The remaining staff was equally great. I would call this the best accommodation I have seen in Tofo. You immediately feel like home and the style of the guesthouse is a perfect relaxed atmosphere. I could have stayed longer......

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
SteffiB87, Manager at Baia Sonambula Guest House, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank yo very much Cathrin for taking your time to write down such a wonderful review. Both Steffi and I don't really know what to say. It feels great to know that you went back to busy Singapre after a relaxing holiday at Baia Sonambula. It is such an amazing reward for all of us, including our amazing staff. It so nice to hear you felt immediately at home, because this actually what we would like Baia Sonambula to be: your home away from home. Knowing you were able to feel it, together with the relaxed and peacefull atmosphere means we are all going to the right direction.
Thanks again and have a wonderful Christmas and New Year
Gian and Steffi
United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I have just returned after three nights staying at Baia Sonambula Guest House. I can highly recommend this place. I stayed in one of the sea view rooms which had all I needed. All the detail was there - and one can see thought and care has gone into it.
Breakfast is great - fruit, yoghurt, eggs, fresh bread, muffins, home made marmalades and all the coffee you can drink.
There is a fridge there with drinks that you can buy - and a tea and coffee station all day long. The WI FI is really useful.
I thought the place was beautifully clean too.
Stefanie was very helpful on email and booking though sadly I did not meet her. I met Gianluca who was very helpful. You are given a map of the local places - including where is good to eat and dive centres.
I went with Diversity and I was happy with them. I sadly did not see whale sharks or manta rays but lots of other stuff.
Baia Sonambula is 5 mins walk from the dive centre and all the restaurants. I felt safe walking around on my own. The beach is great and lots of waves to boogey board.
Can highly recommend this spot.

Room Tip: choose the front sea view rooms - a bit more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofo
Casa na Praia Tofo
#2 of 20 in Inhambane
Sentidos Beach Retreat
Sentidos Beach Retreat
#1 of 1 in Inhambane

Been to Baia Sonambula Guest House? Share your experiences!