“This place is very homey”
Review of Tahoe Chalet Inn

Ranked #38 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is an older hotel, about 4 blocks from the casinos. So much charm and very clean. The price was good and you get breakfast too. The staff was very nice and right on it. I plan on going back. The pool was being redone, but when you have Lake Tahoe to play in, the pool just didn't matter. Yes, this is a good place ;)

Room Tip: the rooms are all themed different, all really nice
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Alvin P, General Manager at Tahoe Chalet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

Dear Victoria,

We're ecstatic that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Tahoe Chalet Inn, Victoria. We strive to provide the best possible service and we're delighted that you had a positive experience with our Front Desk. We thank you for your review and look forward to welcoming you back to Tahoe Chalet Inn, South Lake Tahoe the next time you are in the area!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Tahoe Chalet Inn provides good value at a location that is quite central without being crowded or noisy. It is just minutes from the Nevada border (and casinos) and close to beaches and the Tahoe Keys. Their free continental breakfast is standard fare - coffee, cereal, yogurt, pastries, and such. Decent quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back row (south), away from the street and traffic noise.

Dear SMChico.

It is so rewarding to read that you had a such great stay with us at Tahoe Chalet Inn. Thank you for your comments. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the cleanliness of the room, convenience of location, and friendliness of the staff. Our goal is to give our guest the best possible experience, and I am very glad that we were able to accomplish that. However, your comment about the noise... we are close to HWY 50 but we do provide ear plugs and is available at the front desk should you visit us again. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel is very close to the base at heavenly. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful too. They offer free continental breakfast or a voucher for buy one get one free at the IHOP close by. The hotel is dated, but clean and unique with themed rooms. We had the Key Largo room which is located behind the main building. It is a quick drive around the corner. The room had a big jacuzzi tub, fridge, microwave, 4-cup coffee maker and hair dryer. While the room was clean, the bed was uncomfortable for me. I could not sleep through the night. My husband's side seemed fine for him. When we talked about it the next morning, it was obvious that the bed was noticeably slanted (my side), I kept waking up because I felt I was falling off of the bed. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. I will also concur with previous comments that there is some sort of odor that hits you when you enter the room. It's not moldy, just weird.

Thank Randall J. M

Dear RandallJM,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give our property a review. Your comments are appreciated. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the helpfulness and friendliness of our staff as well as the various hotel and guest room amenities. As well, we are so glad to hear that our location was a big factor in making your stay a pleasant and comfortable. You do us a tremendous service by insuring to inform us of your dissatisfaction with your experience regarding the odor and the discomfort of the bed.

My only wish is that you would have allowed us the opportunity to address the problems you experienced before departing but I also completely understand your feelings. It is through concerned guest such as you that we gain insight into areas of our business which require attention, areas that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

The new management team is eager and ready to please all of our guests with quality rooms and exceptional service. We are constantly updating our rooms with flat screen TV's, newer matrasses and trying to make them comfortable for all of our travelers. I will personally go over the room that you were in and update it as much as I can.

If you travel to our area again, please call me direct so I can personally assist you.

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Motel is located right on highway 50 so convenient walk to casinos and restaurants but also lots of traffic noise. But the noisy air conditioning worked very well and blocked out the traffic noise. The basic room was nice and clean and there was ice, laundry and a soda machine. The rooms vary widely but in our basic room looked like there were few updates to decor or fixture in 30 years.
Staff was very nice and helpful but did not honor our advance Orbitz reservation until after our return home. Competitive price for the location but no hair dryers, mini-frig or microwaves for this price. Breakfast included looked good, but did not open until 8:30 a.m. too late for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room farthest away from the traffic noise if possible. We would recommend bringing your ow...

