“Highly Recommended”

Ranked #4 of 11 Tofo B&B and Inns
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

We didn't venture across all of Tofo Beach but from what we saw this is the place to stay! Daphne and Jakkie are great people and have a great thing going here. They would go the extra mile, literally, even driving us all the way back to Inhambane to find a working ATM. The place is beautiful with a Greek feel overlooking the great ocean view scenery of tofo beach. The chefs and all staff were great. I will only be repeating all other reviews by continuing on. We really enjoyed it and would recommend this place for you.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 which was great. Nice view, nice room.
Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot for work so am used to stay in all kind of hotels.
Casa do mar is a place that i recommend to anyone planning to go to inhambane.

Why,
When we arrived in Mozambique we had a bit of a worry as live is different there as we are used to in Europe :)
However when we arrived in Casa do Mar all was ok and looks like paradise.
After a short explanation about how things worked. ( bar works on honesty basis) we met with the owners who made us feel like we were home. The staf is great and also trustworthy. We were carrying a lot of devices but were not worried at all. Feel very safe there.

Then the view, it is amazing to overlook the ocean and actually spot the dolphins while enjoying a cool drink.
The food can be recommended as well.

daphne and Jakkie thanks for making our experience in mozambique so great.

If we ever come back we will definitely come back to Casa do Mar.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I and my husband stayed a week at wonderful Casa do Mar on a recent dive holiday. The lodge has great views of Tofo Beach, huge balconies where you can sit and listen to the waves hitting the beach. Rooms are absolutely impeccable, light ad airy with white furniture, modern bathrooms, great bed. Atmosphere is very casual and easygoing, in the upstairs living room you get your drinks from the bar and write it down, Owners are very nice people, indeed. Food is also good and if they don't have what you want on their menu they will offer to cook it anyway, if at all possible. Itu, the cook is a very friendly and service minded person. (sorry if I got the spelling wrong. My dive operator, Peri-peri divers is just a few steps away, which was fortunate
when I forgot my dive computer at the hotel. They don't take credit cards because of the big surcharge, but will take you to the nearest ATM if you need more cash.

If ever I go back to Tofo, I will not even consider any other place.

Maputo, Mozambique
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I had a couple of friends staying on this guest house and I was sorry I was not there.
Place is perfect. Good spacious sea viewing rooms, good bed, nice dinner/TV/Bar area and fantastic balcony.

Ito, the chef cooked a fabulous Paella for an excellent price and we could all share the same huge dining table.

I loved this place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

First off, I absolutely loved this hotel and the Daphne! Daphne is the sweetest person in the world and so helpful, starting from when we booked our rooms almost a year in advance all the way through our stay! Casa do Mar is clearly one of the best hotels in Tofo- I believe the only one with air conditioning! This is quite important as it's hot and humid in Tofo! Casa do Mar is right on the beach and you have balconies that have a great ocean view (request a room with an ocean view! I think there are a couple rooms in the back that face the other side). The rooms are clean and spacey. You feel like you're at home because the policy is that you can take whatever bottled water or soda or alcohol from the fridge and just write it down on a list and pay for it at the end. It's nice not to have to "check out" each time you want a drink. The staff keeps the place impeccably clean (I felt bad when we tracked in dirt which is inevitable since it's a beach town). The chef Etu is amazing as well- made us delicious food artistically displayed! Only thing to know is that the food takes a LONG time- and this is the same everywhere in Tofo (and probably everywhere in Mozambique). You should definitely expect to wait an hour after you ordered before getting the food. However, Etu is amazing --> food was much better at our hotel than in town. (Everyone in town recommended Tofo Tofo which we tried but it really wasn't anything to write home about, and took just as long). For dinner there's a menu, but for breakfast there isn't a menu and we didn't realize at first that you can just order whatever you want (omelets, frittatas, whatever you can think of that the chef can create!) The location of the hotel next to Peri Peri divers is great! It was very convenient for scheduling dives and whale shark safaris (especially if you brought your own gear). It's a walk into town (but not horrible)- you have to go down a hill, walk along the beach for a quarter mile or so, and then turn into town... takes about 10 minutes. Again, not a bad walk --> very scenic and beautiful, but this makes it so you probably want to just stick with Peri Peri divers instead of going to one of the other dive shops. We went to Peri Peri and one of the other dive shops --> I think they all have uniform prices and all go to the same sites, and the divemasters are contractors and rotate through the various dive shops so I think the experience is pretty uniform no matter where you go.

So why the 4 stars instead of 5? The main reservations I had are regarding the treatment of management towards the staff. I'm not referring to Daphne who is who you'll deal with most of the time. Jakkie is less involved with the customers but he does order the staff around --> and sometimes I felt like it was a bit derogatory and uncomfortable for me to see. The staff all wear shirts that say "Master Jack" which is a bit derogatory also.

Also, the trail leading to the beach is not fabulously maintained so it can be a bit scary at night. Bring a headlamp if you're heading into town at night since the town, the beach, and the trail back up are all not lit.

Overall, would stay at this hotel again. I had some concerns on the treatment of the staff from management but otherwise would have given the place 5 stars!

One more note --> you have to pay in cash. To hold the room ahead of time requires wiring money and BofA had issues doing this despite my trying 4 times (mainly they had problems wiring Mozambican meticai to a bank in South Africa, and then I think the receiving bank kept turning it down once we got the other issues resolved). I ultimately ended up bring US dollars and paying Daphne in case on arrival. Daphne goes to South Africa often and thus accepts any US bills but you should be aware that around Tofo US dollars are accepted but they have to be new and crisp (I think the date cut off is 2004 or 2006 so check the date on the bills). Also, do not tip staff with $1 ($1 bills not accepted in Mozambique)... We just tipped once at the end.

Final note --> they use South African plugs (two large round plugs and one small one, or other way around). Oh, and they don't have bed nets --> our travel partners had no problems since it is air conditioned, but if you are on the paranoid side or allergic to mosquito bites (like me), you'll need to bring your own bed net. No hooks so the stand-alone tent type is better!

Room Tip: Choose one with an ocean view!
1 Thank Jennifer L
Margarita
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

The hotel has an excellent location with a sea view and near Peri Peri Divers. Service is superb and the owners are constantly taking care of you. The rooms are really nice and very clean. There are to ways to go to the beach, one down the road which is smooth and another on the way to Peri Peri Divers which is not in its best shape but yet ok to go to the beach.
Thank you Jakkie & Daphne!

Room Tip: Top floors have better view
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 8 nights and it was beautiful. The B&B is very luxurious and has the best views in Tofo without a doubt. Our room (room 1) was enormous and very comfortable, and nothing beats lying ing in bed watching the sea over the balcony. The other key thing is that every room has air con, this is VERY important as in January when we were there it was 30 degrees and humid at night. You also feel very secure and that your possessions are safe. The only downside for us was that the owners were away when we stayed. Although the staff were very friendly and would do things if you asked (sometimes twice) they were obviously having down time. It was little things like the pool not being clean so you did not want to go in it and not putting cushions on the seats on the balcony so you had to go and ask for them. If this had been better this review would be 5 stars

The other thing to note is that as you are on the cliffs there are some badly maintained stairs down to the beach which you need to be steady on your feet to use. The road is a very long way into town. Also as nothing is lit take a torch, but that way you do get to enjoy the stars.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoJo088
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofo
Casa do Capitao
#5 of 11 in Tofo
Mozambeat Motel
Mozambeat Motel
#1 of 14 in Tofo

Been to Casa do Mar? Share your experiences!