Dear Anders317,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My family and I stayed in the family suite complete with a full kitchen, living room and 2 queen beds. Beds were comfortable, the hotel was quiet, parking was free (they accommodated multiple vehicles without and issue), laundry on site (one machine), light breakfast included. While it wasn't the newest place to stay in, we got A LOT of space and comfort for a reasonable price. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Traveler2014trip,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give our Tahoe Chalet Inn a great review. It is our pleasure to make sure all our guests are taken care of no matter what time of day it may be. Our staff is exceptional in all things customer service related and we thoroughly enjoy making each guest feel special each and every stay. So I will be sure to pass along your compliments. We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Although this motel is a bit dated (as most are in South Lake Tahoe), the 'theme' rooms are a nice touch and the staff is VERY helpful. Traveling as 2 couples, our reservation put us in a nice room with a canopy bed. But our friends were put in the 'back' part of the motel away from us in a nicer room with a 2 person Jacuzzi tub off the bedroom and separate from the bathroom/shower... so the friendly manager upgraded us to a similar room next to theirs, also with the tub. We found the bed very comfortable and slept well all four nights with no distractions. We also enjoyed the tub (it's HUGE) although getting the jets to work was a bit tricky.
They have a continental breakfast (did that three of the four days... great raisin toast and English muffins with OJ, etc.) and also offer special 2 for 1 at the IHOP down the street (did that once and it was great... save $9 off breakfast). The wedding chapel area is a nice place to relax and read.
Altogether is was a nice place to stay and worth the $80/night mid-summer. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms off the main street (2 story) are good. We stayed in rooms behind the motel and across a stre...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Doug-of-Clovis,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give the Tahoe Chalet Inn a great review. It is our pleasure to make sure all our guests are taken care of no matter what time of day it may be. Our staff is exceptional in all things customer service related and we thoroughly enjoy making each guest feel special each and every stay. So I will be sure to pass along your compliments. We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We booked this hotel through booking.com because we needed a place to stay that wasnt expensive and we just needed a room to crash in. I wasnt willing to pay $80 a night or more for a Super 8 or something like that, so I was thankful we found this place when we booked.

Check in is at 3:00 and if you want to check in early be prepared to pay a $10 fee. We had an event in Tahoe and had to check in early or we would have been checking in at 11pm, which we didnt want to do, so we paid the extra $10. The people at the front desk were very friendly. We were asked when checking in if we wanted the continental breakfast or the coupon for a buy one get one at IHOP. We chose the continental which you get little tickets for, to give them when you decide to have breakfast. I thought that was a little bit strange but maybe they have problems with randoms coming in and trying to eat? If I may make a suggestion and choose the IHOP two for one instead of the continental? It was lack luster to say the least. We gave our tickets back and asked for the coupon and went to IHOP to eat.

The property is pretty well taken care of. It is rustic and I am sure it is even more beautiful in the snow. We were here in late June. Our room was #109. The rooms are quite small. At first glance it was quite quaint, and a little bit romantic. Once we stepped in my opinion changed a little bit. You see this beautiful 4 poster canopy style bed. It is draped with see through material that is pretty. When you see what it is draped on you will see that it is not quite sturdy. One of the rods on the bed we were in was bent. If you grabbed one of the bigger poster type poles they werent very sturdy either. The bathroom is quite small. The toilet sits facing the sink, so if you have someone who is tall you might have an issue with knees hitting the sink. The shower is just an average stand up shower. We didnt even have time to use it so I cannot comment on water pressure or anything like that. The carpets have seen better days that is for sure. There was a burn in the carpet by the bed on the side closer to the bathroom. Couldnt tell if it was originally a cigarette burn or not but it was bigger than that. The ceiling was a bit weird when you layed down and looked up(pics included). The window in this room looked out to a white brick wall that was in a small little alley way next to the room. It was great for the morning time because you couldnt see any light(except the light that lights the little alley) so we didnt know what time of the day it was, it stayed quite dark in the room. The room temperature was naturally quite comfortable, we didnt have to use the thermostat. The bed was decently comfortable. It was firm enough and soft enough and I couldnt complain one bit about my nights sleep. The fixtures are a bit on the dated side as well as the furniture. Alot of this stuff doesnt bug me, but I put it in my review for people who might not want this type of thing in their hotel rooms.

This is probably one of the least expensive places you will find around this time of year in Tahoe, so the price is good for the area. Overall it is a decent place to stay. Friendly staff, reasonable rooms(even though they are small).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LearyTraveler

Dear LearyTraveler,

Thank you for your previous stay with us at the Tahoe Chalet Inn . We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor and sharing your experience with us. Its guests like you who are the true travel experts.

As you can imagine it disappoints us to read some of your comments regarding your experience with our hotel. We take comments such as yours very seriously, because we care about the quality of your experience from the instant you make your reservation to the moment you leave our hotel.

I have investigated your comments and have taken steps to make sure
that the problem you experienced does not happen again. As on going effort, we are under renovation and under new management.
Please know that I have addressed this issue with all of our maintenance staff to make sure they understand our policies and Preventive Maintenance are for the guestrooms. As the new GM, I am very excited and look forward to improve the quality of our rooms and the service we provide.

The new management team is eager and ready to please all of our guests with quality rooms and exceptional service. We are constantly updating our rooms and trying to make them comfortable for all of our travelers. I will personally go over the room that you were in and update it as much as I can.

We appreciate your patronage and I would like to have another opportunity to make up for the problems you experienced, and earn back your trust. I am certain that we have accommodations you will enjoy. Our team here at the Tahoe Chalet Inn, South Tahoe we really enjoys taking care of our guests...

Yours in hospitality,